Can you "make" a kitten into a lap cat?

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know I know. . .you can't make a cat do anything! LOL

But. . .do you think you can influence a kitten to become more of a lap cat? We have a 7mo and a 5mo, they are very bonded to each other, but also to me. However, they just aren't lap cats. during the day I don't get a lot of snuggles unless I approach them (they gladly accept pets and scratches though!). At night they often sleep near me, right next to my body and the younger normally wants pets at 4am. :rolleyes: But if I'm sitting on the couch or anywhere they do not try to get in my lap and if I put them there they jump off.

Can I encourage being in the lap. . .will they develop more fondness for it as they age? Or is this just who they are? Is it because they have each other to snuggle? (And how does one find a lap cat???)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. They are very young yet, so as they age it is possible they will want more snuggles with you and be on your cat to get them. Only time will tell for sure! You could try treats to encourage them to sit in your lap, but the odds are they will jump right back down after the treats are gone! Get them used to being brushed - and, on your lap - that might start a pattern if they like brushings. Find spots that they love to have petted/scratched and focus on those areas when you do happen to get them to stay on your lap for a minute or two. But, as a rule, you don't want to force them to stay on your lap without them feeling as if they are getting a 'reward' for doing so, or it could backfire on you and they could be more resistant to it.

The way one finds a lap cat is to adopt an older cat that has either been abandoned or left behind because their owner has passed away or can no longer care for them - and even then, there is no guarantee. I just know the older my cats got, the more inclined they were to want to hang out on my lap. At Feeby's age (15+ yo), she would be on my lap 24/7 if I would stay in one place long enough!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The best way to turn a kitten into a lap cat is to snuggle them when they are sleepy and let them sleep on you for as long as you can. Kittens naturally gravitate towards the warmth of another body when they are tired. When they seem to be getting tired or are falling asleep set them in you lap and stroke their nose slowly from end to forehead. Or place them up by your chin and stroke the back of their head. Usually doesnt take more than a few minutes before they konk out. When they are asleep or even half asleep is also a good time to massage their paws and get them used to their paws been handled. This will make trimming their claws much easier as they get older.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl wasn't a lap cat when she was a kitten, she was super active (and still is) and I just assumed she didn't have time for that and enjoyed other things way more, despite being very social and always around us humans. She would occasionally snuggle with us at night, but never during a day. Even being touched was not her thing, unless around meal times. I always respected this and never forced her into being on my laps. That changed several months ago, she's almost 3yo now, and she started occasionally climbing on my husband lap (I like to think it's because mine are usually taken by another cat, who is truly and annoyingly lap cat). Now she does it almost everyday and these moments still feel very special. So I like to think that time, love and respect is all it takes. But be careful what you wish for, hours spent in one position with full bladder and hunger are inevitable with lap cats.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't really use a kitten as a guide for indicative future behavior. They are still way too young and the world is still way too exciting to them. Everything is a fun game to them now, so it will be awhile before they will want to just chill on somebody's lap.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its hard when they are kittens and have so much energy, they often dont want to be still like that, they'd rather walk back and forth and rub on you or run around and play. The fact that at night they sleep next to your body is a good sign!!

As they get older and want to be pet for longer and sit still longer, I did teach Grey to sit on my lap. BUT, I knew based on his personality he would like it if only he got the idea. I would put treats on the top of my chest if laying down or top of my leg if sitting up so he needed to climb on me to get them. Then once he was there I would just start petting him, rubbing his face and telling him how good he was and sort of make him settle down on my lap. Once you pet Grey he wont move cause he loves pets, so all i had to do was get him in the right spot and start petting until he would lay down, lol. After a few times he just started to come to my lap for pets. 9 years later he eats up hugs and lays on me every chance he gets.

Part of it's personality, but also sometimes you need to introduce them to the concept of stepping on you. My newest cat still will not step on my body. Noodle slowly learned it was okay to step on me. Once they learn that, then you show them they can sleep there and your warm, and you will pet them if they do! Win win.