Can Someone Adopt Merlin?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! I had not gotten alerts on any of your recent posts. I have not forgotten you but my ability to be on site was hampered by technical problems. I am so sorry to hear Merlin is sick but since I was away from the posts and came back to a lot of information I may have a little insight that has gotten lost in more recent discussion. Your first post about adopting Merlin mentions an apparent allergic/ bacterial or something going on that you gave him Zyrtec for which, to me, indicated an issue as well as a possible cause for him to try and get you to help him by biting. That bite was his only way to get your immediate attention. Cats will do that. Moving forward to now, he is showing other signs of feeling bad with stomach upset. It makes perfect cat sense that he is more frantic and is nipping. He is just trying to tell you he needs help. I really do not see him as untrainable. I see him as asking his loved one to fix his tummy. I did read the posts about getting a poop test. Did you tell the vet about his apparent allergic reaction early on? I am wondering if it is a food reaction. Was he always eating the foods he is on now?
My other thought is that he is picking up on your stress levels. I know you have been very worried about all of this. Stress can do to him what it does to you. I know you mentioned your own tummy issues. This cat has looked to you for love and wants to return it as well. They understand when you are suffering and they want to save you, just as you saved them. I can see by your posts that you are finding it upsetting and I feel for you in this. Can you try some calming routine before you go in to work with Merlin? I wish I was near you. I would try to give you a break so you can have some deep breaths and a little time for yourself. :alright: Maybe a cup of Chamomile tea before going to be with Merlin? Relaxing music? Whatever makes you feel relaxed is sure to transfer to Merlin. :heartshape:
Sorry about your tech troubles, I wondered what happened to you.

I asked the first dvm about his paw and if that could be why he bit me, she said no, it wouldn’t be a reason etc. Again I don’t think that is the reason now because he knows I am giving him all these meds etc which he is mostly refusing. None of my other cats have ever bitten me to let me know anything. Except maybe Quinn, but he as you know is a biter, but who fortunately does not break the skin.

I think it is anxiety and some kind of dominance obsession to stop me from getting away etc. I still think he has some kind of neuro or mental health issue maybe but who knows. There is no way to know for sure. But both dvm said no. I did tell the new dvm about the allergy etc. he suggested a diet change so I got some cans of an rx food with limited ing and special hydrolized protein by Royal canin at the dvm. He said next step is ultrasound but if he is released I won’t be doing that obviously.

I am beyond upset and stressed and I am not sure how much longer I can do all of this. Meditation etc. will not help the end result or stop him doing all of this. The longer he is inside the worse this whole situation gets if no one will take him. I can barely do stuff and put my long boots on to spend any time with him with my back now. I am pretty sure lifting the cage to clean etc caused my spasm but if I leave him loose which I have to do now it is an argument with him to keep him away from me and I have to worry about him biting etc. when I am focused on other stuff.

I tried a pheromone spray on a shirt of mine and a wand feather toy today to see if it would curb his manic behavior. It may have calmed him a tiny bit, I am not sure. He was scared of it at first but I got him to play and he ran around in circles chasing it. After a while I was able to leave while he lay down. He is usually actively trying to escape the studio now when I come in and out and is frantically marking me etc when I am there most of the time while he is loose.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dang I'm sorry to hear, I hope your pulled muscle gets better fast!!
Thanks, it is terrible. Doc said fortunately it is my back and not my kidneys etc. but she did no xray which really with my conditions they should have. I am going to an ortho soon hopefully. Just sitting with ice trying not to move too much, I over did it today again. More meds, ice, lidocaine etc will hopefully break this awful spasm. I will have to take off work if it is not better soon. Fortunately I have tomorrow off. It is going to need pt.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, so one google search of "cat rescues in Long Island" gave me this extensive list.
Have you attempted to give any of these a call?

Mission Statement

https://www.littleshelter.org/about

About Last Hope | Last Hope Animal Rescue

About Us – Long Island Feline Adoption Center

About | All About Cats

About Almost Home – Almost Home Animal Rescue

https://saveapetusa.org/#

https://www.kentanimalshelter.com/about-kent

http://www.awaprescue.com/WingandPrayer/

https://southamptonanimalshelter.com/about-us/

https://www.bideawee.org/Mission-and-Values

https://www.forgottenfriendsoflongisland.org/Animal-Rescue-Group

https://www.northportcatrescue.org/

https://bobbiandthestrays.org/who-we-are

https://ny.bestfriends.org/

Contact them please!
Merlin is getting more "frantic" probably because he has been in isolation with only you as his source of companionship and a few brief encounters with Quinn. He is bored and needs more than you can offer.
These rescues have the capacity and the knowledge to socialize cats and from what I quickly read on their websites, they are no-kill and try to find homes for all their cats.
Also, and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but you need to calm down and stop dramatizing Merlin's behavior.
He does not have a neurological problem, he is not aggressive, and he is most definitely NOT "a biter". He bit you once. I understand your health concerns about getting bit again, but you are projecting YOUR anxieties on this cat, who at this point is simply desperate for some sort of stimulation and affection. The simple fact that when you played with him and he calmed down is perfect proof of that.
Call these rescues, and explain your situation with the facts.
  • You had him TNR'ed.
  • He became affectionate and trusting with you, which means he CAN be socialized.
  • He bit you once, was quarantined, and everything turned out OK.
  • Because he bit you, and you are now frightened it could happen again, you wish to surrender him to someone who can FINISH socializing him.
  • He can most definitely be socialized.
  • He is NOT "a biter" (I can't stress that enough), He is NOT aggressive, he simply wants attention and affection. His frantic behavior is because he is cooped up and bored.
  • And explain that he currently has loose stools, that is under investigation with your vet.
You have already done half the work, and considering the amount of $$ you have spent on him, and will continue to have to spend on him if you keep him any longer. At least ONE of the rescues would, I'm sure, take him in, especially if you also offer a donation.

And please don't think I'm am trying to be insensitive to your fears, but they are hindering the process of getting Merlin out of your hands and into a situation where he can find a home. It's one thing to be honest about what happen, but your making it seem like he'll turn on someone at the drop of a hat and rip them apart. Again, I'm sorry about sounding harsh, but I just want Merlin to get to a place where he will be able to find a home and for you to be able to rest easy that he and you are safe.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tried a pheromone spray on a shirt of mine and a wand feather toy today to see if it would curb his manic behavior. It may have calmed him a tiny bit, I am not sure. He was scared of it at first but I got him to play and he ran around in circles chasing it. After a while I was able to leave while he lay down.
I'll tell you what, I think this is incredible, and fantastic, with you injured, and for him. WOW!!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a serious back injury too. I totally sympathize with that kind of pain. I think you made a huge leap with Merlin using that spray and the wand toy!!That is fantastic and does demonstrate he can be socialized. Hats off to you!!:yess:
For the sake of your health and for Merlin, I hope one of those rescues will work! I know a couple of them are names I already gave you but try the others and try those again. Merlin does show that he loves you and maybe another human will love him too. We are all rooting for you. I hope you get some PT. That really helped me a lot! Feel better! Tell Merlin we are all hoping for him too!! Write me if you need me. Hopefully my technical problems are gone now. I will always answer your PMs.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, so one google search of "cat rescues in Long Island" gave me this extensive list.
Have you attempted to give any of these a call?

Mission Statement

https://www.littleshelter.org/about

About Last Hope | Last Hope Animal Rescue

About Us – Long Island Feline Adoption Center

About | All About Cats

About Almost Home – Almost Home Animal Rescue

Save-A-Pet USA – Save a pet, build a family

https://www.kentanimalshelter.com/about-kent

AWAP RESCUE

About Us - Southampton Animal Shelter Foundation

Mission & Values

Animal Rescue Group | Long Island | Nassau | Suffolk | Forgotten Friends of Long Island

Northport Cat Rescue Association Inc.

Who We Are

About Best Friends in New York

Contact them please!
Merlin is getting more "frantic" probably because he has been in isolation with only you as his source of companionship and a few brief encounters with Quinn. He is bored and needs more than you can offer.
These rescues have the capacity and the knowledge to socialize cats and from what I quickly read on their websites, they are no-kill and try to find homes for all their cats.
Also, and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but you need to calm down and stop dramatizing Merlin's behavior.
He does not have a neurological problem, he is not aggressive, and he is most definitely NOT "a biter". He bit you once. I understand your health concerns about getting bit again, but you are projecting YOUR anxieties on this cat, who at this point is simply desperate for some sort of stimulation and affection. The simple fact that when you played with him and he calmed down is perfect proof of that.
Call these rescues, and explain your situation with the facts.
  • You had him TNR'ed.
  • He became affectionate and trusting with you, which means he CAN be socialized.
  • He bit you once, was quarantined, and everything turned out OK.
  • Because he bit you, and you are now frightened it could happen again, you wish to surrender him to someone who can FINISH socializing him.
  • He can most definitely be socialized.
  • He is NOT "a biter" (I can't stress that enough), He is NOT aggressive, he simply wants attention and affection. His frantic behavior is because he is cooped up and bored.
  • And explain that he currently has loose stools, that is under investigation with your vet.
You have already done half the work, and considering the amount of $$ you have spent on him, and will continue to have to spend on him if you keep him any longer. At least ONE of the rescues would, I'm sure, take him in, especially if you also offer a donation.

And please don't think I'm am trying to be insensitive to your fears, but they are hindering the process of getting Merlin out of your hands and into a situation where he can find a home. It's one thing to be honest about what happen, but your making it seem like he'll turn on someone at the drop of a hat and rip them apart. Again, I'm sorry about sounding harsh, but I just want Merlin to get to a place where he will be able to find a home and for you to be able to rest easy that he and you are safe.
Your post is really not helpful at all. You are not the one who is dealing with a 15 lb cat who bit you. You did not go through severe anxiety due to a possible rabies scare, having your cats endangered etc. having it reported to the county, and having your health at risk as a person with multiple serious health issues.

You have no clue what I have gone through or what else I am dealing with in my life. And you have no clue about Merlin since you have not spent one second with him. If you did, or if you had any understanding of the situation, you would not have the nerve to speak to me this way unless you are a total fool which is possible.

I have called some of them with no response whatsoever from all but one, and no assurance that he will be safe there. Bidawee was the one that I got through to after numerous calls and they said if approved they requested me to drive a not tame, recently trapped cat who hisses at people he is not familiar with and who still hisses at me, miles for an interview to see if he would be accepted. That was if they even agreed to that. And they framed it as if I am turning him over a cat which I am not, I am saving him hopefully.

Many shelters lie about what they do and are quite deceptive and not trustworthy. None of them have ever helped me a bit with any of the many cats I have rescued over the years except on one occasion, and that rescue is not good. The one exception was a rescue I volunteered with, she took in one kitten I found and fostered and helped with my Wizard but she would not put him in cages due to fiv plus so we kept him and tgoodness for that. He was a very tame, sweet boy who was utterly devoted to me, but still not good for adoption then due to fiv.

One rescue I was referred to here said she has posted him at her site, but I was unable to see the post, after asking multiple times she said I am looking at the wrong page, I am not, and although she she says she is non computer savvy etc. she has a page and posted multiple other posts which I can see. I asked her to send me a screen shot, or tag me in the post, so I can promote him. no response. She even asked me don’t I have some friends or family who can adopt him, no, umm that is why I am asking for help. She said there has been no interest in Merlin and she does not have time to promote him. At this point I have no evidence she has even posted about him. I have posted him at two feral groups, no help and only one person expressed interest but never replies and her profile looks suspect to me.

You think it is so simple and so easy to tame and find a home for an large adult cat who is manic, now with diarrhea, who has scratched and bitten you and who may bite again? And who may need to sedated for any real exam?

When I first trapped him for tnr, last August, at release, he lunged at me in the carrier violently, hissing, and attempted to scratch me. Since then he did actually bite me this August and he has attempted to bite twice since I have started letting him out of the cage recently. I have long boots now so any bites that could puncture will not succeed. Are you going to take Merlin in and train and care for him, find him a home? Otherwise please don’t bother giving me advice. You have no skin in the game here and your heart is not going to be broken whatever the outcome.

The best thing I could have done would have been to have released him earlier like my dvm said to do. But I was worried he could bite me again outside and then the whole thing starts again, doc visits, reports, trap, quarantine etc. I obviously can’t live with a cat behaving this way outside my house. I came here and then had hope and thought someone would really help him or know someone near me who could train him. Anyone can look up a bunch of rescues online. Maybe you can contact them and get them to take him because it is just as simple as that. I already know many of the ones you listed and none have ever helped me except one.

By the way, Merlin is not getting more frantic, he is behaving the same way, manic, he did outside. Oh and btw he is a biter, he bit me and punctured my skin and he is still trying to, twice now since I have let him loose, once earlier yesterday. Whether it is aggressive or not doesn't matter because if he punctures my skin etc. I have to get treatment. He uses his mouth, and teeth, that is a biter, lol. Can’t believe I have to explain that fact.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a serious back injury too. I totally sympathize with that kind of pain. I think you made a huge leap with Merlin using that spray and the wand toy!!That is fantastic and does demonstrate he can be socialized. Hats off to you!!:yess:
For the sake of your health and for Merlin, I hope one of those rescues will work! I know a couple of them are names I already gave you but try the others and try those again. Merlin does show that he loves you and maybe another human will love him too. We are all rooting for you. I hope you get some PT. That really helped me a lot! Feel better! Tell Merlin we are all hoping for him too!! Write me if you need me. Hopefully my technical problems are gone now. I will always answer your PMs.
Thanks! Glad your issues are resolved.
I really wish at this point I had just released him as the dvm said to, she said he would never lose the fear factor and I think she is right now, and had it not been for the biting behavior issue I would have. I am done for now at least, trying with these rescues because of past experiences and the others do not even respond mostly. Best friends does not take cats in and they really were just pointing me to another list of groups lol, which I could never find. I think I mentioned that before.

Yes he has made progress and I am happy for him but it is a tiny baby step, and there is still no sign of any real help or a home. And it is going to to be much harder for him outside now.

And as I suspected, no one even wants a cat with all of these issues in their rescue to try to find him a home. There are too many cats without these issues and kittens who people will gladly adopt. Add diarrhea and sedation at dvm to the list now too.

Will pm when I recover from the spasm. At least after one doc visit I know it is not my kidneys prolly. Sorry you are suffering with back injuries as well, it is awful. I have had multiple injuries and years of pt and do not look forward to more so I try to treat it at home unless it is severe.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll tell you what, I think this is incredible, and fantastic, with you injured, and for him. WOW!!
Thanks :):)yes it was nice to see him running around like that. It reminded me of my Angie, she used to do that and nip my ankles gently, lol. I can’t do too much now, really everything I do is making me worse. Tg for pain killers etc.