Can I use this as cat litter?

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is small pet wood bedding safe to use as cat litter? I got plenty of that in a big box its about half full for the rabbit ,the rabbit barely puts a dent in it after each bedding change and if it is safe for cats I would only use enough to cover the bottom and change frequently

Here in about 3 days I'm going to need to dump the cat boxes the issue is I have no cat litter left to refill the boxes and I don't get paid until Dec 1st and the cat litter (other cat stuff) and rabbit bedding (other rabbit stuff) won't get here until around Dec 3rd (online orders) and I don't wanna die of cat pee stink until cat litter gets here

I'm never buying paws n claws again it doesn't stay clumped it starts to SMELL within 2 days even with frequent scooping its worse then the non clumping generic you find at dollar tree ITS HORRIBLE lol

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it shavings? They should work ok, but aren't going to be great for odor control. Do you have a place you can get wood pellets? Wood stove pellets, wood pellet horse stall bedding, same thing, both work for cat litter, and only $5 or $6 for a 40 lb bag.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My problems with shavings: they track EVERYWHERE. There's not much odor control so you have to change frequently (it's light and cheap so that's fine). It's very lightweight, so some clumsy cats may dump the box over. But worth a try if you want to.

Pellets are better but my cats don't like pellets, ugh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it shavings? They should work ok, but aren't going to be great for odor control. Do you have a place you can get wood pellets? Wood stove pellets, wood pellet horse stall bedding, same thing, both work for cat litter, and only $5 or $6 for a 40 lb bag.
The reason why I'm asking because if I had 6 bucks I would get cheap cat litter, I don't get paid tell December1st meaning I'm broke

And its shavings

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My problems with shavings: they track EVERYWHERE. There's not much odor control so you have to change frequently (it's light and cheap so that's fine). It's very lightweight, so some clumsy cats may dump the box over. But worth a try if you want to.

Pellets are better but my cats don't like pellets, ugh.
Will I need to use something tell I get paid on the 1st, I was more worried if it'll hurt the cats

Can't do pellets bc most if not all are pine and I don't have money right now to buy anything

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shredded newspaper works too, ask at the Post Office (or anywhere else that distributes circulars) if they have any old papers you can take. Oh, and some towns have wood chip piles where you can take a bucket or two for free, maybe ask at City Hall about that.

Pine pellets are fine, I guess they bake them a certain way so it's not harmful to cats. I'm allergic though! :rolleyes2:

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shredded newspaper works too, ask at the Post Office (or anywhere else that distributes circulars) if they have any old papers you can take. Oh, and some towns have wood chip piles where you can take a bucket or two for free, maybe ask at City Hall about that.

Pine pellets are fine, I guess they bake them a certain way so it's not harmful to cats. I'm allergic though! :rolleyes2:
Its not pellet kind its shredded if that makes sense

I'm still running on the cat litter in the box's and its now stinks and I'm still unsure if its safe to use the rabbit bedding temporally

Anyone have any idea if its safe or not?

I don't even have money to even get cat litter so recommending different kinds don't help with this situation -_- I can't get cat litter until after Dec 1st

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't see why it wouldn't be safe. I've used something similar in the past. The tracking is bad but if it's temporary and your only option, it sure is better than no clean box and cats going wherever.

Do you have the name / brand / any other info on the type of wood shavings you have? Maybe the name so we could Google it and see what's in it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's safe for the rabbit, it's safe for the cats.

Yes, I was talking about regular wood shavings when I said it tracks like crazy and is so light the cats knock over the box.

If you use the shavings, it might be best to put newspaper down on the bottom of the box and put the shavings on top, that'll weigh it down a little plus add some absorbency.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started using it 2 days ago unsure on name brand or where it came from because my mom got it it came in a big cardboard box,

Its tracking some but that don't bother me ,I had to cut the boxes amount from 4 to 2 due to 2 of the boxes got tipped which I was expecting lol, so I put the empty box under the other one to weigh it down some

I don't have newspapers

Its actually holding the odor better then the paws n claws clumping 🤦

The cats are using it just fine but the first few hours they was thrown off as far as I can tell they haven't went anywhere else

Do they make wood cat litter that isn't pine or walnut?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tractor Supply used to have pellets made of corncob that were pretty good. Softer than pine pellets and didn't smell piney. Not as cheap as pine though. But still cheaper than clay litter. I don't buy them now so I don't know if TSC still has them.

Well, it's still on the website:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/best-cob-premium-horse-bedding

It's lighter than clay litter so the 40-pound bag is HUGE.