Can slippery elm bark be given within less than two hours of s. boulardii or other probiotics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olliepurrington

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read that slippery elm can't be taken within two hours of other meds. Would this include probiotics?

Trying to use the s. boulardii to stop diarrhea, want to try slippery elm bark to potentially help with soothing GI issues, constipation, reducing potential nausea (and as a result maybe helping with appetite).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
SEB coats the lining of the stomach, as I understand it, but I had the same question and didn't find an answer (maybe I didn't look hard enough) as to whether a medication is absorbed differently than a nutrient, or a pre- / pro- biotic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olliepurrington

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, until I hear otherwise I'm going to try to keep the two hour window before and after the slippery elm bark, but it would be much easier if this weren't necessary since both have to be given more than once per day and it is so hard to get this guy to eat sometimes. Thanks again for the reply!

olliepurrington

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, that thread has loads of ideas, I'll check it out!

He is currently on transdermal mirataz, which has helped a little. but he still isn't to the point where he's eating enough to gain weight. he used to eat a whole can at once, now if he is in the mood to eat he just has one or two spoons of it and walks away.

By hand feeding do you mean letting him eat out of your hand? or by syringe? I had to try a syringe a couple weeks ago and it went badly, unfortunately.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use a method my vet taught me, which is using a tongue depressor. Pate style works best with a little water or Hydra Care to moisten it further and whatever supplement mixed in. I lift him on the kitchen counter with a mat down so he doesn't slip, scoop a little into the end of the Popsicle stick (same as a depressor) open his mouth and scoop it into his tongue.

I don't remember any more how he was initially with allowing this, but he was a very sick kitty with triaditus (2019) so he pretty much let me do anything. Now, although he's not thrilled he'll still let me do this for him :) there's a good amount of paper towels put into use sometimes lol

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How are things going? I still am not getting a definitive answer regarding SEB and probiotics, so if possible, if you can maintain that two hour window that's probably smart. Would your vet know a nutritionist, maybe?

Or, if not, here's a website for veterinary nutritionists

Diplomate Directory

Last edited:

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, Slippery Elm does inhibit absorption and should be administered two hours before or after any other supplements or medications. It can be given with other supplements that share it's demulcent or emollient properties, such as psyllium fiber or marshmallow root, but should be given separately from anything else. This is something I've discussed with our veterinary nutritionist in great detail - I am a big fan of Slippery Elm!

Because it coats the digestive tract, it may slow down the absorption of other drugs or herbs. You should take slippery elm 2 hours before or after other herbs or medications you may be taking.
Slippery elm Information | Mount Sinai - New York

I also recommend Animal Essentials Daily Digestion for mild nausea. My IBD boy takes this on a daily basis, it's the feline equivalent of ginger ale or chamomile tea. But we can recommend other things if the nausea seems worse or if Daily Digestion isn't strong enough. Animal Essentials Colon Rescue is stronger but it also contains licorice, which many cats find unpalatable - including mine - which is too bad, because the ingredients are great! And sometimes it's a matter of timing meals and snacks, sometimes it requires medications (for example, Pepcid/Prilosec or Cerenia).
ANIMAL ESSENTIALS Daily Digestion Breath & Digestion Support Dog & Cat Supplement, 1-oz bottle - Chewy.com
ANIMAL ESSENTIALS Colon Rescue Herbal GI Support Dog & Cat Supplement, 2-oz bottle - Chewy.com
ANIMAL ESSENTIALS Colon Rescue Powder Herbal Digestive Aid Dog & Cat Supplement, 1-oz bottle - Chewy.com

Slippery Elm may not be the best option for constipation. Have you considered marshmallow root instead of slippery elm for constipation? They have very similar properties and both add mucilage to the intestinal tract, but marshmallow root is more effective than slippery elm at moving things through the intestines. I use separate, single ingredient supplements for slippery elm and marshmallow root and you can also find products that combine the two. Vet's Best Hairball Relief tablets are a great option, but we should probably go over your cat's symptoms to see if it's the right supplement for you. Miralax and Benefiber are other great options depending on how constipated your cat is right now. My cats have been taking Benefiber for a few weeks for mild constipation and it has been working very well.
VET'S BEST Chewable Tablets Hairball Control Supplement for Cats, 60 count - Chewy.com

olliepurrington

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to you both. I'm very sorry to say we lost him last night. He took a turn for the worse and the vet said he was too sick to recover. I'm heartbroken. He was the sweetest little guy and I already miss him so much.
20220911_210032.jpg
20220804_132006.jpg

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so, so sorry to hear this. It was very evident from your other posts about him that you loved him very, very much and wanted to give him the best care possible. You have a very big heart and I know that he knew how much you loved him, and that he loved you just as much.

olliepurrington

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the kind words. It means a lot.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. You clearly did all that you could for your boy and made the hardest and kindest decision that you could when the time came. When a cat passes, we lock a thread out of respect. If you would like to post a tribute or memorial to him in our Crossing the Bridge forum, you are more than welcome to do so.

Crossing the Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.