Can The Furminator Be Washed?

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Smo groomed her stomach bald over the past month and developed a couple hot spots, and we realized it was because of the new cat tree we got - it was treated with some strong-smelling chemicals that Smo had an allergic reaction to. We removed the cat tree a couple weeks ago and she's already getting her undercoat back in.

I used the Furminator on her during the overgrooming/cat tree phase, and I don't want to use it on her again without cleaning it in case there's chemical residue left behind. What's the best way to do this? It seems like there are parts that could get waterlogged if washed, but I don't know if wiping down the brush would get all the chemicals off.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, don't soak it. Just run it under water quickly and give it a scrub with an old toothbrush and dish soap. That should get rid of the nasties without getting it filled with water. Shake it out and wipe it dry as much as you can.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I guess the comb area can be washed. But, for the rest of the tool, is it possible to use a 50/50 spray solution of water/vinegar on it, to avoid too much water? In case, you worried about residue on the rest of it?? Is it apparent I really don't have an idea?? :drool:

What are you doing with the cat tree? You could take it outside, and scrub it with water/ammonia, and then take a hand held steamer to it. Let it dry, and maybe still be able to use it????

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner Hopefully the Furminator will be fine! Smo's generally allergy-prone so my main worry is that I'll get water in the brush and it'll grow mold. With the cat tree I don't want to take any chances, since there are parts with sisal that can't be properly cleaned - we're in the process of returning the tree to Amazon.

A ArchyCat We're returning it! Her undercoat is growing back in but her scabs still haven't fallen off, and I'm not taking any chances of this ever happening again. I'm bummed because she loved her tree, but all the ones I'm finding are covered in carpet - even scratching posts all have a carpet base. I guess she'll have to make do with the perches we got her...

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smo groomed her stomach bald over the past month and developed a couple hot spots, and we realized it was because of the new cat tree we got - it was treated with some strong-smelling chemicals that Smo had an allergic reaction to. We removed the cat tree a couple weeks ago and she's already getting her undercoat back in.

I used the Furminator on her during the overgrooming/cat tree phase, and I don't want to use it on her again without cleaning it in case there's chemical residue left behind. What's the best way to do this? It seems like there are parts that could get waterlogged if washed, but I don't know if wiping down the brush would get all the chemicals off.
I would do as the others said, return the tree, run the comb under water to remove the chemicals and go on with it.
I've used the furminator, and I wasn't really impressed. Just be aware that it cuts the coat as it works, so it might not be your best option right now if she's over grooming and if you're trying to bring her coat back. Used sparingly it should be fine, but I would trade it in as a daily grooming tool.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 Oh I didn't know that it cut the coat - that makes me less inclined to use it. I haven't furminated her in over a month, but before that I was only doing it about once a week and it didn't seem to be doing much. I used it mostly to pick off the stray hair on her back so they wouldn't get everywhere, but she does a good job getting most of them off during grooming.

Right now the only brushing she's getting is with my $30 powder brush from Sephora, lol. It was sitting in the closet untouched for a few months and it apparently now belongs to Smo.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clearly "The Furminator" is not what I thought you were talking about... :noob:View attachment 271584VERSUS what i thought...
View attachment 271585
:flail::flail::flail::flail::flail:
:thumbsup:
smosmosmo smosmosmo it should be alright used sparingly; once in a while it shouldn't do harm. I would watch what kind of fur you're getting in the brush...or comb...or whatever it is. ;) If you're getting that soft undercoat stuff, that's fine but if you start seeing the longer top hairs, probably time to stop.
Something like a small pin brush might do a lot to remove loose hair without removing too much and act as a massage to her skin, if she was over grooming this would benefit. It is the closest I can think of to a rubber curry brush that are used on the horses to remove dead hair, keep the rest of the hair intact, improve skin condition and makes them shiny. So shiny you need sunglasses. :cool2:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have rubber curry brushes for cats too, called Zoom Groom. You could use a horse brush but Zoom Grooms are softer. They get a lot of loose hair, and most cats love them.