can you mix dry and wet food together?

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetPea24

Cyndersmom, your idea is fine. I agree that utis aren't always diet related, hiwever, wet food does provide the moisture a cat needs. I am glad you have found a solution.
LOL, this thread has bounced all over the place. I agree with most of the thread and I would certainly not leave wet, or a wet dry mixed together out all day. I don't have any science to back me up on this ie; bacteria etc. but it just does not seem right to me, to leave wet out all day much less wet and dry mixed.

There is nothing wrong with an all kibble diet if the cat drinks enough water. And yes Sweet, wet provides moisture the cat needs. Cats are just not wired to go to the water bowl for a big slurp like the dog is so in many cases you have to make sure the meezer is getting moisture from it's wet diet

ohyeah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I mix it everyday since my cat was a kitten. then I switched to purina indoor to control hairballs. she loves it. the pate she doesnt like so i spoil her and she eats it all. but she acts like she wants more. i only feed her twice a day.  Hope this helps.

kathy

ohyeah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
try different wet food. i personally like Meow Mix the tuna and shrimp and salman, crab and shrimp. yep shes spoiled.

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Meow Mix typically has a bad rep. Too fish heavy and a member on here (can't remember for the life of me who it was though) found cooked bones in one of their kitties' cans! Not safe IMO. Search Meow Mix on here and you'll get a whole bunch more information. :D

tuxie181

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I mix fancy feast elegant medleys with blue buffalo dry food and my cat loves it. she will vomit up just dry food, or eat just canned food so fast that she vomits that up. so yeah I would recommend mixing foods!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prior to, going to whole live prey, twice daily, for my cats, I always fed, once or twice a day, a mix of wet and dry food. I am still, doing that, for, my terminally ill DLH Panda. Plus, whole live prey. I also leave out Evo dry, Chicken and Turkey recipe.

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll just say what I have experienced. Some cats can do well on kibble. Period.
If your cat likes kibble, give it kibble. I feed my boy only 3 oz of wet per day as well as kibble and he is doing very well. I HAVE to give him some wet or he will become constipated.

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll just say what I have experienced. Some cats can do well on kibble. Period.
If your cat likes kibble, give it kibble. I feed my boy only 3 oz of wet per day as well as kibble and he is doing very well. I HAVE to give him some wet or he will become constipated.
I disagree..if kitties CAN be fed wet or raw, they should be! Cats can do well on kibble, but that doesn't mean they will always do well on it. It's like saying a kid is doing well eating just candy. He may be doing fine now, but eventually he's going to have some impact from it! If older kitties are rejecting wet though, I agree that kibble is ok, because the most important thing is that they have appetite and are eating. But if the kitty is young, happy and healthy there is no reason why the kitty should be on kibble. :nod:

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I disagree..if kitties CAN be fed wet or raw, they should be! Cats can do well on kibble, but that doesn't mean they will always do well on it. It's like saying a kid is doing well eating just candy. He may be doing fine now, but eventually he's going to have some impact from it! If older kitties are rejecting wet though, I agree that kibble is ok, because the most important thing is that they have appetite and are eating. But if the kitty is young, happy and healthy there is no reason why the kitty should be on kibble. :nod:
Yes but the question is- will they? Sometimes no amount of persuasion and dedication will get a cat to switch from kibble to raw/wet. I have been trying for 2.5 years (particularly the past 7 months) and its not working. Then again- I have a senior that was always (as far as I know, we've had him for 2.5 years) on kibble.
If they are relatively young, there should be no issue. I would always recommend wet over dry but if a cat will not eat wet then I will not make a person feel like crap for feeding kibble. There are many more important things in my life to ponder... and should be in most people's lives.
Oh and I find it offensive to compare feeding kibble to kids eating candy. I (for example) have tried my damnedest to feed my cat raw AND wet food... it hasn't worked. Now I am a negligent, uncaring, lazy cat owner? No. I am just as concerned and diligent as any of you on here and to imply anything else if HIGHLY offensive. Sometimes people try their absolute best and there is no success. Choose your words more carefully please.
OP- good luck trying to find a happy medium :vibes:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While this is an important discussion, the OP started the thread in the summer of 2011 and hasn't been on TCS since March of this year.