Can I Use A Heating Pad With Straw?

tinshopcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a stray dog and fixed up a kennel for her; named her Baeli. I created her a little sleeping area in the kennel blocked off from wind but for cold nights, I got her a K&H heating pad; the hard plastic kind with a chew proof cord.

She loves her straw but I'm wondering if it's safe to put the pad on or under the straw? I believe the pad keeps a steady temp of 100 F. Or should I do away with the straw and use towels/blankets instead? My concern was the bedding getting wet and cold from her feet. Unless I put a welcome type mat at the dog door to help dry her feet before stepping in?

Thoughts? Thanks!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't want to risk mixing heating pads with straw. The fire risk is too high. If you want to use the heat pad, use a less flammable bedding material ;)

Straw is a fantastic heat insulator on its own. You can add in some heat reflective blankets if you want to boost the warmth a bit.

This is about cat shelters, but most it it can be applied to dog kennels too:
I have lots!

Rubbermaid Magic Boxes. Inside is insulated with Reflectix and heat pad in the bottom

This is my Shed in a Box. Inside is all of the shelters

This is the heated house my DH and DS built. It is insulated and is heated with a hound heater.

These are made by K&H. They have a heat pad in the bottom

This is a feral villa my DH built

Inside the feral villa

Is there a particular reason you're keeping Baeli outside? I've always had my dogs in the house (along with us and the cats). I do know some people who keep their dogs in outside kennels, but they're working gundogs rather than regular pets. They have heated kennels too ;)

How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog
Caring For Cats And Dogs

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dogs can generate a lot of heat for themselves. I agree with Columbine, straw, or straw with the body heat reflecting blankets.
Just check Amazon and they've got some really nice ones for less than the price of a heating pad. If the addy doesn't work go to pet supplies dept enter body heat reflecting blanket. If you don't Amazon at least you'll know what's out there.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ls,147&crid=26SS19BBNZF6U&tag=&tag=thecatsite

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
100 degrees which is what they get to or maybe a few degrees warmer is the same as a cat or dogs normal temp. I wouldn't let the straw build up too much on top of it. I use my heatedpads with blankets and check them every few days to see if they need washed. I usually end up washing them every couple of weeks.