Can Krill Oil (NKO NOW) give kitty diarrhea?

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, i just started giving my kitty NOW Krill Oil 500mg which I ordered from Amazon and now he's having diarrhea 

Did I make a mistake by giving a full capsule to him? Should've started with smaller dose? Or is it that the package arrived really warm and the oil went bad and I should throw away the whole thing? 

I'm gonna stop with the oil to see if his diarrhea will go away but would like to know what you guys think. Has anybody experienced anything similar?

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there - 

Couple of questions, how old is your kitty?  Is there a reason why your giving your kitty supplements, recommended by a vet?

My girl, now 13 is highly allergic to fish, I even have to be careful her foods, and even her Royal Canin Urinary SO prescription food has fish oil and I need to water it down so it's not concentrated.

Do you have a vet to call.   What I've read and know from my own experiences diarrhea and kittens is not good.  It could be anything.

I'm sure an experienced member will chime in with more solid advice for you.  But for now I would stop it too.

What kind of food are you feeding?

Best to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's a big boy, 1.5 years old. I've been feeding him raw for a couple of months and adding omega-3 supplement is recommended when doing raw diet, so that's the reason for me to try it :) 

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gotcha, I don't fee raw.  

However there is a Raw Food section in the Nutrition section. If that makes sense.  You may find answers there.

I hope your wee one gets better.

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It happened with my own cat.  I would suggest building up to one softgel a day.

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks @OceanBreathes  that is reassuring

Any idea, though, if the fact that it arrived really warm could've ruined the oil in any way? I would feel silly trying to get kitty to tolerate it while it's not doing him any good....

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Any idea, though, if the fact that it arrived really warm could've ruined the oil in any way?
I understand that heat can 'damage'/lessen some of the beneficial effects of Krill oil.

I've read posts by  Laurie - @LDG - to that effect......perhaps she'll offer some input.

Last edited:

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's definitely a concern but it really depends on just how hot it got/length of exposure. Krill oil has the advantage of astaxanthin, which is somewhat protective of the omegas, basically.

I would contact the manufacturer. You could also raise your concerns with whomever you purchased it from. Good luck. I hate getting warm supplement packages, especially when they contain omegas or probiotics :/

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure if it matters, but it didn't melt or anything, it was just on the UPS delivery vehicle all day... One would think they simply wouldn't ship these things (probiotics & oils and what not) in just regular boxes 
 or during summer or give you an option to pay more for ice packing or something 

Yeah, i'm gonna right to both, Now Foods and Amazon Seller and see what they'll say if anything :)

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah. I had a similar experience recently with a refrigerated liquid medication. My roommate & I saw that it was "out for delivery" at 7am and it finally arrived around 6pm, despite labels indicating it was highly perishable.

Please let me know what they say; I have krill oil and DHA on the way in this heat as well.

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course, I'll report back here with any reply or lack thereof. 

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please let me know what they say; I have krill oil and DHA on the way in this heat as well.
Here's what Amazon answered:

'The Krill oil can withstand the extreme summer heat, no problem.  Just store in a cool place once you get it home.' Which is not very comforting, to be honest... Still waiting on a reply from NOW Foods.

Edit:

Just got a new reply from Amazon where they promise me a refund and request that i order the Krill Oil again with 1 day shipping, the cost of which they promise to waive.

Last edited:

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ooooops, i mixed up all the e-mails :) 

So it's from NOW Foods I got: "The Krill oil can withstand the extreme summer heat, no problem.  Just store in a cool place once you get it home"

And Amazon is going to issue a refund and facilitate next order with free 1 day shipping... 

Phew, i feel so much better and so does my kitty, btw