Can someone tell me what might be wrong with my kitten?

jenmoralesss30

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been trying to contact many vets but they are all backed up. I have a 11 week old kitten that I am not sure what the issue is. I’ve given her so many different food brands but none of them seem to work. She hasn’t gained weight and she’s been the same size since I’ve gotten her which was at 8 weeks. I have been feeding her IAMS packets because that's the only thing she is able to eat but she is now starting to react to it. I tried giving her another food but she reacted to it. I have added a link to a video of how she reacts when she eats any kitten food. I have also attached a picture of her and my other cat. She is the cat on the right and my other cat who eats normally is on the left. They are both 12 weeks old and if you look you can see how much larger he is compared to her since he is able to put on weight. Currently, she is acting less energetic than usual. Whenever I approach her she is usually super excited to see me and usually runs to me but now she just stares at me and sits. I would hate to give her up and I would love some advice from anyone please!

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your cat seems to be having trouble breathing and needs to see a vet asap. I understand you're having trouble finding one, but is there an ER vet near you at least? This really does not look normal and with the lack of weight gain, there's obviously something going on needing medical attention, sooner than later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenmoralesss30

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sadly there are no vets near me. I called multiple vets today and both of them were backed up (one till November and another till January). She has this reaction for about 5 minutes and it then eventually calms down. While she has the reaction I check her gums to see if she is getting enough air and they are nice and pink (indicating she is getting enough air). I also checked her airway and it was full of foam. The video I posted was from about 1 week ago. She had a similar reaction 2 days ago which is why I posted this thread. I did lots of research but could not find any answers.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I don't think you are going to get much of an answer off here, I think she needs immediate testing (blood tests, ultrasound etc). It really could be anything, from FIP to epilepsy to a severe worm infection and so on. Are you able to travel a few hours to get her to another vet? I honestly don't think her prospects for survival are good at all if she doesn't get treatment ASAP.

In the meantime, I would be trying her on some watered down Hills A/D (you can syringe into her mouth, but let her swallow it on her own, DO NOT put it down her throat). Sub Q fluids would possibly be a good idea too, and keep her as warm as possible. It seems like her body, for whatever reason, is unable to digest food properly or absorb nutrients. Without medical treatment, she is not going to get better unfortunately.

jenmoralesss30

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sadly I am not able to travel a few hours to get her treatment because I am currently in school. I'll try to give her watered down hills A/D as you mentioned. Thanks for the advice!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you asked both vets to put in for an appointment if someone cancels their? if they have one? Have you told them that it isn't just about food but she is having trouble breathing? This isn't to diss you, this is because when you called you were thinking she wasn't eating. The vets might be able to find a small time to see her due to the breathing problem. With the way things are, go on and make whatever appointment you can with them and keep calling to see if anyone has canceled their appointments.

jenmoralesss30

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called all of the vets near me, and she wrote my name down whenever there is an opening. 2 other vets I called are not seeing any new clients due to COVIDl I told them about the breathing problem and how she only does that with certain food brands.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only other things I can think of is calling the local shelters and seeing what they suggest, which maybe nothing useful. It's a long chance, but a chance. Assure them you don't want to give up your cat, you want her treated by a vet and that you will pay for treatment. Explain you can't find a vet who can see you. Some shelters have connections to vets or at least vet techs. If you have already done this, I apologize for mentioning it. I just know that sometimes it's hard to think when stressed, particularly when nothing out there is working right.

The other possibility is is there a university with a vet school in it near you?

Don't trust anything else produced by the brands/manufacturers of the food your kitty reacts to. There is a chance that whatever is giving her problems is in the manufacturer's base that is used for all his brands.

Pet food companies sell to each other all the time, so google any brand you think to buy and ask who owns this brand now.

I'm so sorry you and your kitty are going through this at a time when vets really don't seem to be able to figure out a way to manage their clients and new clients. They used to be able to take new clients.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sadly I am not able to travel a few hours to get her treatment because I am currently in school. I'll try to give her watered down Hill's A/D as you mentioned. Thanks for the advice!
Not even on Saturday? ER vets are open on weekends.

jenmoralesss30

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is one near me that is open 24/7 that I called but they are short-staffed and backed up. I found it odd how it was an emergency vet yet you have to schedule an appointment. The lady that answered said they might have an opening for next week so I'm hoping they can get me in. I plan on calling vets in neighboring states to see if I can get an appointment.