Can Someone Adopt Merlin?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Play the window by ear. Different cats react differently. If he looks out the window with interest, but no pawing or trying to get out of it, consider leaving it unblocked. If he appears overly excited by it, block it off, but allow access for short periods each day.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't want to disagree, catsknowme catsknowme , but having the window to look out is crucial to a cat who is indoors, especially one in a small space! Experts stress having a lot of vantage points so cats do not get bored. They need stimuli.
Yes, I agree with that most of the time but when transitioning outside cats to indoors only, they are often in a state of high alert as they are adjusting to the sounds, smells and schedules of the household. Some of them will keep longing for the outside and remained focused on escape if they keep looking out the window. Once they have established their territory inside, I open the curtains.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, he is still in the cage so only playing with his toys in there. He can see the window from there, see the trees maybe and hear things. There is a skylight as well that he looks up at too, it has an spf block sun shade over it so I don’t know how much he can see. Anyway, he will be released soon depending on if anyone wants him. And as someone said it helps for him to have things to occupy himself with. In the past I have let some tnr cats out of the cages etc and recuperate in the studio. A huge brown tabby, Macbeth, was a true feral. He never looked at me, never talked, and hid behind the easel. When I wasn’t there the first day he tried to claw his way out the window near an ac. When I released him, I left the door open and he was gone not long after. I think I trapped him by accident.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like release might be the best option if you don't have the time to work with him. As long as he can see outside, he will long for his old home and true freedom, as you found out with Macbeth - he will see potential for escape. Perhaps adoption options will open up later on. At least he is neutered and better off healthwise for now.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like release might be the best option if you don't have the time to work with him. As long as he can see outside, he will long for his old home and true freedom, as you found out with Macbeth - he will see potential for escape. Perhaps adoption options will open up later on. At least he is neutered and better off healthwise for now.
Yeah maybe. I hate to put him back out though because he has been sleeping by the front door when it rains and on the grass when not. He is pretty happy in the cage etc compared to the non stop crying at first. I wish someone could take him. I am so scared of bites again and very exhausted and stressed out from all of this. I ket Quinn in again when I ate dinner and he was there for quite a while. He got booted once for jumping on top of the cage to sniff things and when I stopped him he got and and growled etc. he killed and ate a bug which Merlin was so excited about lol. I have been kicking around a ball for Quinn to chase which Merlin likes to watch.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it be possible for you to get him a little shelter for by the door?
Yes I have thought about it. There is a kitty tube in the corner by the faucet but no one uses it. Maybe something like a little house by the door, he may like that. Problem is I feed everyone there in winter because it is easy and more sheltered and just made a little patio with stepping stones which was when he bit me, when I was working on it. And the other cats dont like him now although they tried to be friends, now they yell at him. I have seen him sleeping during the day by a woodpile at the side of the house too. It has to be something he can escape from because there is a fox hanging around lately. I have stopped food at night unless I am there watching now.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I have thought about it. There is a kitty tube in the corner by the faucet but no one uses it. Maybe something like a little house by the door, he may like that. Problem is I feed everyone there in winter because it is easy and more sheltered and just made a little patio with stepping stones which was when he bit me, when I was working on it. And the other cats dont like him now although they tried to be friends, now they yell at him. I have seen him sleeping during the day by a woodpile at the side of the house too. It has to be something he can escape from because there is a fox hanging around lately. I have stopped food at night unless I am there watching now.
Breaks my heart. I pray a good, loving, responsible adopter will make themselves known soon! You can buy prefab cat houses or make your own -- googling will give you lots of options for cat houses/enclosures.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
39D5D308-91D2-41D6-967C-0CDD6E50D97E.png
5A4D57A4-159B-45F1-AD11-BF8222C78E95.png
7E041FC4-53DE-415D-9F71-2CCCEE46DDB6.png
810F185D-0064-4F42-A989-B56EC8021A47.png
Yes mine too. If it were just me I would try to train him, but my father is harassing me now to release him etc. and I am still scared he could bite he is a great cat and will make a very loyal companion. After noticing that I was distressed by a huge beetle flying around at night a few times- I had to run in the door once and he was half in the door too, lol- he swatted at it the next night, I think to help me.

I am going to look at ready made ones, but I need something insulated and that can have a heater maybe. And with exits etc. The kitty tube has a heating pad, and is near an outdoor outlet we put in. The one I built is pretty large, I used to put fosters in there for quarantines and I can sit in it. I was fostering a couple of kittens at one point. But no heat.

Here are pics of Merlin with his brother Marlon, a near twin, when they showed up. Marlon I fear perished as he vanished not long after that. Marlon has the white patches on his face.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 299350 View attachment 299351 View attachment 299352 View attachment 299353 Yes mine too. If it were just me I would try to train him, but my father is harassing me now to release him etc. and I am still scared he could bite he is a great cat and will make a very loyal companion. After noticing that I was distressed by a huge beetle flying around at night a few times- I had to run in the door once and he was half in the door too, lol- he swatted at it the next night, I think to help me.

I am going to look at ready made ones, but I need something insulated and that can have a heater maybe. And with exits etc. The kitty tube has a heating pad, and is near an outdoor outlet we put in. The one I built is pretty large, I used to put fosters in there for quarantines and I can sit in it. I was fostering a couple of kittens at one point. But no heat.

Here are pics of Merlin with his brother Marlon, a near twin, when they showed up. Marlon I fear perished as he vanished not long after that. Marlon has the white patches on his face.
OH, they are both so handsome. *PRAYERS* that Marlon got scooped up and is now living a very comfortable and loved life close by, in a home.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 posted what I would have -- namely, the reflective bed/pad. Any site that even might get moisture would be a no-go for electrics as far as I'm concerned.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH, they are both so handsome. *PRAYERS* that Marlon got scooped up and is now living a very comfortable and loved life close by, in a home.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 posted what I would have -- namely, the reflective bed/pad. Any site that even might get moisture would be a no-go for electrics as far as I'm concerned.
Marlon is still here, not scooped up yet. I am still hoping but most people don’t want a cat who needs socializing etc. I hope the pad will be enough because it is freezing here in the winter some days. The kitty tube is very well sealed and never gets wet, but I don’t know if anyone uses it, lol. I think they are scared because it only has a small entrance. I have to get a camera set up there and see if anyone does. I think Rex, a cat who was lost last year may have used it in a month long snow storm. I trapped him and called his family who came to get him right away.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I feel your pain - I live with my elderly mother in her home, as is my family tradition, and many times my rescues have had to take second place to her wishes. It gets especially hard because there is a certain amount of jealousy over my caring for cats but it is what it is - I "push the envelope" as far as I can but the general consensus of family & friends is that I should just be grateful to still have my mom. Each cat that I am unable to help causes me anguish; those I have buried, I just apologize over & over and hope that Heaven & they can forgive me.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry, I know how you feel. I think it is better to live alone if you want to do rescue, or with people who are totally on board with it. He is pretty good about me helping the kitties over the years but I haven't done that much as compared to many and he is getting a lot older so it is hard for him to deal with it all. He loves the cats too but he kinda goes j& h on what should be done many times.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I have posted about him in the cat behavior forum. He is one of my outdoor guys who bit me 3 weeks ago. I trapped him and he has been revax, still neg for fiv/ felv, has a fungal allergic thing going on on his paw and tail and is on zyrtec for it. He is about two years old. Has been friendly to me outside, touchable etc. starting 3-4 months ago, initiated by him.

He was first tnr last August. I think he could be indoor or indoor/ outdoor.

He is calm in the cage now and is happy to eat, sleep play with his toys etc. my cat has been aggressive to him and tried to scratch him through the cage. I do not feel able to train him etc. and can’t risk a bite again if he does, for me, my older father and my indoor only cat.

I am on LI, NY. Please let me know. i will release him soon.
Pretty boy

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:heartshape::grouphug2::heartshape::cheerleader: Prayers that Merlin is adopted soon! Maybe you can make a video of him which is what maggie101 suggests in this thread:
Will Mom Cat Be Upset With Me For Taking Her Kittens?
Thanks, I have a lot of great videos of him, but I can’t seem to post them here, they are too large. Any way to do it? I sent some to Tommy’s House, since she said she may list him on her fb site for adoption. She is too overwhelmed with a large number of cats to take him herself. I think he needs to go to the right person really, who can train him etc.