Can Someone Adopt Merlin?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep trying but compressing them does not work. I can’t make them smaller or they will be blurry etc. not sure why the site does not compress them itself. There is also no info given on how big they can be or which files etc.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is the adoption campaign going? Are you able to put the videos on YouTube? if so, perhaps you can post a link. Did you try editing the video on your device to reduce it to just a few seconds of playtime? I am terrible at posting media so my methods are primitive.
I recently discovered a cat toy (recommended here at TCS) that is incredibly cheap but really gets cats & kittens energized in a very entertaining way. It is called the The Cat Dancer and cost less than $2. ALL the cats and kittens go crazy for it from my outside semi-ferals to the 6-8 week old kittens that I am fostering. I plan to video the fosters playing with it although it will probably sell more toys than garner adoptions.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006N9I68/?tag=&tag=thecatsite

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is the adoption campaign going? Are you able to put the videos on YouTube? if so, perhaps you can post a link. Did you try editing the video on your device to reduce it to just a few seconds of playtime? I am terrible at posting media so my methods are primitive.
I recently discovered a cat toy (recommended here at TCS) that is incredibly cheap but really gets cats & kittens energized in a very entertaining way. It is called the The Cat Dancer and cost less than $2. ALL the cats and kittens go crazy for it from my outside semi-ferals to the 6-8 week old kittens that I am fostering. I plan to video the fosters playing with it although it will probably sell more toys than garner adoptions.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006N9I68/?tag=&tag=thecatsite
Thanks! If I make them a few seconds there will be nothing to see, and i am not sure how to do it anyway. The editor I found compresses but not the length and then they are just blurry, so stupid. Things have gotten worse instead of better apparently in the tech world. Don’t want to post from youtube.

The campaign is dead in the water and one rescue who listed him on their fb page, I can’t even see the post, she has not sent me a link etc so I can post in it. She asked if I have friends or family etc to take him, no, lol, which is why I am asking for help with all of this. She said in an earlier email let her know she will take him if I am going to release but I have no expectations that she will.

I spoke with someone at bidawee who gave me an email for cat admissions but he has to go for an interview which I don’t think would go well and it would be considered a surrender which is ridiculous. So I haven't emailed them.

I think he is going back out soon which makes me feel terrible. One woman inquired about him on my own fb post on a stray cat group, but she has not replied to my reply of more info or she can’t see it, because she asked again, I pm her but no response. She prolly read that he bit me and said forget it. I should just have released him when it was warmer and his claws grew a bit. If my silly dvm had not clipped his claws he would have been released the first week prolly.

I am going to try letting him out of the cage tomorrow night hopefully to see what happens but I am very nervous he is going to bite me again etc.

I love the cat dancer, I first found that years ago when Angie was a kitten, she loved it, and so does my siamese loon, he is super active and has a gazillion toys like that, he loves the cat prancer too. :)

Ok, so I shortened one to 20 seconds but it says the file extension is not accepted here, do you know which files are ok? Maybe I can change it, it is mp4 I think.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Take a few deep breaths before you let him out. The calmer you are, the calmer he will be!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will, today was very stressful so I may wait untill tomorrow. We had an electrician giving an estimate and he came in Merlins room with me. Merlin was scared and later hissed at me once when I came home from shopping.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still have not done it. I am so nervous. Hopefully today. I cleared a little area by the couch for him to hide etc. I am leaving the cage up in case I need to get him back in. I hope I can if he goes bonkers.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any luck today? You have set things up for success now, and the longer you delay, the more nervous you are apt to be. Do this when the room is quiet and calm...send everyone to another room for an hour or so, if necessary.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any luck today? You have set things up for success now, and the longer you delay, the more nervous you are apt to be. Do this when the room is quiet and calm...send everyone to another room for an hour or so, if necessary.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
Mamanyt1953 said:
“Any luck today? You have set things up for success now, and the longer you delay, the more nervous you are apt to be. Do this when the room is quiet and calm...send everyone to another room for an hour or so, if necessary”

At 6 am when I went to sleep, I opened up the cage a bit where it joins with carrier and locked the pet door so Quinn can’t come in. Merlin has not come out though while I am there and he seems to be scared to. I visited him briefly 2-3 x throughout the day inbetween teaching etc. but he hasn't come out although he is happy to see me. I was a bit worried he might scratch me when he was scratching his claws on the wee pads when I changed his food etc because they are sharper now.

Quinn was very upset that he could not go in to stay with Merlin and he was mad at me and was going to scratch my leg etc when he realized it. Since they now seem to be more of a calming influence on each other I’m not sure how to maneuver this because I don’t want them in there if they are both loose at this point. Any ideas? I know Merlin is going to be lonely because I have been sitting with him with Quinn in there for 2 to 3 hours in the early a.m. or longer. So he doesn’t feel so lonely and he likes that. Then Quinn has been staying with him most of the night or going in and out etc. and not coming to my room LOL. Even last night when he could not get in the studio he did not come to my room.

I am still very nervous to be out in the open with him if he comes out that he may get rambunctious or nervous and scratch or bite me. I feel like I have to cover my whole body and feet with long clothing and boots to protect myself but it’s kind of hot still here

Do you know how to train him not to bite etc.? Someone had told me on another post here to shake a can with coins to try and scare him out of it but I joined a Facebook Feral group and they said that that would scare him and maybe make him bite me.

Any ideas about coaxing him out into the open or should I just let him decide when he wants to do that? The more I see of his behavior the more I realize that he’s really not that tame even though he was letting me pet him and rubbing against my legs etc. outside and he is quite fearful. I don’t know if it is from being in the cage for so long- I wonder if that has made things worse? As far as I know he has not gone into the corner where I put the bed and a scratching cardboard block for him. The litter box and his food are still in the cage and he seems to be sleeping in the carrier part where there is a towel that he likes.

No one goes in there except me, my brother has gone in there occasionally. Quinn is in there the most prolly. Except the other day when the electrician came in with me. Maybe that is what made him more nervous- the idea that people he doesn’t feel comfortable with may come in?

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
Mamanyt1953 said:
“Any luck today? You have set things up for success now, and the longer you delay, the more nervous you are apt to be. Do this when the room is quiet and calm...send everyone to another room for an hour or so, if necessary 6 am when I went to sleep, I opened up the cage a bit where it joins with carrier and locked the pet door so Quinn can’t come in. Merlin has not come out though while I am there and he seems to be scared to. I visited him briefly 2-3 x throughout the day inbetween teaching etc. but he hasn't come out although he is happy to see me. I was a bit worried he might scratch me when he was scratching his claws on the wee pads when I changed his food etc because they are sharper now.

Quinn was very upset that he could not go in to stay with Merlin and he was mad at me and was going to scratch my leg etc when he realized it. Since they now seem to be more of a calming influence on each other I’m not sure how to maneuver this because I don’t want them in there if they are both loose at this point. Any ideas? I know Merlin is going to be lonely because I have been sitting with him with Quinn in there for 2 to 3 hours in the early a.m. or longer. So he doesn’t feel so lonely and he likes that. Then Quinn has been staying with him most of the night or going in and out etc. and not coming to my room LOL. Even last night when he could not get in the studio he did not come to my room.

I am still very nervous to be out in the open with him if he comes out that he may get rambunctious or nervous and scratch or bite me. I feel like I have to cover my whole body and feet with long clothing and boots to protect myself but it’s kind of hot still here

Do you know how to train him not to bite etc.? Someone had told me on another post here to shake a can with coins to try and scare him out of it but I joined a Facebook Feral group and they said that that would scare him and maybe make him bite me.

Any ideas about coaxing him out into the open or should I just let him decide when he wants to do that? The more I see of his behavior the more I realize that he’s really not that tame even though he was letting me pet him and rubbing against my legs etc. outside and he is quite fearful. I don’t know if it is from being in the cage for so long- I wonder if that has made things worse? As far as I know he has not gone into the corner where I put the bed and a scratching cardboard block for him. The litter box and his food are still in the cage and he seems to be sleeping in the carrier part where there is a towel that he likes.

No one goes in there except me, my brother has gone in there occasionally. Quinn is in there the most prolly. Except the other day when the electrician came in with me. Maybe that is what made him more nervous- the idea that people he doesn’t feel comfortable with may come in?
There was a thread about clicker training a cat not to bite. It is possible. On next door there are people that volunteer at rescues and will respond so it's worth a try. My friend that rescues has a friendly playful cat that bites. He is seeing a behaviorist.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a thread about clicker training a cat not to bite. It is possible. On next door there are people that volunteer at rescues and will respond so it's worth a try. My friend that rescues has a friendly playful cat that bites. He is seeing a behaviorist.
I am not adversing on next door, I don’t want my cat colony info out there etc. and there are a bunch of idiots on there also. I have already posted this on fb feral groups, no one is helping really unfortunately. One woman has listed him in her fb page rescue but I cannot even see the post and she is not promoting it really she said either due to time and her other cats she rescues. But if I cannot even see it, how do I know it is even there. I can see all the other numerous posts she does every day. I asked her to tag me and send me a screen shot, but no reply yet, so I can see it and promote it myself with comments etc. she said in the post that she would train him for someone who adopts him, but said no one has expressed interest.

He broke the skin and had to be quarantined, I had to be on augment-in etc. so if he can not be trained not to bite and bites me again and no one will take him he is going back outside and hopefully he won’t bite me outside again. I love Merlin, but I already have one cat who bites me, fortunately does not break the skin, and I can’t have one who really bites putting my cat and family at risk etc. Is the behaviorist producing any results? I doubt they would work with an outdoor cat who bit someone lol. By the way, nothing and I mean “nothing” has helped with Quinn(my crazy siamese cat) getting him to stop biting me etc.

I have tried clicker training in the past and trained my cats to do tricks but it was the food that got them to do it, not the clicker, so I stopped using it, also, it was painful for me due to chronic pain etc. which I have even more problems with now especially now with a chronic right hand/ elbow thing going on. I will search that thread anyway though because I am getting desperate here, maybe Incan try my left hand. I bought a pointer clicker for Quinn but never used it as he is pretty much untrainable for me anyway.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think just let him decide :)
Well he was very nervous when I opened the cage up again, ran in the cage part, so no progress. I had locked him in gain to let Quinn in for a while.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he and Quinn are getting along well while Merlin is in the cage, and they are close to each other, face to face, they are almost certainly going to get along fine when Merlin comes out. The introductions are done, and they are friends. Quinn might even make Merlin feel more comfortable about coming out...a guide, so to speak.

If you are nervous about this, take a big piece of cardboard in with you, or a large pillow, so that IF there is a spat (and I don't think that there will be), you can slip it between them and not put yourself in the line of fire, so to speak. Then you can use it to either herd Quinn out of the room, or Merlin back into the cage. I REPEAT...I DO NOT THINK that this will happen, not if Quinn has been going in and keeping Merlin company. He may be your biggest advocate with this.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he and Quinn are getting along well while Merlin is in the cage, and they are close to each other, face to face, they are almost certainly going to get along fine when Merlin comes out. The introductions are done, and they are friends. Quinn might even make Merlin feel more comfortable about coming out...a guide, so to speak.

If you are nervous about this, take a big piece of cardboard in with you, or a large pillow, so that IF there is a spat (and I don't think that there will be), you can slip it between them and not put yourself in the line of fire, so to speak. Then you can use it to either herd Quinn out of the room, or Merlin back into the cage. I REPEAT...I DO NOT THINK that this will happen, not if Quinn has been going in and keeping Merlin company. He may be your biggest advocate with this.
I am not sure because Quinn is a wacky cat, he can be fine one minute and crazy the next, remember he is pure bred siamese and quite willful. Being in the cage is very different than being loose. Also, since Quinn is indoor only, I decided not to do the felv vac last time, and although Merlin tested negative I am still worried he could still have it and transmit to Quinn, or transmit something else I don’t know about. So at the least I want to get Quinn his vacc, but then that will mean taking him in 2x per year maybe, I have to check when he was in last.

Also Merlin has soft stool again so I am worried about parasites. I gave him one dose of drontel after his vetting but I am not sure how much he actually ate. Dvm said to give it every day, 1.5 syringe for 5 days, but I have never heard of that, 2 days at most is what I remember. But she said one dose would prolly work since he was going to be released. It seemed to give him runs so I didn’t give him more, but I wonder if I should?

I cant really put a kiddy gate up here because it is in a garage with a door etc. and they will just jump over it, right :flail:

I think the cardboard etc. is a good idea maybe for stopping Merlin from biting/ scratching me though maybe. So far he has come out and is manically rubbing against my legs when I am there and he is loose, which makes me extremely nervous. This is exactly like his behavior outside when he bit me and before etc. which makes me think he hasn't really evolved much or calmed down much. He was also starting to kind of nibble on my finger through the cage yesterday, which was worrying. I told him no, but who knows if it will work.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe this also :)
I am not positive he is staying in there all the time, but my father saw him come out and I saw him there at least twice, but he comes in with me in the early am when I put M back in cage. The last two nights when M was loose also I took Quinn up to my room, and I have been locking the cat door so Quinn can’t go in since I started opening the cage.

I got some toys etc a tunnel, scratcher rolling ball things and a hut thing that he can hide in. I think the tunnel is too small so I will prolly return that, it connects to the hut but I didn't connect it. It looks like he has been sitting on the couch when he is alone because there is litter there and a kleenex box is turned over. But he is always in the cage when I come in, although I think he was by the door once maybe today. Seems like he is looking to go out because he knows the garage goes outside.

Last edited: