Can Someone Adopt Merlin?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5337FAA9-67D3-4F0B-A7D2-8F1A46B7F06E.jpeg
0C4E9943-3B46-4D50-A3DE-558F51CEE9EF.png
75D8EC31-39BF-4415-A4C5-2A7B59784C07.jpeg
I have posted about him in the cat behavior forum. He is one of my outdoor guys who bit me 3 weeks ago. I trapped him and he has been revax, still neg for fiv/ felv, has a fungal allergic thing going on on his paw and tail and is on zyrtec for it. He is about two years old. Has been friendly to me outside, touchable etc. starting 3-4 months ago, initiated by him.

He was first tnr last August. I think he could be indoor or indoor/ outdoor.

He is calm in the cage now and is happy to eat, sleep play with his toys etc. my cat has been aggressive to him and tried to scratch him through the cage. I do not feel able to train him etc. and can’t risk a bite again if he does, for me, my older father and my indoor only cat.

I am on LI, NY. Please let me know. i will release him soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird , I know you are preparing for Dorian, and it might take you a minute, but this boy is about ready to make the transition to indoors, with the right person. You have an extraordinary network of people who know ferals. Any New York folks who might step in to help this boy!

Meowmee Meowmee , this might take a few days. Jcatbird and I are both in Dorian's path, so be patient with her. She specializes in socializing ferals, and may know someone who can help you.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! First, thank you for helping him! I am going to try to help.
Can you give me a little more information? I am so sorry you got a bite! :alright: I hope you are okay. When you say bit you, deep bite? Some nip type bites are love bites and others just to warn us they are frightened or feel bad. The nips are something that should not progress further. He is having some health issues with the fungal thing so a deeper bite might just be because he was suffering and did not understand where it was coming from. Cats are sometimes confused by pain. If he is semi feral and you handled him while he had a pain shoot through him, he may have thought that you somehow made it happen. A bite may never happen again. Socializing promotes trust and he is far less likely to misunderstand about you being the source if discomfort.
I have only been bitten twice in many decades of handling new cats. Both times the cat was frightened by something and mistakenly got me. Neither cat ever did it again. Nor did they intend to hurt me. Since I have handled a lot of cats, I should have known to back off but I just made a mistake.
I understand you want to protect everyone there, including resident cat but if it helps any, I have brought in and socialized many dozens and they mixed with the cats that bit me as well as being around my little daughter. Never a problem. It is a process to integrate them properly but can be done.
Please hold off on the release. Even if you feel you cannot handle having this kitty there are resources we can approach about finding him a home. Can you tell me a little about the bite first though? That will affect who we approach for placement. We need to know whether to look for a rescue group or straight out adoption. He looks so affectionate and loving! That is a beautiful kitty! It’s obvious you have done a great job with him! :clap2:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have posted about him in the cat behavior forum. He is one of my outdoor guys who bit me 3 weeks ago. I trapped him and he has been revax, still neg for fiv/ felv, has a fungal allergic thing going on on his paw and tail and is on zyrtec for it. He is about two years old. Has been friendly to me outside, touchable etc. starting 3-4 months ago, initiated by him.

He is calm in the cage now and is happy to eat, sleep play with his toys etc. my cat has been aggressive to him and tried to scratch him through the cage. I do not feel able to train him etc. and can’t risk a bite again if he does, for me, my older father and my indoor only cat.

Have you tried joining nextdoor and posting him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you give me a little more information? I am so sorry you got a bite! :alright: I hope you are okay. When you say bit you, deep bite? Some nip type bites are love bites and others just to warn us they are frightened or feel bad. The nips are something that should not progress further. He is having some health issues with the fungal thing so a deeper bite might just be because he was suffering and did not understand where it was coming from. Cats are sometimes confused by pain. If he is semi feral and you handled him while he had a pain shoot through him, he may have thought that you somehow made it happen. A bite may never happen again. Socializing promotes trust and he is far less likely to misunderstand about you being the source if discomfort.
I have only been bitten twice in many decades of handling new cats. Both times the cat was frightened by something and mistakenly got me. Neither cat ever did it again. Nor did they intend to hurt me. Since I have handled a lot of cats, I should have known to back off but I just made a mistake.
I understand you want to protect everyone there, including resident cat but if it helps any, I have brought in and socialized many dozens and they mixed with the cats that bit me as well as being around my little daughter. Never a problem. It is a process to integrate them properly but can be done.
Please hold off on the release. Even if you feel you cannot handle having this kitty there are resources we can approach about finding him a home. Can you tell me a little about the bite first though? That will affect who we approach for placement. We need to know whether to look for a rescue group or straight out adoption. He looks so affectionate and loving! That is a beautiful kitty! It’s obvious you have done a great job with him! :clap2:
Thanks! He is a beauty for sure. At this point I am the only one he trusts though, he hisses at others who feed him, but is ok if they visit him. I think a rescue is best with someone who has experience training a cat not to bite etc. Either that or someone who has experience with this situation who wants him. I want to know he is going to a good perm home etc. who loves him of course.

I wrote about it in my post in cat behavior forum. I was outside working and he bit my leg, I was not touching him. As I recall but he was close to me maybe. He didn't seem to be in pain, but I didn't really see what happened. He has been hanging out with me while I garden at night while I work on stuff etc. and sleeping outside the house, by the front door when it rains. I lured him in the door once with food but when I closed the door he was scared and I let him out right away. I have never tried to pick him up or anything like that.

He gets obsessive with me and was not letting me walk away every time I came out etc. rubbing up against my legs etc. it was a puncture bite and a scratch, not a play bite. But not an attack bite I would say.

I told him I have to do something, the light had dimmed, I moved away, waved my hand a bit and then felt him scratch and bite my leg. I felt his tooth puncture me. He bit through my pants. I guess he felt anxious maybe, I am not sure what caused it. It happened very quickly. I have been working on a patio of stepping stones near the door where I have fed him and my other outdoor cats to make it nicer so maybe he was disturbed about it but again that was going on for a while. At some point I had to switch them to the back and him at the front only because they don’t like him now and he was in the front.

I don’t know why he did it really because I must have done stuff like that before and he hasn’t- although he nibbled on my shoe once or twice, I told him loudly no etc. and he scratched me lightly once when I put food down and once just patting me with his paw with sharp claws. And then after the real bite when he managed to get closer to me he nibbled on my pants leg once but fortunately I stopped him.

He showed up with his brother Marlon, who sadly vanished, who was so timid, I was not aware he was there at first.
When I trapped and tnr last August he was very talkative in the cage, so I thought maybe he was tamer. But then when I released him and was unhooking the carrier from the cage he lunged at me hissed etc. swatted like he would rip me to pieces so I thought he would never be touchable.

I had hoped to take him in maybe, but gave up then. He came to eat only 1/2 hour later and came pretty regularly, but he often did not eat a lot so I think he had another food source. But he wanted to say hi etc too. He always looked at me and we had an r. 3-4 months ago, he started sniffing my finger then headbutting my hand, then rubbing against my legs and he let me pet him, started running to see me, meowing, sleeping and hanging out by the front door mostly etc. I would even llok out the window to say gn etc.

I had to go to the doc, it was reported and I was on augmentin etc. And I had to trap him for rabies quarantine and worry about rpep etc. I am diabetic and cannot risk being puncture bitten again or having it reported again. It will be a mess if he bites me outside again.

He has been inside for almost 2.5-3 weeks I think I trapped him 3-4 days after the bite, then I had to quarantine for 10 days which included the 3-4 days, and my dvm could not see him right away and they clipped his claws so I have waited longer. If he is going back out it needs to happen soon because it will be hard for him to adjust.

I know now from the past two days even without the bite situation for people and rabies etc. ( any vaccinated animal that bites that is reported has to have a 10 day quarantine etc in NY) my cat will not accept him, my cat is very dominant. There will be fights for sure. I went through too much with my cat and my older cat who passed last May and I know his personality well, he is a looney siamese, very dominant because as a tiny kitten, he growled at my older cat in her home right away and would not stop jumping on her no matter what we did. .

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird , I know you are preparing for Dorian, and it might take you a minute, but this boy is about ready to make the transition to indoors, with the right person. You have an extraordinary network of people who know ferals. Any New York folks who might step in to help this boy!

Meowmee Meowmee , this might take a few days. Jcatbird and I are both in Dorian's path, so be patient with her. She specializes in socializing ferals, and may know someone who can help you.
Thanks so much.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Please visit alleycat.org and bestfriends.org/resources -- these are my most trusted sources for all things "cat". *PRAYERS* for this sweet boy!!!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please visit alleycat.org and bestfriends.org/resources -- these are my most trusted sources for all things "cat". *PRAYERS* for this sweet boy!!!
Thanks. I don’t know if they can help with this but I will look. Hopefully someone will hook us up with a ny cat rescue adopter.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I don’t know if they can help with this but I will look. Hopefully someone will hook us up with a ny cat rescue adopter.
They can't help you directly, Meowmee Meowmee , but there are a lot of helpful suggestions and links, and since I don't know the amount of either you have, just putting that out there.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if you have any news about helping Merlin. I don’t know if you have been affected by the hurricane, or had a chance to read my reply about what happened when he bit me. Jcatbird Jcatbird

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! Dorian has been an issue here. I’ve had trouble getting a signal to get online. It’s still storming here but wanted you to know, I WILL be back. I want you to follow the advice from trusted friend tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 and when I can get online to research some, I’ll return to help. I have some thoughts about why Merlin bit and what you can be doing to prevent this reaction. The resources provided by tarasgrl106 are excellent. Check there first. As soon as I can get back online, we’ll see what we need to do next. Merlin is probably in need of love and contact as well as some socializing/teaching. You’ve given him a great start! Thank you for giving me the background. Please hang in there until I can get back. I hope the bite and scratch have healed. :alright:
Don’t give up. :heartshape:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if you have any news about helping Merlin. I don’t know if you have been affected by the hurricane, or had a chance to read my reply about what happened when he bit me. Jcatbird Jcatbird sorry this posted double when I edited it.
*Jumping in unasked* Can you keep Merlin in his own room with everything he needs, and limit your own physical contact with him (i.e., don't use hands on him)? Any integration of a new cat into a family takes time, just as it does with humans. It took the better part of a year for our beloved Sammi and Calo to adapt to one another as they were both territorial males, Sammi had been an "only cat" for 14 years and Calo was alpha in our multicat family. Time, patience and love are key in any family change.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. The bite you described sounds like he wasn’t biting deeply orout of aggression. He is trying to get your attention and may not have had a mother cat to teach him either. Grabbing your leg and digging in with his mouth could be quite different. This can make a huge difference in what his future holds so if we can determine that, it’s important. I want to come back and talk to you more about his behavior and what we can do to alter it but also want to look for a rescue near you. I am going to send you a private message to get a little information so I can look for help.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. The bite you described sounds like he wasn’t biting deeply orout of aggression. He is trying to get your attention and may not have had a mother cat to teach him either. Grabbing your leg and digging in with his mouth could be quite different. This can make a huge difference in what his future holds so if we can determine that, it’s important. I want to come back and talk to you more about his behavior and what we can do to alter it but also want to look for a rescue near you. I am going to send you a private message to get a little information so I can look for help.
Thanks I have pmed you. He did scratch my leg with paw first I think, not really grabbed, just scratched and then put his mouth on my leg etc. It was a light scratch. It did not feel like an attack as it was not done with force. I didn’t see it, it happened very quickly, and I have never been bitten before. And as I said he has nibbled on my shoes before, I told him loudly not to do that. and he was even nibbling on my pants again after the bite when he got close to me once.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*Jumping in unasked* Can you keep Merlin in his own room with everything he needs, and limit your own physical contact with him (i.e., don't use hands on him)? Any integration of a new cat into a family takes time, just as it does with humans. It took the better part of a year for our beloved Sammi and Calo to adapt to one another as they were both territorial males, Sammi had been an "only cat" for 14 years and Calo was alpha in our multicat family. Time, patience and love are key in any family change.

I can’t keep him because my father has said no to it. And Quinn is growling and trying to scratch him. This would not be a good situation for anyone even if he could stay. He is in a drop trap in a separate room now. But he is very affectionate rubbing up against me, so I think it would be impossible not to touch him etc. if he were let out. I have been petting him for a while now and he likes it and rubs against my legs etc. it was really hard keeping him away from me while I was trying to trap him outside for quarantine, and he was upset by the whole situation. I put a new larger crackling kick toy in his cage yesterday, because he loves wrestling with his catnip carrot, and he was totally spooked by it. I had to remove it but I put it back today when I cleaned his cage etc. and he seems ok with it now. He is getting more anxious to get outside etc now and he is looking out the window on the door nearby. So I guess he is recovering now from all the vaccinations and sedation and is fed up with the cage.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I messaged you back. I’ll be doing my best.
He’s safe and okay in the cage right? If safe then he can be there a bit longer. He may want to run around again but it will take a little time for me to research your area. Hoping!
Giving him a new toy was an excellent idea! He is really just bored in the cage and that toy will be a big help.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would close off the window to reduce his sensory overload and add more toys. Additional play time with wand toy would probably be beneficial especially if you can attach the wand to a long stick or old fishing pole; that greatly expands the diameter of the play circle and allows for high leaps and across-the-room dashes for extra thorough exercise. Keeping his energy from getting pent up is key to avoiding boredom and the resulting bad behavior.