Can neutered cats spray?

hootiecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yuk my neutered cat tigger was spraying out side the other day, like as if he wasn't neutered. He has been battling it out with a whole male who is trying to eat here, I feel sorry for him so l let him eat. but now the back porch stinks, and I got the boys neutered young so i wouldn't have this problem, and now i saw tigger doing it. Maybe I didn't get him neutered young enough? hootiecat

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is doing the natural thing to all cats when a new intact male is in the vicinity, he is marking his territory to tell the interloper to go away and warn him that if he doesn't there will be a confrontation. Your best bet is to get the intact male trapped and neutered and to buy some enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle and scrub the back porch. Until you can break down the urine, your cat will return about every three days to mark the same spot as a sign to the trespasser.

If you cannot afford to neuter the new cat, then stop feeding outside, and sprinkle some human hair (you can get at any beauty shop) just ask them for the clippings on the floor around the area to keep the stray cat from coming in. If it is truly a stray and hasn't been around humans for a long time, the smell of the human hair will stop him from wanting to come close.

persia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by hissy

If you cannot afford to neuter the new cat, then stop feeding outside, and sprinkle some human hair (you can get at any beauty shop) just ask them for the clippings on the floor around the area to keep the stray cat from coming in. If it is truly a stray and hasn't been around humans for a long time, the smell of the human hair will stop him from wanting to come close.
Hissy, like I said in another thread, one never stops learning! I,personally, never thought of this answer and I thank you for telling me of it!!!I had done other things, but this I haven't done. Again, thank you!!!--persia

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HootieCat, if you need any help with finding a local group that might help trap the un-neutered male, or if you want help with how to find a trap to borrow, or searches for low-cost spay/neuter programs, please stop by the Caring for Strays and Ferals forum. Lots of help to be had.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hootiecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
unfortunately, I've already asked our local no-kill shelter for help with him and with a colony I'm trying to feed across the way and they say no dice, too many cats not enough funds. I try to bring the food in, so he'll go away sometimes, cause I can't afford another cat either. I was just amazed that my neutered cat can still do this!I thought I'd "fixed" the problem, I haven't seen my other 2 males do this. I have to feed mine outside my husband hardly puts up with my cats as it is. I'll keep trying, thanks for your suggestions. hootiecat

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can afford to pay for the neuter, I suggest that you go back to the no-kill shelter group and ask for their help if you will pay. They will have access to low cost spay/neuter programs, and if you are donating the cost of the neuter, my guess is that they will help. I volunteer for a no-kill shelter and they have the same dilemna of no funds. But ours will gladly help folks that are willing to chip in for the cost (we get $20 for neuters and $35 for spays). The more speutered cats, the less pets they are forced to take into their program!

mark kumpf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before trapping but depending on the area, you may want to check with the neighbors to see if the offending unaltered male might belong to someone. It may be better to stop feeding outside and he will find greener pastures other than your porch to mark. If you do trap and have him altered and it turns out that he does belong to someone else, they my get a very big surprise when "Spike" comes home without his factory-installed equipment!

We had a case of this and the offended owner wanted to file a stolen report on two testicles. Shades of urban legend. We asked her is she could descibe the missing property and if it was marked with her social security number or other anti-theft tag. We also asked if she might have just misplaced them by mistake. She did not appreciate the humor too much. Since the animal was running at large when the incident occurred, we counseled her on taking proper care of her pet. She found out when she took the cat to the vet for his annual vaccinations and the vet said, "by the way, which vet did you have the neuter surgery do at so we can contact them and update your records! At that point, the surgery was fully healed and she could not remember when she last saw the missing items!

Ooops!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL!

A few years ago a renter moved in down the road with a slew of cats and some Toms. Talk about fighting! They ended up in our yard, and after enduring the cat fights and going over multiple times to talk to the owner (who always answered the door with a beercan in her hand) I realized I was talking to a brick wall. I took the three Toms in to be neutered and the owner never even noticed! When she finally moved out of the home, she did it in the middle of the night and left all her cats behind.....sigh...They ended up here and I eventually found new homes for all of them except one who just ended up staying here.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HootieCat, you can call 1-800-

persia posted (in the Caring for Strays and Ferals Forum)
I looked this up for u on Google just to make sure it was still there. It is. Its toll free at 1-800-990-spay or you can put in 1800 spay in Google and it is the first link listed. On the second page are listed different state. You click on your state and they will give you the names of vets that will either spay/neuter for free
or low cost or if you call them you tell them the vet you prefer in your area and they contact that vet and ask them how much they would do the operation for. It never costs more than 20.00 dollars for the individual. they do the operation and give them their first rabies shot as part of the deal that 1800Spay makes with them. I had my 2 girls spayed using them and I am really glad there was such a place.
This is SpayUSA, a great org. Might be able to help you to be able to afford getting the cat(s) fixed.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We were having a similar problem several months ago, and I was to the point where I was plotting to pass the offending cat off as my own and have him neutered. Luckily I didn't have to go that far, because the cat's owner finally saw reason. He rarely comes around anymore, which at least has solved the problem of him attacking other cats.
However, JC still diligently marks the bushes in our backyard every day, despite the fact that he has been neutered for almost 4.5 years (he'll be 5 on April 28). If he sees a cat out the window, we don't have any peace until I've put him on his leash and walked him around the perimeter of the yard. He sprays every second or third bush, and alternates every day according to how strong his scent is.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Mark Kumpf
No matter how strange things are, there is always some person that is able to make you believe that the world is too wierd to be believed.
The older I get, the more I think the world (with its inhabitants) is too weird to believe!
What I wanted to point out in my last post, but probably failed to do, was that marking behavior isn't necessarily connected with neutering. JC has been walking outside on his leash since he was 5 months old. For years we laughed because he would make a mad rush for the house and his litter box whenever he felt the "urge" while in the yard. In January 2003 he discovered that cats could urinate outside, thanks to a (at that time uncastrated) neighborhood cat, Tobey. Although he doesn't mark in the house, JC, much like a dog, now "saves" his urine in order to mark his territory around the house. Tobey's owner didn't feel neutering was necessary, and, as an elderly widow receiving very little social security and not owning a car, really couldn't afford to have the operation done. After another neighbor (whose cat was injured by Tobey) and I threatened a lawsuit, she gave in. We scripted everything in advance, and I offered to take Tobey to the vet and pay up front, so everything was "legal". Sometimes you have to resort to deception. If she hadn't agreed, I would have catnapped Tobey and had him fixed, simply to stop him from attacking other cats and fathering litters. Tobey is now sticking close to home, is no longer attacking other cats or stinking up the neighborhood, and his owner is reimbursing the expense of his neutering. So sometimes there is a happy ending.