Can seasonal allergies cause asthma in cats?

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello.

Last season, I noticed that one of my kitties seems to be having some allergy issues. He would sneeze after playing outdoors, and sometimes get runny eyes. He also developed a snore on occasions at night. Once or twice I caught him low to the ground, head outstretched, sounding like he was coughing or wheezing.

I brought him to the vet, they looked at his eyes and nose, listened to him breath and said they didn't see anything (or hear anything). They didn't do any blood test or anything else. Said he seemed fine and the occasional dose of benedryl could help. She also said, the only way to tell for sure was to do an x-ray but that is very stressful for a cat and she didn't see that it was warranted.

Allergy season is in FULL swing right now. Mine, my cat's and everyone else's. I notice kitty snoring again at night. (It seems like it is on and off, perhaps exacerbated by certain positions. Last night, for the 3rd time in a month, while he was asleep in his kitty tower, I heard him start coughing. He jumps out, gets low to the ground, sticks his head out and does the wheezing thing. I stopped by the vet a week ago and mentioned his snore and audible breathing, and they said "We are seeing about 5-6 cases a day of seasonal allergies. You can give him benedryl." And that was it.

I have been running a humidifier at night but forgot to last night and lo and behold (whether it was coincidence or not) he had his 3rd attack in a month or so.

I don't want to overreact, as the vet's office seemed rather relaxed about the whole thing, but I don't want to underreact and have it be asthma or something dangerous....

Should I give my vet another chance and bring him in? Should I find another vet and see what they have to say?

Am I overreacting?

Help, please

Thanks in advance from this stressed out mamma ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am really having a hard time giving him the benedryl. I have tried giving him half of an adult pill (which is about the dosage they originally suggested) and no matter what I hide it in, he spits it out. He won't be fooled. I resorted to getting the children's chewable benedryl, crushing it into a powder and rubbing it on his teeth/gums. I get some in there but it's not enough, and he bolts away from me. I wonder if the liquid form might be easier in a dropper/syringe? Also, do you know if it's ok to give them the children's benedryl? It has corn syrup in it (which makes it flavored for kids). I wondered about that. The vet didn't really tell me how to best administer it....

Thanks!

I just don't want to wait and have it become a bigger issue

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta

I am really having a hard time giving him the benedryl. I have tried giving him half of an adult pill (which is about the dosage they originally suggested) and no matter what I hide it in, he spits it out. He won't be fooled. I resorted to getting the children's chewable benedryl, crushing it into a powder and rubbing it on his teeth/gums. I get some in there but it's not enough, and he bolts away from me. I wonder if the liquid form might be easier in a dropper/syringe? Also, do you know if it's ok to give them the children's benedryl? It has corn syrup in it (which makes it flavored for kids). I wondered about that. The vet didn't really tell me how to best administer it....

Thanks!

I just don't want to wait and have it become a bigger issue
i don't see corn syrup in the list of ingredients. but that's not a problem. corn is in cat food. it's ok to give the liquid.

but if you want reassurance, you will have to bring him back to your vet (or another vet) for an x-ray and blood work

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes those were the ones I was trying to give him, and had to resort to crushing it into a powder. He acts like I am trying to kill him, he hates it so much. I just bought the liquid form and will give that a try with a dropper and see. I asked about the corn syrup-as that is sugar. But I am sure it will be ok.

I may take him in to a new vet if I decide he needs to go, as I didn't really care for the reaction I got originally from my vet. Thanks for your help. Still a bit undecided about going to the vet