Can my feral ever get along with a new stray?

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all. A neighbor's cat Sammie started coming round about a month ago. Sammie is a "teenager", about a 2 y.o. marmalade fellow, warm, loving, smart, aggressive, and insanely lovely, bursting with energy, and... apparently abandoned by shall we say, Lady X and her fiance. Now, I spoke to Lady X. an attractive younger women, a few times. She seemed positive that all my "issues" with HER cat on my property eating MY cat's food were due to my leaving food out for my feral KittyKat, a ten+ y.o. gentle sweetheart who i.d.k might be a fierce warrior but is about half his size and going through the loss of two close sibs in the last year.

Well, long story short, we talked, I told her, tell me what you want, I will support you ... and she agreed to keep Sammie indoors for a few days, and asked me NOT to feed him so he could "return to his normal feeding schedule" (which apparently I had ruined). I agreed. I also mentioned I noticed some issues with Sammie and she didn't appear to take seriously.

He was indoors for one day. Around here, temps are dipping into the 40's at night, and it's been raining on and off. This last time after one day, (he was supposed to be indoors for three) Sammie is out again, at my door, crying from hunger. He is an enormous eater (and drinker, too) and is begging for food. I walked him over to his house, he is so smart, he cheerfully follows me and patiently waits to go in.

We hear a ruckus. A dog is howling and her fiance is talking?yelling? whatever, at the dog. (Lady X is engaged to this guy and said there are problems between the cat and the dog.) Sammie looks at me patiently. I tell Sammie, let's see if we can get you home through another door and Sammie agrees. This cat speaks English, I swear! But no cat door. So we return to my house and I feed him, otherwise, he will be even more hungry and night is falling fast.

I have not heard a word for days from Lady X. I have concluded that Sammie is (partially?) abandoned and that Lady X has something "off" with her personality, so not to take her behavior personally. Sammie is now being fed over here, where at least he is safe. He is SO hungry~ Too many times, this has happened. Sammie should not be harmed due to whatever is going on, he is too beautiful and sweet.

Problem is... KittyKat does not like Sammie, and to be honest, Sammie does seem to dominate and bully her, I am not sure if this is just a cat thing or what??? I love Sammie dearly, and Lady X must love him too, he is so magical.... but this is very stressful as I have a bond with Kitty and I don't know how to proceed or what to do. Sammie deserves so much better than this. Why, Lady X? She just told me, "Sammie is an outdoor cat". As if that explains everything.

And yet Kitty deserves to be loved, too. And feel safe. Right?

I cannot bring these cats in, Sammie has insane amounts of energy, we are not set up for indoor cats and my husband is a hard no.
Is there anything I can do to promote some peace? I don't think calling her is going to help anymore as all she has done is gaslight me. Sammie1.jpg Sammie#.jpg Kitty3.jpg KittyCrop (2).jpg

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wonderful story and sad too, shame, shame on lady X! However, I’m highly confident your feline pals will and can become the best of friends. Try Feliway, it worked wonders in our home with 4 rescued stray/ feral cats.(now my daughter has brought 2 feral kittens that she trapped over the summer)That’s another story. Also, keeping them separated worked for us until they became use to one another’s scent. Don’t give up... love and hugs from me to you and kitties too!

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all. A neighbor's cat Sammie started coming round about a month ago. Sammie is a "teenager", about a 2 y.o. marmalade fellow, warm, loving, smart, aggressive, and insanely lovely, bursting with energy, and... apparently abandoned by shall we say, Lady X and her fiance. Now, I spoke to Lady X. an attractive younger women, a few times. She seemed positive that all my "issues" with HER cat on my property eating MY cat's food were due to my leaving food out for my feral KittyKat, a ten+ y.o. gentle sweetheart who i.d.k might be a fierce warrior but is about half his size and going through the loss of two close sibs in the last year.

Well, long story short, we talked, I told her, tell me what you want, I will support you ... and she agreed to keep Sammie indoors for a few days, and asked me NOT to feed him so he could "return to his normal feeding schedule" (which apparently I had ruined). I agreed. I also mentioned I noticed some issues with Sammie and she didn't appear to take seriously.

He was indoors for one day. Around here, temps are dipping into the 40's at night, and it's been raining on and off. This last time after one day, (he was supposed to be indoors for three) Sammie is out again, at my door, crying from hunger. He is an enormous eater (and drinker, too) and is begging for food. I walked him over to his house, he is so smart, he cheerfully follows me and patiently waits to go in.

We hear a ruckus. A dog is howling and her fiance is talking?yelling? whatever, at the dog. (Lady X is engaged to this guy and said there are problems between the cat and the dog.) Sammie looks at me patiently. I tell Sammie, let's see if we can get you home through another door and Sammie agrees. This cat speaks English, I swear! But no cat door. So we return to my house and I feed him, otherwise, he will be even more hungry and night is falling fast.

I have not heard a word for days from Lady X. I have concluded that Sammie is (partially?) abandoned and that Lady X has something "off" with her personality, so not to take her behavior personally. Sammie is now being fed over here, where at least he is safe. He is SO hungry~ Too many times, this has happened. Sammie should not be harmed due to whatever is going on, he is too beautiful and sweet.

Problem is... KittyKat does not like Sammie, and to be honest, Sammie does seem to dominate and bully her, I am not sure if this is just a cat thing or what??? I love Sammie dearly, and Lady X must love him too, he is so magical.... but this is very stressful as I have a bond with Kitty and I don't know how to proceed or what to do. Sammie deserves so much better than this. Why, Lady X? She just told me, "Sammie is an outdoor cat". As if that explains everything.

And yet Kitty deserves to be loved, too. And feel safe. Right?

I cannot bring these cats in, Sammie has insane amounts of energy, we are not set up for indoor cats and my husband is a hard no.
Is there anything I can do to promote some peace? I don't think calling her is going to help anymore as all she has done is gaslight me. View attachment 312427View attachment 312428View attachment 312429View attachment 312431
BEAUTIFUL GUYS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Bookish1. Yes, aren't they both just so pretty? I wish I could get them to get along. Not sure if it's possible bus sure hope so. I looked up Feliway and it appears to be for indoor cats. Thank you for your suggestion though.

It would be nice if there were something for outdoor cats, like very short term valium (this is a joke...) but something that would get them to relax a little just long enough to not have to feel so guarded. Or bully. Not sure this is possible, and I don't look forward to this as my life from now on, managing fighting cats. Defending Kitty. Separating bowls and soothing Sammie who is crying, etc.

So far I have felt I have no choice but to help Sammie... an indoor cat just tossed outdoors as he has been, days at a time, and does not probably have the same "smarts" as my feral KittyKat who also is not that bright, either. She can't even catch a mouse. I think her mom abandoned them at a very early age. Love her anyway!

Be well and enjoy your ferals! They are so much more rewarding than I ever knew when I moved in and found three of them (two now gone) came with the place!

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, sorry I misunderstood I thought you were trying to bring Sammie in. Then feliway would’ve helped. I think feral cats are just territorial and have had to fight for everything their entire life. Poor babies huh? I sure hope they can coexist, love you for trying, these guys deserve love and a home. One of the cruelest things a pet owner can do is throw an indoor pet outdoors, and say “ on your way” makes me ANGRY. Anyway good luck, and love and hugs!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Thank you, Bookish1. Yes, aren't they both just so pretty? I wish I could get them to get along. Not sure if it's possible bus sure hope so. I looked up Feliway and it appears to be for indoor cats. Thank you for your suggestion though.

It would be nice if there were something for outdoor cats, like very short term valium (this is a joke...) but something that would get them to relax a little just long enough to not have to feel so guarded. Or bully. Not sure this is possible, and I don't look forward to this as my life from now on, managing fighting cats. Defending Kitty. Separating bowls and soothing Sammie who is crying, etc.

So far I have felt I have no choice but to help Sammie... an indoor cat just tossed outdoors as he has been, days at a time, and does not probably have the same "smarts" as my feral KittyKat who also is not that bright, either. She can't even catch a mouse. I think her mom abandoned them at a very early age. Love her anyway!

Be well and enjoy your ferals! They are so much more rewarding than I ever knew when I moved in and found three of them (two now gone) came with the place!
amazon has these calm treats=you can try that.

feliway plugs into an outlet=if you have an outlet on the deck maybe try?

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You said it... (grin) not me. But yes the cat is left out all night, poor thing.

I have been wondering, maybe I should stop feeding it? I don't want KittyKat to "suffer" at the expense of Sammie but not sure how to live with myself seeing a hungry mistreated cat - i just get so sad.... it would be easier if Sammie was a dingbat too but he is an angel... except to my feral!

Maybe that's just how it is? Does it ever change? Am I doing the right thing by helping him?

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
amazon has these calm treats=you can try that.

feliway plugs into an outlet=if you have an outlet on the deck maybe try?
Thanks for the tip on Compusure! Just bought some!!! Yay! Fingers crossed...

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
You said it... (grin) not me. But yes the cat is left out all night, poor thing.

I have been wondering, maybe I should stop feeding it? I don't want KittyKat to "suffer" at the expense of Sammie but not sure how to live with myself seeing a hungry mistreated cat - i just get so sad.... it would be easier if Sammie was a dingbat too but he is an angel... except to my feral!

Maybe that's just how it is? Does it ever change? Am I doing the right thing by helping him?
I am kind of defiant and I would keep feeding..but that's just me.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah... me too. The sight of a little fur angel crying at my back door is way too much for me to live through. It's hard enough not catnapping him! I think Lady X is actually in a tough place, caught between her cat and her fiance. Time to be a friend when I can.