Can I use dog Frontline Plus on 12 week old kittens?

jeb1954

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - New here. Any recommendations on if the Frontline Plus for dogs is safe for kittens that are 12 weeks old ?

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi - New here. Any recommendations on if the Frontline Plus for dogs is safe for kittens that are 12 weeks old ?
The Frontline Plus should clearly state DO NOT USE ON CATS if it contains any kind of 'thrins' it is toxic.

Just use the cat topical and also read all directions especially when it comes to kittens.

I don't even let my dog near my cats when applying his flea/tick medication until it is completely dry.

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been buying the large dog size of Frontline and splitting it up for cats for years...but the most recent package says "DO NOT USE ON CATS" all over it...I'm pretty sure it never said that before, so I'm wondering if they have changed the formulation. I've been on the company's website for the past 20 minutes trying to figure it out, but I can't find anywhere that mentions a difference other than size between the cat and dog version...but I just wanted to be sure before I use it. Anyone know for sure that it is still ok to use Frontline for dogs for cats?
No. Use Frontline for cats.

The only flea product I have heard used on both cats & dogs is Capstar.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, for young kittens using frontline spray is a great option. It can berserk on young kittens and there is no weight requirement.

Dog flea/tick meds can be highly toxic for cats as most contain permethrins. Permethrins cause neurological toxicity in felines.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frontline Plus is the same for cats and dogs. Also Advantage II. You just have to make sure to get the dosing correct (easily found online). Revolution can also be used on cats and dogs but some formulas have a different dosage per ml so it's a bit more complicated. No other products should be used like this, especially Advantix (very dangerous for cats!!!!).

And the average pet owner probably should just get the prepackaged dose that's right for their pet. But for rescues, or someone who has a lot of cats, this is a lifesaver.

Last edited: