Can someone help me possibly identify this kitten

Bronson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just adopted this 8 week old kitten. His dad is a rag doll but does anyone have any ideas as to what breed his mom may have been? He’s got really big ears that take up like half his head and they stick straight up. He’s very little and slender.
I know we can’t know for sure. I’d just like to hear people’s inputs.
Thanks guys

The last picture is his dad but the cat he’s around is my 8 month old kitten. Completely separate families.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bronson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oops, I meant the first pic is his dad

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of your cats are adorable!

If you know who your kitten's dad is, then I assume you also know who his mom is. Do you have pictures of the mom, and/or do you know anything about her background? That would help us to answer your question about the mom.

Also, I see the dad appears to be black and white? This isn't an accepted color in the Ragdoll breed. Ragdolls are pointed cats, so two Ragdolls could not produce a black and white kitten. What do you know about dad's background?

Was there a reason that the little one had to leave his mom and littermates so young? I hope nothing bad happened to mom!

Last edited:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not seeing any Ragdolls in those pictures. I think someone is mistaken.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bronson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry. I should have cleared it up. The dad is a rag doll cross. And I’ll attach a pic of the mom.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would describe mom as a black and white domestic shorthair. Her picture actually reminds me of Gigi the cat in the animated movie, "Kiki's Delivery Service" :) She does have fairly tall pointy ears, but this is probably just a trait that she inherited from the domestic cat gene pool, not a breed trait from some breed. Most cats are not any particular breed.

I would also describe your kitten as a black and white domestic shorthair. You could describe his pattern (mostly white, with color on the head and tail) as "van pattern." This pattern is named after the Turkish Van Cat, although most cats with this pattern aren't actually related to the Turkish Van. It's the result of inheriting two copies of the the white spotting gene. We can see that both mom and dad have the white spotting gene, and since your kitten inherited it from both parents, he has more white than either parent.

I don't see much, if any, Ragdoll infuence in the picture of the dad. Generally Ragdolls are more massive cats than he appears to be, but if they know for sure that he is a Ragdoll mix, perhaps the Ragdoll ancestor was a bit further back in the family tree? Or maybe it is just a guess?

It's fun to see all the different patterns on the black and white cats in your pictures. Even though all of them would be described as "black and white," each has its own unique pattern.