Can Too Much Miralax Cause Weight Loss?

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! Enzo has lost very small amounts of weight steadily over the past 4 months. He’s lost 3/4 of a pound since January, losing small amounts each month (I weigh him monthly and he was at the vet today who confirmed his weight). He had full labs/blood work 4 months ago and everything was great. Nothing was even on the high or low end that would lead me to believe anything kidney/thyroid/organ wise is wrong. I am taking him in next week for more labs to be sure, but I’m wondering if I’ve found the culprit.

He has IBD and has suffered from constipation so he’s been getting Miralax daily, 1/4 tsp, for awhile now (maybe 8 months). I try to adjust it when I see his stools are okay, but because I use clumping litter sometimes it’s hardened up before I get to it. He recently has had very soft/sometimes liquid stools over the past few months that my husband and I have both noticed. He even didn’t make it to the litter box a few times and pooped on the floor. During those times I either dialed back or adjusted the Miralax.

Because he’s acting totally normal, eating/drinking/urinating totally normal, I’m at a loss along with the vet about what might be causing the weight loss. Do you think it‘s possible that the periodic diarrhea from the Miralax could cause minimal amounts of weight loss?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have B12 levels been checked? IBD cats often have low B12 levels which affects nutrient absorption and weight loss.

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat? I was about to post almost the same question... Mine is also on Miralax for chronic feline megacolon (Lactulose did nothing; Miralax saved his life after repeated impactions/obstructions) and has taken it for over ten years now -- or since whenever it first came out. He's now 15 and is steadily losing weight and having runnier poops that are tarry and pudding-y. The vet even said it contained blood, yet he's not anemic, and his blood panels are perfectly normal. Because he's older (Maine Coon; 15 is about their expected lifespan) and stresses out horribly when he even sees the carrier, much less goes to the vet, I won't subject him to a lot of invasive tests or surgeries. I've actually been wondering if it couldn't be intestinal lymphosarcoma, which is quite common in older male cats. That may be something to ask your vet, as well. I haven't been able to visit mine due to the COVID crisis and wouldn't opt for the chemo treatment even if this were the diagnosis, so I'm just keeping a watchful eye on him for now. However, I'm interested in the replies you'll get and will be "lurking." Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have B12 levels been checked? IBD cats often have low B12 levels which affects nutrient absorption and weight loss.
A all4mom LTS3 LTS3 He just turned 14. If it’s not something normally on a senior panel then I don’t think his b12 has been checked. I was worried about nutrient absorption because I read that older cats can have trouble as they age, so I very recently added digestive enzymes to his diet. As far as the lymphoma, he actually had to have surgery a few years ago because he swallowed some of my hair ties (he also lost small amounts of weight with that which has me mildly concerned he could’ve swallowed something again) and during the surgery they took a biopsy and it was negative thankfully.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It might not be on a senior panel. There is a specific test for B12 the vet has to order when submitting a sample. Some vets may not be aware that low B12 levels are common in IBD cats. You can talk to the vet about B12.

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It might not be on a senior panel. There is a specific test for B12 the vet has to order when submitting a sample. Some vets may not be aware that low B12 levels are common in IBD cats. You can talk to the vet about B12.
So I had Enzo at the vet today to run labs/urine. They told me that for b12 levels to be checked he would have to stay there all day so they could be checked multiple times over a period of several hours. It also was really expensive, almost $200 which is what I pay for all of his labs combined. Does this seem right? I had no idea he’d have to stay all day.

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You got responses in your other thread :)
Thank you so much! I wasn’t sure how to merge this with the new one I posted today solely about b12.