Can my cat get booster vaccines of a different brand / from a different vet?

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my kitten to get his rabies and feline leukemia vaccines last week and I had a bad experience at the vet I went to - the whole staff was super confused about everything, didn't read his existing vaccine / health paperwork despite it being provided, and gave him a FVRCPC booster that he wasn't supposed to get along with the rabies and feline leukemia vaccine without telling me (I only found out after seeing it on the invoice).

He is supposed to go back for a second feline leukemia shot in 4 weeks, but I don't feel comfortable taking him back to the same vet office. Is it okay for me to take him to a different vet office for the second feline leukemia shot? I'm worried that potentially a different office will use a different brand of feline leukemia vaccine, would this be a problem?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's always fine to change vets :) When you make the appointment with the new vet, be sure to tell that that your cat had received X brand of the feline leukemia vaccine on X date from the previous vet and if they use the same brand or not. If they don't, ask if it would be ok for your cat to receive a different brand of the vaccine or not.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can switch brands between boosters. It won't change the effectiveness of the vaccines.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the replies! That sounds good and I will confirm about the vaccine brands with the next vet I visit.