Can we talk catios?!!!

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure where to put this thread. . .but my husband gave me the green light to start planning for a smallish catio. Yay!!! I'm really excited. . .I am committed to keeping my cats indoors, but I love the idea of giving them safe access to some outside. I've been looking at catiospaces.com, but I'm not sure if here DIY plans are going to work on our unusually large windows?

Anyway, I'd just love to chat with some people have have built catios and what your experience was. What you wished you had done, etc. Also I'd love to see pictures! :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So here’s the only place we’d be able to add a Catio. It’s a large panel of windows (8’6” tall by 10’wide) and hubby would rather it not be in front of all three windows. So I was thinking of having it be about 6’6” wide and cover two of the windows. I feel it would be better if the frame fell along the frame of the windows instead of crossing in front of one.
This is our back yard and our covered porch is on one side and the AC unit on the other. It looks into our living room. . .so I guess one human concern is that it would block a lot of our view out to our yard. But we have no other place for it to go. . . and yes we would use one of the windows as the access point for cats.

But the size doesn’t match the diy plans you can buy.
So I could try to find someone to design one. We probably wouldn’t build it all ourselves either, were not super handy, but I'm not sure of the level of project if you buy the DIY plans.

(oh hey see our awesome cat tree there?! :))

76A2F7C5-750D-4592-9FEE-4C287ADB7A4E.jpeg

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
56512DB1-D8E9-4F30-9EC5-DF602873222E.jpeg
I did a really fancy mark up to show you where I think the catio would go. 😂 No problem removing those bushes. What do people do for the “floor”?

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, we have a neighbor cat that hangs out in our yard with some regularity. . .do you think this is going to be a problem once my cats are out there in a catio?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are building it yourself. I suggest "horse panels / Horse fencing". Heavy wire that will stand on it's own with 4"x2" openings.
Frame it out with treated 2x4 lumber. Cut fence panels with some cheap "bolt cutters". Use hammer in fencing staples to attach fencing to framework.
OR....Cut the fencing panels the size you want and fasten them directly together in the corners using 3/4 inch "hog rings". (hog rings and hog ring pliers are cheap and easy to use).
The wire will stand on it's own. Any frame would just be for moral support. EXCEPT, you'll need frame attached to house as something to secure the wire fencing to.

This is horse panel fencing. Such framework is not needed for smaller projects. Actually about half of THAT framework wasn't actually "needed".

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are building it yourself. I suggest "horse panels / Horse fencing". Heavy wire that will stand on it's own with 4"x2" openings.
Frame it out with treated 2x4 lumber. Cut fence panels with some cheap "bolt cutters". Use hammer in fencing staples to attach fencing to framework.
OR....Cut the fencing panels the size you want and fasten them directly together in the corners using 3/4 inch "hog rings". (hog rings and hog ring pliers are cheap and easy to use).
The wire will stand on it's own. Any frame would just be for moral support. EXCEPT, you'll need frame attached to house as something to secure the wire fencing to.

This is horse panel fencing. Such framework is not needed for smaller projects. Actually about half of THAT framework wasn't actually "needed".
well that is certainly out of our league!!! LOL but very impressive! Do your cats ever even want to be indoors with you?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well that is certainly out of our league!!! LOL but very impressive! Do your cats ever even want to be indoors with you?
He "seems" to be happier indoors. But when it comes right down to it, he's content either place. Lately, he's gotten to where he doesn't like to "go". If he's inside, he gets a little upset when he has to go outside. Once there, he's good. If he's outside, he gets cranky when it's time to come in...until he gets there.
Our tabby has a screened in porch with a pet door for access in and out. But, that pet door is a last resort. He would rather you open the door for him. He prefers the "going" rather than the being somewhere though. He'll beg for you to let him out. No sooner than he gets outside, he's climbing the door screaming for you to let him back in. This will repeat as long as you allow it to. :lol:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 323572I did a really fancy mark up to show you where I think the catio would go. 😂 No problem removing those bushes. What do people do for the “floor”?
Im also planning on building a catio this year.

Suggestion to you......

How about moving the catio to the right in your picture. Have it cover only one window and extend it onto the deck.

That way you will only see the catio from one window, not two and you can utilize the existing patio roof as coverage for the catio.

The cats might also prefer to be away from the air conditioner....ours can be a bit noisy.

If you were going to let the bushes partially obstruct the windows in time........how about instead, planting a small ornamental tree in front of the two windows? This will attract birds and give the cats some interest.

I have a similar situation to your window placement. I plan on building a cat door into a portion of a window. The door will be part of a short tunnel that will lead to the catio. This way I can position the catio between two sets of windows and only the small cat door will be visible from within the house. I can include a pic if that will help.

The catio will be quite small.......about 8 feet long, 4 feet wide and 8 feet high. Its purpose will be to give the boys some fresh air when im busy. Most days I sit with them outside and let them roam safely in a large fenced area. We have coyotes and foxes.

Last edited:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 323572I did a really fancy mark up to show you where I think the catio would go. 😂 No problem removing those bushes. What do people do for the “floor”?
For the floor......I will use planks 2x6 up to 2x12.....what ever I can find cheaply. I wont use pressure treated lumber in the catio for fear of poisoning the cats if they walk on it. A 3/4" plywood floor would be structurally sound but will not weather well in our climate.

The planks will be screwed to 4×4 lumber, (used as joists) about 4 feet long.

The 4x4s will sit on 30 inch by 30 inch patio stones.

This way I will have good drainage between the floor boards and no wood will touch soil. If any part ever rots, it can simply be unscrewed and new lumber put in place. I think I will make the screening from black chain link fencing. This is so it will match the other fencing in the yard. I can also find used chain link fence and posts very cheaply on the internet. I think the chain link will also look a bit better as I am in the city and this catio will be visible from the sidewalk. Otherwise I would use the horse fencing or something similar as suggested here.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im also planning on building a catio this year.

Suggestion to you......

How about moving the catio to the right in your picture. Have it cover only one window and extend it onto the deck.

That way you will only see the catio from one window, not two and you can utilize the existing patio roof as coverage for the catio.

The cats might also prefer to be away from the air conditioner....ours can be a bit noisy.

If you were going to let the bushes partially obstruct the windows in time........how about instead, planting a small ornamental tree in front of the two windows? This will attract birds and give the cats some interest.

I have a similar situation to your window placement. I plan on building a cat door into a portion of a window. The door will be part of a short tunnel that will lead to the catio. This way I can position the catio between two sets of windows and only the small cat door will be visible from within the house. I can include a pic if that will help.

The catio will be quite small.......about 8 feet long, 4 feet wide and 8 feet high. Its purpose will be to give the boys some fresh air when im busy. Most days I sit with them outside and let them roam safely in a large fenced area. We have coyotes and foxes.
thank you so much!!!! I would love to see pictures of your plans

funnily enough as I was talking to my hubby ab out it, he suggested exactly what you have that we use the window closest to the porch and extend the catio to be also under our porch. that way we retain more of our view and also give the cats more weather coverage. I think it's likely our best option. The only drawbacks to that plan are 1) the cats won't get any direct sunlight which I would prefer, although really anything on this side of the house probably won't and 2) we won't be able to use the DIY catio plans that you can purchase, but will have to get more custom made plans.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

good thought about the AC unit. . .

and yes I"m thinking of something similar sized. . .the plans I were looking at were for 7x3x8. we don't have much of a yard to begin with so just something for them to enjoy some fresh air and some extra mental stimulation.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you so much!!!! I would love to see pictures of your plans

funnily enough as I was talking to my hubby ab out it, he suggested exactly what you have that we use the window closest to the porch and extend the catio to be also under our porch. that way we retain more of our view and also give the cats more weather coverage. I think it's likely our best option. The only drawbacks to that plan are 1) the cats won't get any direct sunlight which I would prefer, although really anything on this side of the house probably won't and 2) we won't be able to use the DIY catio plans that you can purchase, but will have to get more custom made plans.
90 percent of the plans will remain the same. The base of the catio will have to be modified slightly, but this is a simple and inexpensive change.

The top of the catio may have to be also modified, but this will also be simple and inexpensive. The shelves, ledges, door to the catio etc will remain the same. Any reasonably skilled carpenter can design and make this for you.

I dont have any plans yet as im still figuring out my catio. But it will be simple, easily repairable, secure, reasonably pleasant to look at and will have to have some sort of covered roof. I will also, put a bird feeder nearby the catio, where the birds are safe and the cats entertained.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
90 percent of the plans will remain the same. The base of the catio will have to be modified slightly, but this is a simple and inexpensive change.

The top of the catio may have to be also modified, but this will also be simple and inexpensive. The shelves, ledges, door to the catio etc will remain the same. Any reasonably skilled carpenter can design and make this for you.

I dont have any plans yet as im still figuring out my catio. But it will be simple, easily repairable, secure, reasonably pleasant to look at and will have to have some sort of covered roof. I will also, put a bird feeder nearby the catio, where the birds are safe and the cats entertained.
yes i suppose you are right. need ti find a carpenter, handy man type. i bet my brother could do it, but not sure he has the time. (sorry typing with a cat laying on my arm!) we do have a bird feeder just about where I am standing to take my pic. . .the cats hang out at those windows and watch the birds and squirrels. .I can't wait for them to be even more out there and near the birds that come.
i do worry a bit about a neighbor cat (outdoor/indoor) that tends to wander thru our yard.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neighbourhood cat can be detered with a motion sensor water sprinkler. I did this with critters damaging my lawn.

Perhaps you could turn the catio sideways so the 3 foot width is between the windows on the patio and the windows over the bushes. You could then do the same as im planning and use a cat door in a window to a short tunnel into the catio. That way none of the windows are blocked by a catio and only a cat door will be visible from the bottom portion of the window to the immediate left of the patio windows. This will also give excellent air flow (scents) thru the catio for the cats interests. It will also give the cats a greater range of view, instead of looking back into the window of the house. Decisions decisions.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This might not be what you’re looking for but I have a more temporary set up since I live in an apartment - we have a ground floor patio that’s basically a concrete pad with no railings or anything, and I built a little 5’x5’ cube out of press-fit PVC pipe, heavy nylon netting (think the kind they use for soccer goals but smaller holes) and chicken wire for the floor, and zip ties. It’s open on one side and that side is up against the wall where the cat door is. It’s definitely not as pretty or big as a more involved wood one but if anyone needs something more portable or temporary I’d recommend it! 1” PVC is very sturdy and it only took me about a day to build.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This might not be what you’re looking for but I have a more temporary set up since I live in an apartment - we have a ground floor patio that’s basically a concrete pad with no railings or anything, and I built a little 5’x5’ cube out of press-fit PVC pipe, heavy nylon netting (think the kind they use for soccer goals but smaller holes) and chicken wire for the floor, and zip ties. It’s open on one side and that side is up against the wall where the cat door is. It’s definitely not as pretty or big as a more involved wood one but if anyone needs something more portable or temporary I’d recommend it! 1” PVC is very sturdy and it only took me about a day to build.
that sounds cool. do you have a picture of this invention of yours?