Can You Overfeed A Kitten?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Dexter to the vet for his follow-up appointments and to get some boosters. He has had a round tummy since I first got him. I figured he still had hookworms (vet diagnosed him and dewormed him on his first visit on 11/9). When she saw him she commented on how good he looked. I asked about his belly and she took another fecal, which was negative! She asked how much I was feeding him and I answered that I was essentially giving him as much as he wanted. She said he was actually fat (her actual phrasing was "he has a food belly"...lol) and to cut back on the amount of food I was giving him. I have always heard that you can never overfeed a kitten...am I the first that has managed to?

He went from 3lbs5oz (as a skinny stray) on 11/9 to 5lbs8oz on 11/30. Now the vet is right...that is a considerable amount of weight for three weeks. However, I thought that is what kittens do...gain a lot of weight very quickly. She estimates him to be about 14 weeks old. I was wondering if I should be counting calories for him and how much I should be giving him.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply! We have been giving him half of a 5.5oz/1 of a 3oz can in the morning when the other cats get fed, leave dry food for him while we are at work (about 1/2 cup of kitten food), then repeat what we do in the morning at night when we feed the other cats their second meal. He also gets a snack before my husband comes to bed. I would say he is getting between 350 and 400 calories in a day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 14 weeks his little body is catching up from starving. I would not cut back. Like Willowy said, he is probably getting ready to grow again. The kitten belly is not unusual as long as its from eating.