Can Someone Please Help Me Figure Out If My Cat Passed Away Peacefully.

Trist100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.. About 4 hours ago my 7 year old sweet boy passed away. Im in complete shock as i was leaving school as it happened. When i came home my mum was balling crying and told me that my cat passed away he was never hit or abused. He was taken care of very well and had the best life a cat could ever have.. He was very very healthy and was a male. He apparently was ontop of my mothers bed, My mum then heard a thump and went upstairs to see him flopping around on the floor. There was no blood there was no past problems with him, Nothing. Could someone please tell me what happened to him, Did he pass away with pain? did he not even know what happened. Im just really hoping he passed away without any pain or problems.. We believe he might of had a brain aneurysm, But no one at the vet told us what they think it might of been.. He just fell off the bed, Flopped around for a few seconds, And took his last two breathes. His heart stopped, we took him to the vet and got him cremated. We didint take his ashes though because it was like 250$ and not taking the ashes was 50$.. I just wanna know did my cat die okay? Thanks..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Trist100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
N
Hello, I'm so sorry!!

I think this was something like a stroke or heart attack, and likely your baby knew nothing of what happened.

RIP sweetheart, you will be very missed. You're now in a place of forever sunshine and peace.
Thank you for helping me, I'm glad he is in a better place. Bless him <3

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
What an awful shock for you and your mom. He could have had some kind of heart problem or maybe an aneurysm as you mentioned. It sounds like it was fast, and as Furballsmom Furballsmom said, your kitty probably had no idea what was happening.

I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP, little kitty. :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Trist100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What an awful shock for you and your mom. He could have had some kind of heart problem or maybe an aneurysm as you mentioned. It sounds like it was fast, and as Furballsmom Furballsmom said, your kitty probably had no idea what was happening.

I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP, little kitty. :rbheart:
It was for sure a shock, still crying many hours later. The more i hear it the better i feel. I'm sure he is here with me right now.. <3 Thank you.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

Just guessing here, but I think it is cardiac arrest.

You gave him the best life you possibly can provide. That is enough. He wouldn't want to see you sad. Find consolation that he is now young again, running wild and free.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For something to happen like you described, to a relatively young, healthy indoor cat, it most likely was a heart defect. One he was born with and because of your excellent care lived with for many years. Because there was no yowling and trying to escape, which almost always happens at the time of death, he was most likely unconconscious and beyond pain at the time of his passing. I am RN and have seen this many times with both humans and animals. A heart seizure would cause what you describe.
There was absolutely no way you could have predicted this. Most heart defects are not picked up on at all unless they cause problems that make the vet look into it earlier. Don't dwell on trying to change something that can never be changed. The past is set in time. Remember him as he was, and use those earlier memories to bring comfort to your broken heart. Just as you would want for him, he would never want you to be so sad because of him. He loves you, and that will never change. He will always be as near as your thoughts and prayers. Send him thoughts of joy, of love, because he lives on through you now. Of course you will miss him, but the bond of love you built over time with him can never be broken. He is a part of your soul. "Death cannot take that which never dies" and your love will be eternal.
My heart goes out to you, my prayers and thoughts are with you all. He was a beloved companion and family member and he will be forever missed. Take care.......RIP beautiful boy. You will forever have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We compare the actual life duration of a cat to a maximum of 20 years.

But this maximum value is for cats subject to human care. And, well, it is a maximum, not a guaranteed value.

In my childhood, my Grandpa told me that a maximum age of a cat is 4-5 years. And is probably true for cats in the wild as well.

You see, is true for humans as well: we all know persons who passed away at ages like 10 or 30 years. To be honest, in many cases nobody knows the cause of sudden death. In the baby's case, sometime science simply cant spot the cause.

+++

Now, coming to the pain issue: pain is located in the brain. True for all mammals (and many other Creatures, down to fish species). If the brain is no longer irrigated by blood or no oxygen gets there, the neurons die extremely rapidly. And there is no pain, because there is no brain neuron to get (electrically) excited.

According to studies in humans, approaching death, in many cases, human feel comforting, rather than frightening. This is also based on observation that near death most humans experience vivid dreams. Since we know cats do dream, we can safely assume that cats also experience final vivid dreams (that may last for some seconds after clinical total failure).

The duration of the dream is subjective - we all know that from experience. Nevertheless, dreaming is not a painful experience.

In case on cruelties, the pain is not actually from death itself, but originates in treatments prior to the event (either on purpose or from bad chance). Valid for body condition as a result of sickness as well. And those treatments or feelings have a significant duration (certainly, not seconds).

Other things that may happen near-death is dizziness, good feeling (!) or .. nothing at all.

Obviously, there is no Cat ever returning form near-death experience and describing the feelings. We can only parallel with human experience.

+++

All in one, based on the above, I can state that your Cat didnt experience pain. Whatever noises or movement the Cat expressed, they are most likely based on reflexes and not caused by pain.

+++

I am very sorry to hear about such sad event.

You and your mum did an wonderful job caring for the Sweet Boy Cat, You are wonderful persons and is obvious why the Cat has chosen You as guardians.

My hugs and tears!

LisaT.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ohh, I'm so very sorry for your loss, Trist100. When a cat experiences what yours did, there was probably (I hope) very little pain, and he went straight to the Rainbow Bridge where you will see him again one day. Take care.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Friend, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I, also, think this was a heart issue. Now, from much experience in my former profession, I can assure you that, as scary as they look, seizures are not painful. Your boy wasn't at all aware of what was happening. No pain, no fear. From his point of view, he only stepped through a gate, from this Adventure and into his Next Great Adventure. His leaving was as mentally peaceful for him as it was terrifying to those who saw it. Rest easy now. He is fine. And still loves you, you know, for love never dies. It only changes form and continues on, still Love. Love abides.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
T Trist100 , I can't be 100% but the flopping you described sounds like a seizure. And in many cases, seizures are mentally "not conscious." Most people who have these through life (epilepsy) will tell you they remember nothing about the seizure itself.
Sometimes this happens when the body fails and it's kind of a blessing in a way, the mind blanks out and to us it's scary, but to them I think it's like they're here, then they're not.
I am so sorry for your loss, and your mum's loss as well. We lost one this way at about 10, they were fine, healthy, treated well, and one day they just did what you described and were gone. It's hard, and I'm so sorry you all had to experience that.