Can My Spayed Cat Be Pregnant????

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my cat Chloe has been fixed... I think... she has been fixed for a while, we got her fixed about a year and a half ago, but lately, I have noticed that she is SO fat all of a sudden, and I don't overfeed her. Is it possible for either the vet accidently did it wrong, or that Chloe's body refused to be spayed?? I mean, seriously, she is FAT!

Thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaying removes the uterus and ovaries, so, no, she couldn't be pregnant unless the vet didn't do anything at all. Even if he did it a little bit wrong she wouldn't be able to support a pregnancy. Is she fat all over or is her tummy sticking out? If she's fat all over, probably her metabolism just changed and she needs less food. If her tummy is sticking out, it could be a health problem :(. Better have her checked by a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
fat on her whole stomach even on sides but no where else is fat or evem chubby, she is a very small cat

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let me think.  In the middle of the night, I cant remember.  Can false pregnancy be in a spayed female? Or is it only for fertile ones?

If the vet didnt spaying, castrathing taking ovaries and uterus, but just done a classical old fashioned sterilising, just severing the tubes "vasectomy"...  (In Swedish, the word commonly used for spaying females IS sterilising - really wrongly as they are spayed for real).

And if mother Nature managed to heal the severe tube...    Just barely possible.

I would defintely recommend a visit to vet. Im sure any good vet wants to look at her. May be quite harmless, might be more serious too.  You dont need to rush her to your emergency vet, but dont wait.

Good luck!

p.s.  one of the "harmless" possibilities is worms.  With so big tummy a rather heavy infestition, you should probably detect it in other ways too.   What do you think, is it possible?

Last edited:

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well, somw time in march, ALL of my animals are due to go to the vet for a yearly checkup and Chloe will be going too... so I will definately mention her fatness

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
well, some time in march, ALL of my animals are due to go to the vet for a yearly checkup and Chloe will be going too... so I will definately mention her fatness
Nay, dont just mention she is fat.  Tell she is thick in tummy, and you are so wondering if it is just fatness or something entirely else.

You want a thorough check up, not a list of allowed foods. "sure, she can eat anything she likes. Here is a list of what she is allowed to like".

And please make sure the appo is in the first days of mars, not last days of mars. 

Although you dont need to rush to the emergency vet, I dont think you should delay IF it is not common fatness.

Good luck!

brinnan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats gaining weight after being spayed is entirely normal, too. One of my rescues (a feral with a litter) was spayed after her litter was weaned. A few months later, and I would think she is pregnant, but it is definitely just weight she's put on. I think pregnancy and weight gain in a cat often look similar, though feel very different.

brinnan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats gaining weight after being spayed is entirely normal, too. One of my rescues (a feral with a litter) was spayed after her litter was weaned. A few months later, and I would think she is pregnant, but it is definitely just weight she's put on. I think pregnancy and weight gain in a cat often look similar, though feel very different.

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
that happened to my dog after we got her fixed.. I just did'nt know it happened to cats too :D thanks for all of ya'lls help!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think spaying causes obesity. . .I've known several unspayed dogs who were VERY fat. Although I think being in heat is more stressful for a cat, which might put her off her food, which would obviously prevent weight gain. But I have known a couple of overweight unspayed cats. Neutering males does cause a decreased calorie requirement--testosterone burns a ton of calories!-- but female hormones aren't so great for preventing weight gain. But this doesn't mean that neutering causes obesity, it just means you have to cut his food intake back. Obesity is simply caused by too much food (and occasionally some kinds of health problems, like low thyroid).

nicky reyneke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well my cat Socks (sorry, I know its a male name but she was a feral 2 month old kitten when we caught her and we couldn't get close to her at the time to check what she was - so thats how she ended up with her name) .  Well today she is just under a year old and is very small framed in size.  We noticed on Monday evening (earlier this week) that she seemed to have gained a little bit of weight around her tummy and thought that she may be sick and needs to see the Vet.  As we stay in a very small town the Vet is only in on Tuesdays so we planned on taking her to the Vet next week.  Well imagine our surprise 3 days ago (Thursday morning) when my husband had the cat on his lap and felt something move in her belly!

Surely she cant be pregnant was our initial thoughts!  I mean - she HAS been spayed for goodness sake!  Well I then did some research for signs and symptoms - everything I read seemed to indicate that she was:  She was spending more time around us (instead of her usual stealth mode to her food bowl and outside again), she is more affectionate towards us, is allowing us to pet and stroke her, she is constantly hungry and her nipples were slightly enlarged and pink....

Well imagine our surprise when earlier today she lay on my lap and constantly tried to curl up next to me - something very out of her character.  At 4.15pm this afternoon (just over 2 hours ago) I noticed that the blanket I had over my lap had urine stains on it......  Could she be in labour?....  Nooooo - surely not!!!!!   Given her small size I estimated that she was perhaps only 4 weeks along at best and had probably another 5 weeks to go!  Anyway I decided to make a bed for her just to be on the safe side (in case she was aborting)... 

Well 16 minutes later, at 4.31pm she gave birth to her first little one, at 5.06pm she gave birth to kitten no 2 and as I sit here and type this baby no 3 has just popped out at 6.40pm.

Just 3 Days ago I had 3 adopted cats (Socks & her brother Tiger (who was neutered at the same time Socks was spayed) and my youngest baby Chloe now 4 months old, whom I found abandoned by her mother at just 4 days old.  My household now has 6 cats and who knows how many more are going to pop out of her!!  

The scary thing is that although they look like their mother, one looks very much like my male cat Tiger, which makes me think what the heck did the vet do!

Not sure how she could have fallen pregnant to begin with, but you can bet your bottom dollar I will be calling the Vet first thing in the morning to demand an explanation!! 

So for all the sceptics out there, be assured that sometimes things like this do happen and the Sunday you thought you were going to have turned out completely different! :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that's a surprise! How old was she when she was "spayed"? And she had the shaved belly and an incision, too, right? How crazy! Yeah, I'd definitely have a word with that vet :lol3:.

You should be able to tell if the male is fully neutered. His urine would smell very strong and he would be very "macho" if not properly neutered. And if he wasn't cryptorchid you would see the testicles. But if she doesn't go outside I don't see any other alternative :dk:. I hope the vet makes things right for everyone.

nicky reyneke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes it was definitely a surprise 
 .  She was about 6 months old when we had her spayed.  They shaved her side just in front of her hind back leg and she had a 5cm long incision that took 2 weeks to heal.  We were told by the vet to bring her back to have the stitches out in a week but as the cut was slightly inflamed we had to wait another week. We also noticed that she has had a bit of a personality change after that and seems to have become even more scared if you approach her to quickly. .

My male had HUGE testicles but since his trip to the vet they are now about half the size.  He was never very "macho" to begin with and doesn't use a litter tray so it makes it difficult to tell the smell of his urine.  However since they botched the female I wouldn't put it past this vet to have not done that procedure on him correctly either!  They also had problems anethatising him as he bit and scratched them when they tried.  Luckily I came back to check on him at lunch time and could then talk and distract him while they put him under.  

I still need to have my youngest little angel done & microchipped, however I think I will rather brave the 3 hour round road trip and see a bigger veterinarian clinic other than the one in town!

reigninseattle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
During a neuter they remove the testes, but it can still look like they're there. Feel around down there if he'll let you, if he still has them you will be able to tell :-)

kittylover555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was asking the same question.

My California Spangled suddenly got super affectionate and overweight, though shes usually very energetic, shes just laying around sleeping, so I searched up signs of a pregnant cat, and answered yes to almost all of the questions, I answered no to the ones of her not being spayed, otherwise, shes pretty much pregnant. It`s frustrating me because I don`t think shes pregnant, but at the same time, I do think shes pregnant, but she cant be pregnant , because she got spayed!... I think, everyone says she got spayed, so I`m pretty sure shes spayed, but all the signs point to pregnant, HELP ME!!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
K kittylover555

Did you get her spayed, or were you told she was spayed when you got her? Also, does she go outside, or live inside with an unneutered male?

Last edited:

allblack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well imagine my surprise our cat was speyed nearly 5 yrs ago after two litters ,she has always at least once or twice a yr has like a false pregnancy where for two weeks she eats more and tummy gets bigger in 2nd week then 3rd week she's back to normal, so naturally I thought this time was just one of those cicles til Saturday night she got extremely cuddly and wanting following me everywhere which she did in previous pregnancys couldn't feel any movement but didn't in other pregnancys either so thought she's speyed just being extra friendly tonight but no low and behold Sunday morning we have 4 kittens you can imagine my shock,as never have i heard a speyed cat having kittens ,well on speaking with vet she was speyed with this week apparently only her ovaries were taken and they really don't know how she has fallen pregnant but are going to investigate when they re spey her in 6 weeks time,but really keen to know why after nearly 5 yrs she fell pregnant so others are aware as well, this time round they are taking the lot ovaries (she's not meant to have) uterus tubes

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A allblack

Clearly, she was not properly spayed at all. A cat cannot get pregnant without her ovaries, tubes, and uterus.

A spay involves complete removal of all of the reproductive organs.

I have to think that your cat was given an abortion 5 years ago, but not a spay.

Anyway, what a surprise to have kittens now! Your cat will be happier and healthier when she is no longer experiencing estrus cycles after her kittens wean and she is spayed.

ben64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was spayed over 2years ago an ifound a baby kitten in my grage and my black cat was missing and I found a black baby kitten.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A allblack

Clearly, she was not properly spayed at all. A cat cannot get pregnant without her ovaries, tubes, and uterus.

A spay involves complete removal of all of the reproductive organs.

I have to think that your cat was given an abortion 5 years ago, but not a spay.
Not necessarily. Many European vets (and I think they must be European or Australian, due to spelling it "spey") will do ovariectomies and not remove the uterus. If done properly, the lack of hormones will make the uterus shrivel up so there's no risk of pyo. The vet must have missed a bit of an ovary and there were enough hormones to support a pregnancy.