Can My Cat Sense My Panic??

Sarahjwilliams930

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I've generally had anxiety and panic about my health and well being my entire life, but recently it has gotten significantly worse. I have a few panic attacks a day, some at home and some out. I have had my cat for a little over a year now and she is very sweet. Loving and vocal, but also very independent. She loves to be alone and will rarely follow you or ask for attention (unless she hasn't been fed of course). But lately, whenever I'm having loads of anxiety, she will follow me and meow. She will also headbutt my phone out of my hand and constantly be rubbing herself on me. She won't let me out of her sight. Like I said, she does not do this often at all. Should I be worried, or do you think she is just trying to help me feel better? I've heard cats can sense when you have an illness and my silly anxiety has been putting that fear into my head (so silly, I know.) I attached a photo of an example of what she does.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarahjwilliams930

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and she also licks me and lightly pats me anywhere she can reach. It's so strange. Just thought I'd add that.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they can definitely sense when something is off. I has a small stomach bug a little over a week ago, and my kitty, who normally expects playtime as soon as I get home, kept trying to lick me instead and when I went to bed stayed on the bed with me until my fever broke. She knew and understood.

I wouldn't worry your cat is sensing some underlying disease, but can sense the anxiety attacks making you "unwell".

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:

I 100% believe that cats understand their human's emotions far better than other humans do. I've been around cats my entire life and had many feline friends with a sixth sense to what's going on around them. Never underestimate just how clever and sensitive cats can be (and just how stupid and uncaring fellow humans can be likewise). I have many examples of being helped out of a deep hole by a cat, and have even had a cat who actually helped me in situations where I needed an ally when faced with potentially problematic humans. But you know already that your cat is tending to you in your times of need. Please don't worry that you're putting your woes upon her, as like any good friend, she'll do what she can to help, and do it gladly.

Can I just ask, on the off-chance, is your cat spayed?

And, what is her name? She sounds like a great pal and one to treasure.

:catrub:

Last edited:

SantoJenMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently been diagnosed with panic attacks.

Today Xena once again circled me. She yelled and complained. As I reached down to touch her, I noticed my forehead was beaded without sweat. I realized that she has been predicting my panic attacks before they occurred.

If I was resting on a sofa and having an attack, she doesn't complain. If I was standing before my PA Xena became frantic until I sat down. Then she will pressed her body hard on my legs while I was experiencing PA. This began just before my diagnosis.

So yes, I believe your cat senses your panic attacks. I also believe cats, like Xena, can predict a panic attack episode. My other 2 cats can't, but Xena does.

So we are lucky to have loving, smart, empathic cats who love us.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s Casper’s job! :D

Casper’s Girl-Human gets anxiety and he is her emotional support kitty. I must say that he does his job very well!

Whenever she gets upset, Casper is right there within a minute or two. He goes over to her for some petting and kitty-loving then, a moment later, he hops up on her lap. Within five or ten minutes, she calms down then Casper moves over to the sofa, beside her where he’ll lay until the episode is over.

I have never seen an emotional support animal that does the job as well as Casper.

There is no doubt in my mind that cats know how their humans feel and can act accordingly.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband has anxiety and gets panic attacks. Sometimes he just gets angry about the world and stews a bit. His kitty Gohan - who will run when he sneezes or if you move wrong but was adopted by my husband as a 5 week feral kitten - will crawl into his lap and just chill there no matter how angry or animatedly he gets. Definitely picking up on the anger or anxiety and helping.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper could be upstairs, sleeping or doing other “important cat business,” but, if he hears his Girl-Human having a moment of distress, he will come downstairs to investigate.

When we first adopted Casper, I sat down with him and told him that, if he takes care of his Girl-Human, I would make sure he had a warm bed, good food to eat and all the catnip he wanted. He looked at me as if to say, “Okay,”

Casper has always held up his end of the deal and I am happy to hold up mine. :)

Sometimes, it’s spooky how well Casper seems to know when to be there for his Human!