Can someone assist?

Joliefan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My neutered male cat 2 yrs old is domesticated. He got out by accident and a feral cat messed his tail up. A bone is crooked sticking out. The vet is not an option . I cannot afford a vet, and insurance is high cost, plus I'd have to wait a long time before it kicks in. What can I do? His tail still moves but not like before.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is a bone actually protruding through the tail or is the tail crooked but in one piece?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joliefan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is a bone actually protruding through the tail or is the tail crooked but in one piece?
The bone protrudes from the tail but not sticking out of skin. The tail is crooked but in one piece yes. He can move his tail but not wag it or lift it high.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The articles mention that some broken tails will heal on their own but we have no way of knowing if this is the case with your cat. The fact that it is moveable, and that it is not protruding from the skin, is at least positive. How much pain he may be in is difficult to know. Is he indoor only with the exception of his last experience? If not, he needs to be at least kept inside so that he can be monitored.

You might look for a local rescue and ask if they have names of any low cost vets or suggestions. Make it clear that you are not trying to rehome him and they will be more helpful possibly. You also could call some local vets and get an estimate, in general, of what they could do.

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some vets may work with charities to help with medical care. Ellie's Rainy Day fund is one I donate to. Please contact the vet and see if something like this is available. Or crowdfunding?