Can neutered cats still hump?

lootytabooty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, there forum,
Around Christmas last year, we found 2 small kittens together that were hardly a month old, one female and one male. They became sexually active and were separated in spring and we got them both altered in July or this year. Everything healed well, the male's cat's scrotum descended, and it seemed like there was no sexual interest between the two of them which is to be expected. However the past few days I've had to scare our male cat from humping his sister. I've separated them for now, but I want to see if this something that other cat owners have experienced as well. Can cats be sexually active after neuter? And if so is it anything to worry about?

Kingcocoa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of his testicle descended and removed?
They can still hump when they are bored.
Or when they want to show that they're stronger.
I've heard stories of neutered cats still humping random things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lootytabooty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both of his testicle descended and removed?
They can still hump when they are bored.
Or when they want to show that they're stronger.
I've heard stories of neutered cats still humping random things.
They are both removed, yes.
And alright, do you know if it's like a health hazard for my girl cat. I don't want him to give her an infection or anything. I don't exactly know how cats work sexually after an alter. Thankfully every time he's made an advance, she beats him up or hisses at him. I just want to make sure before I put them back together in the same room.

Kingcocoa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are both removed, yes.
And alright, do you know if it's like a health hazard for my girl cat. I don't want him to give her an infection or anything. I don't exactly know how cats work sexually after an alter. Thankfully every time he's made an advance, she beats him up or hisses at him. I just want to make sure before I put them back together in the same room.
No hazard, tho his sister cat may get stressed from it

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an adult neutered male and adult neutered female. He mounts her although he doesn't seem to quite know what to do. She will tolerate only so much before she bites him and runs away. Seems more dominance-related and less sexual. I don't think there's ever been anything worth worrying about. Otherwise, they get along very well.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some neutered male cats like to get "happy" every now and then. It's normal behavior. If you have another cat, the male might hump the other cat even if it's a boy. Or the cat may hump your leg or arm or random object he finds suitable.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is completely normal, and more common that you would think. And, while some of it may be dominance-related, not all of it is. Male animals just don't have their instincts totally tied to their anatomy. No need to separate them unless your girl becomes fearful or visible destressed. Her main reaction is probably going to be, "Oh, spit. You again! Whatever."