Can My Kitten Be Pregnant???

MimosaEsponjosa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten Stripes is 18 weeks old, so about 4 months, I adopted her mom and she gave birth to 5 little fluff balls, her momma cat has gone into heat after giving birth but our vet has recommended to wait before spaying because she is under weight (I have been feeding her correctly with prescription food but she was extremely thin when I got her we could feel all her bones) anyways about three weeks ago Momma cat got in heat and a tom cat was seen around the neighbourhood, don't know if it's a stray or a neighbour's cat, that day my dad called my job to say Stripes and Momma cat were hissing at each other and didn't want to go near each other, so now three weeks later Momma cat is definitely pregnant again and gaining weight quickly, she's always been a picky eater but now she wolfs down everything, she's looking healthy but I noticed that Stripes' nipples looked a little bit pointy and pink and she's looking chubby, Momma cat and Stripes have occasionally hissed at each other again but also Momma cat hisses at her other kittens when they try to nurse (it was very hard to wean them, they were kept in a different room and now they eat their kibble just fine but occasionally cuddle with Momma cat and try to nurse in their sleep) so I don't know if Stripes could be pregnant???? She was only about 13-14 weeks olds when tom cat was seen. Could she have gotten pregnant so young? Is that why they hiss at each other?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to have a long talk with your vet about what to do
with the kittens she's carrying that he didn't seem to think would happen. Then, I think, you might consider a more realistic vet.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I believe that the earliest cats can become pregnant is at 16 weeks of age, so I don’t think she should be pregnant if the only time she came into contact with an intact male is at 13-14 weeks, but, with the signs you’re seeing, I would still recommend checking in with a vet.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is the sickly thin female who can't be spayed yet being let outside around intact males in the first place? Find a new vet and keep your cats inside and separate until they are spayed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can get your mama cat spayed right now and avoid this litter. It may not be what you would prefer to do, but if your cat was too underweight to be spayed before, she should in no way carry another litter. She and her kittens definitely need to be inside only until all are spayed and neutered.

Kittens can get pregnant starting at 4 months, and it sounds like your kitten is pregnant. This is unhealthy, and the kitten is too small and young to carry, deliver, and nurse a litter. Please get her spayed right away so she can grow up normally.

Do you need help finding a low-cost spay/neuter program near you? Please state your city and town and I will give you options.

M MimosaEsponjosa

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you hesitate, remember cats do die from complications of pregnancy as do the kittens.