Can you feel a microchip?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Can a person feel a microchip in a cat? Monet is Microchipped, and I felt something small and hard between his shoulders just under his skin (size of a rice I'd think). I didn't think one could feel it, but is it possible?

Last edited:

bshcatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is definitely possible to feel the microchip underneath the skin.  And from what you're describing, based on size and location, that's probably what it is.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it is rather difficult but possible. You did surely felt the chip, as it is usually placed there. The size sounds right too.

Although it CAN wander sometimes.  And some vets place it more to the side of the neck.

This is why the safest is to look with a special instrument - easy to screen over the whole body if need be.

But in the easy cases it is possible to feel it yourself, even for non vets.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I wanted to make sure it was the chip I was feeling and nothing else!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I wanted to make sure it was the chip I was feeling and nothing else!

Ah, if you are worried it can be something else.  It can, there can prob be several different possiblities

(and some flies can surely place in their larvae - this isnt that rare in some climate)

Although if your cat does has chip - the normal guess should be it IS the chip.

If you are fairly sure the cat doesnt have chip - I would contact a vet.

Good luck!   *vibes*

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can feel the microchip on my younger cat, but that's mostly because I got him when he was 8 weeks old, so the chip felt massive udner his skin and I remembered where it was. Plus, the chip is on a strip of white fur directly in between two of his orange patches, so i know where to feel for it.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, you can feel the chips :nod:. Although, now that Pipsqueak is fatter, I don't feel his anymore :bigwink:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I feel Lucky's - it's more towards the side of her neck, and about the size of a grain of rice.... :wavey:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can feel both of my kitties' chips.  It was funny with Hannah because it started off in one place, but as she grew, it moved.  Both of my kitties' chips are located near their shoulders.

thembcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can feel Chacho's microchip. Its between the shoulder blades and its kind of rectangle shaped.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every now and then I will feel Binkys chip when petting her. I just try to not disturb it and move my fingers over a bit.

sally leclerc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also feel my Kittens chip by his shoulder. Thank you. I was worried about the placement.