Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Featured Can The Furminator Be Washed?

Discussion in 'Grooming & General Cat Care' started by smosmosmo, Jan 11, 2019 at 3:02 PM.

1. smosmosmo

smosmosmo Thread Starter TCS Member Adult Cat

Jun 8, 2018
    Smo groomed her stomach bald over the past month and developed a couple hot spots, and we realized it was because of the new cat tree we got - it was treated with some strong-smelling chemicals that Smo had an allergic reaction to. We removed the cat tree a couple weeks ago and she's already getting her undercoat back in.

I used the Furminator on her during the overgrooming/cat tree phase, and I don't want to use it on her again without cleaning it in case there's chemical residue left behind. What's the best way to do this? It seems like there are parts that could get waterlogged if washed, but I don't know if wiping down the brush would get all the chemicals off.

ArchyCat purraised this.

2. RajaNMizu

RajaNMizu TCS Member Alpha Cat

May 28, 2018
    smosmosmo and ArchyCat purraised this.

3. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Yeah, don't soak it. Just run it under water quickly and give it a scrub with an old toothbrush and dish soap. That should get rid of the nasties without getting it filled with water. Shake it out and wipe it dry as much as you can.

smosmosmo and ArchyCat purraised this.

4. FeebysOwner

FeebysOwner TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 13, 2018
    Central FL (Born in OH)
    Hi. I guess the comb area can be washed. But, for the rest of the tool, is it possible to use a 50/50 spray solution of water/vinegar on it, to avoid too much water? In case, you worried about residue on the rest of it?? Is it apparent I really don't have an idea?? :drool:

What are you doing with the cat tree? You could take it outside, and scrub it with water/ammonia, and then take a hand held steamer to it. Let it dry, and maybe still be able to use it????

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 3:53 PM
    smosmosmo purraised this.

5. ArchyCat

ArchyCat TCS Member Alpha Cat

Nov 22, 2017
    Texas
    I would put the cat tree in the trash!

smosmosmo purraised this.

6. smosmosmo

smosmosmo Thread Starter TCS Member Adult Cat

Jun 8, 2018
    @FeebysOwner Hopefully the Furminator will be fine! Smo's generally allergy-prone so my main worry is that I'll get water in the brush and it'll grow mold. With the cat tree I don't want to take any chances, since there are parts with sisal that can't be properly cleaned - we're in the process of returning the tree to Amazon.

@ArchyCat We're returning it! Her undercoat is growing back in but her scabs still haven't fallen off, and I'm not taking any chances of this ever happening again. I'm bummed because she loved her tree, but all the ones I'm finding are covered in carpet - even scratching posts all have a carpet base. I guess she'll have to make do with the perches we got her...

FeebysOwner purraised this.

7. ArchyCat

ArchyCat TCS Member Alpha Cat

Nov 22, 2017
    Texas
    Look for one with sisal(?) rope. My cats like them.