Important Can You Help Us Spread The Word In Social Media?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Trying to reach new cat owners and spread the word about good cat care is a constant challenge.

Social media networks have their own algorithms which control post visibility. They all rely on feedback from users - the more views, shares, likes etc., the more likely are other users to see the message in their feed.

Which is where you can help! :dancingblackcat:

I'd like to try and embed some of our social media posts here in this thread, adding as we publish new ones. If you have an account with that social media and you're logged in, you should be able to see the "like" and "share" links within the posts. You don't even have to leave TCS - just click from within the embedded post to like, share or comment.

Every interaction you have with these posts will help us spread the word!

Here's how this would work -

1. Subscribe to this thread by clicking on "Watch Thread" at the top.
2. Visit the thread for new updates (you should be notified via email for new posts here, provided you click through and view them every time).
3. Hit "like", "share/retweet", or comment in the embedded post.

That's it!

Which social media networks are we talking about?

We currently have four social media channels (managed by yours truly) -
Thecatsite.com
TheCatSite.com (@thecatsite) | Twitter
https://www.Pinterest.com/thecatsite
https://www.Instagram.com/thecatsite

Clearly, Facebook is the largest of the four but I'm sure some members are members of other networks too. Every like helps!

I'm going to run this as an experiment for one month. Fingers crossed we can make that change by coming together as a community!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anne, I hope it is ok that on Instagram, I have the Cat Site website listed in my profile as a resource for cat related questions. If not, let me know and I'll remove it. I follow and, am followed by other cat lovers; some affiliated with major well known rescues such as Beth Stern and Kitten Lady.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Anne, I hope it is ok that on Instagram, I have the Cat Site website listed in my profile as a resource for cat related questions. If not, let me know and I'll remove it. I follow and, am followed by other cat lovers; some affiliated with major well known rescues such as Beth Stern and Kitten Lady.
It's absolutely fine! It's awesome! And thank you very much! :redheartpump::hugs:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Awesome kitty links ! :thanks:
I'm thinking most here drop a link when on the internet. The last site I was visiting already found this place . It does pop up on Google when doing a cat related question search . That is how I found it .

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
~ Awesome kitty links ! :thanks:
I'm thinking most here drop a link when on the internet. The last site I was visiting already found this place . It does pop up on Google when doing a cat related question search . That is how I found it .
Yes, Google likes us :happycat:

It's social media that's more difficult to score, especially Facebook. Not easy to accomplish when it's just me doing it (on top of a gazillion other site tasks :help:). I'm reluctant about outsourcing this because it's very important for me to carry over our "TCS voice" where cats come first (not laughs at the expense of cats).

I'm hoping community members here will be able to help :cheerleader:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
My wife and I don't use Facebook so I asked my mother and my wife's sister to do it :) I also pointed out the Pinterest as my wife's sister uses Pinterest a lot. I am guessing they don't need to be a TCS member to Like, Share and Pin.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trying to reach new cat owners and spread the word about good cat care is a constant challenge.

Social media networks have their own algorithms which control post visibility. They all rely on feedback from users - the more views, shares, likes etc., the more likely are other users to see the message in their feed.

Which is where you can help! :dancingblackcat:

I'd like to try and embed some of our social media posts here in this thread, adding as we publish new ones. If you have an account with that social media and you're logged in, you should be able to see the "like" and "share" links within the posts. You don't even have to leave TCS - just click from within the embedded post to like, share or comment.

Every interaction you have with these posts will help us spread the word!

Here's how this would work -

1. Subscribe to this thread by clicking on "Watch Thread" at the top.
2. Visit the thread for new updates (you should be notified via email for new posts here, provided you click through and view them every time).
3. Hit "like", "share/retweet", or comment in the embedded post.

That's it!

Which social media networks are we talking about?

We currently have four social media channels (managed by yours truly) -
Thecatsite.com
TheCatSite.com (@thecatsite) | Twitter
https://www.Pinterest.com/thecatsite
https://www.Instagram.com/thecatsite

Clearly, Facebook is the largest of the four but I'm sure some members are members of other networks too. Every like helps!

I'm going to run this as an experiment for one month. Fingers crossed we can make that change by coming together as a community!
Excellent idea, Anne. Already doing this on fb and twitter to some extent, but am watching the thread now. ;)

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
My wife and I don't use Facebook so I asked my mother and my wife's sister to do it :) I also pointed out the Pinterest as my wife's sister uses Pinterest a lot. I am guessing they don't need to be a TCS member to Like, Share and Pin.
They don't and thank you! By the way, they may want to share these posts :thumbsup: -

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
A few more items to like and share -

chaunceysk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a LONG-time lurker (but just joined); whenever I was researching an issue with Hedda (RIP), TCS was one of the first few links that showed up in search. So you're doing lots of things right :) I just followed you on Instagram (I'm @morethantuna, though I also have a personal account under chaunceysk chaunceysk ). I believe it's possible to link to blog posts/articles from your Instagram Story (I've seen a few people do this, though I haven't yet figured out how).

The foster community on Instagram is HUGE and mutually supportive--there are dozens of foster accounts that would LOVE to be able to refer questions to TCS (I'll mention this to individual fosters whenever possible).

In my experience, Instagram has more of a "cats first" community than FB. (It's also a LOT easier to manage an IG account than a FB page, at least for this Gen Xer.) It might help to pick one platform--wherever you're getting the most response--and focus on building that (at least, that's the advice that was given to me...). I look forward to your posts!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm a LONG-time lurker (but just joined); whenever I was researching an issue with Hedda (RIP), TCS was one of the first few links that showed up in search. So you're doing lots of things right :) I just followed you on Instagram (I'm @morethantuna, though I also have a personal account under chaunceysk chaunceysk ). I believe it's possible to link to blog posts/articles from your Instagram Story (I've seen a few people do this, though I haven't yet figured out how).

The foster community on Instagram is HUGE and mutually supportive--there are dozens of foster accounts that would LOVE to be able to refer questions to TCS (I'll mention this to individual fosters whenever possible).

In my experience, Instagram has more of a "cats first" community than FB. (It's also a LOT easier to manage an IG account than a FB page, at least for this Gen Xer.) It might help to pick one platform--wherever you're getting the most response--and focus on building that (at least, that's the advice that was given to me...). I look forward to your posts!
Welcome to TCS :hithere:and thank you for your feedback and recommendations! I absolutely agree with the focusing advice for bloggers (I do that with my blog, focusing only on Twitter). I think TCS is at the point where we have to be "out there" in other platforms too :blush: We've waited a long while on Instagram and it's time to take the plunge. Great to hear that about the IG community! I'll keep it in mind and try to post more about our rescue related content too and will look into posting stories there too. Thanks for the tips!:heartshape:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Anyone around to help me boost this post with a few likes, comments and shares?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Participation is picking up on our Facebook page - thank you! A few more to share, like and comment on -

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anne Anne - I just noticed that you only have Facebook, twitter and email buttons under the articles (I was looks at the cat quotes). It would be good to have Pinterest and Instagram buttons too...in fact, I'm sure we used to have at least a Pinterest button :confused2:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Anne Anne - I just noticed that you only have Facebook, twitter and email buttons under the articles (I was looks at the cat quotes). It would be good to have Pinterest and Instagram buttons too...in fact, I'm sure we used to have at least a Pinterest button :confused2:
The Pinterest button under the articles is broken and we have to wait for the plugin update for it to be fixed, sorry! I don't think there's such a thing as an instagram sharing button? Instagram requires that you upload from your phone (i.e. your own content). They also don't allow links in posts.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
This is really cute to watch -

And sharing a few more -

And from Twitter -

And Instagram -