Can my Himalayan Cat Travel through Air?

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey!

First of – I hope this is appropriate to post. If not, I apologize. Longer post – if want to skip to the point – go below the dotted line

My parents took in my brother’s Himalayan cat (Walter) after his divorce (or else he’d be going to a shelter – I hate people who give up their pets after divorce!!!) – and they are in LOVE with him! Even my dad who hates animals and cats – loves him! Yes, I love him too – we’ve had cats for the past 2 decades (all types of breeds and genders) – but NOTHING and NO cat ever compares to him. We are not even talking about his amazing looks – but his personality!

……………………….

Sadly, I moved away pre-covid to the US and haven’t seen him or my parents for 1.5 years. The borders will re-open to vaccinated individuals in November. They plan to visit me for at least 2 weeks – they will be bringing Walter with them. The drive is over 20 hours, so they are considering traveling by plane. The plan is for Walter to be their “carry-on” item – so he’ll be in the cabin with them (not in the cargo).

BUT I read it’s recommended to NOT travel by plane due to thinning of air when it comes to brachycephalic breeds… but when I think of brachycephalic breeds I think of the “snub” nosed Persians. Walter has a tiny nose, but it is pointing outwards. Is my understand wrong? What do you guys think of the situation? Obviously, we will be asking a Vet – but I find most vets are more in tune with dogs than cats. Walter is roughly 7 years old.

We don’t want anything bad to happen to Walter – I’ve attached some close-up picks of his face. Obviously since we “adopted him”, we don’t know if he’s pure breed, mixed or what… but we love him so we don’t care!

Thanks!!

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is recommended that flat faced animals fly with caution. Walter isn't as flat faced as some, and since he'll be in the main cabin, he "should" be ok, as long as he doesn't stress out much. Of course, there are no guarantees. I would definitely run it past the Vet though.
He sure is a cutie :loveeyes:

Stargirl0623

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, he's gorgeous! I had a Himalayan when I was younger and we traveled with her with caution, but it really depends on the animal.

If he's healthy and hasn't had breathing problems in the past, the risk is lower than if he's got existing issues, but never zero. Himmies are so prone to issues in that department that it's really a call to make based on the individual? Even my Himmie, growing up, would've fallen on different sides of the "could travel" vs "should not" line at different points in her life. When she was young and healthy, she would have been fine; when older and wheezy (and more prone to stressing!), I'd have absolutely not done it.

I'd really recommend talking to a vet and doing whatever diagnostics they recommend to check Walter's respiratory health, and letting that guide the decision! It's never an easy call to make, as you want to stress them as little as possible.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Run it passed the vet, but all commercial flights are in pressurized cabins. He could NOT fly "cargo."