Can I Put A Hartz Flee Collar On A Pregnant Cat?

ToastyGotNeutered

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can I put a hartz flee collar on a pregnant cat? What about after it has kittens?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Although, I think flea collars are pretty much useless, the answer would still be no, just as a precaution if nothing else. And, no about after she has kittens, as long as she is nursing, or at least that is what I feel is the best, safest way to go.

Maybe this article will help?

How to Remove Fleas Safely From Mother Cat & Week Old Kittens

ZaMM

Always land on my feet!
Young Cat
Purraise
All flea collars ever did for my cat was make her fur brittle and she was losing it on her back/base of the tail. Off it went and I use shampoo's instead, sensitive kind of course! Much better now.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. Hartz is not the most reputable company on flea control, and on a pregnant anything it could be a potential disaster.
If she's infested, she needs help from a vet. If she's infested, the kittens will be too when they're born, and newborn kittens can easily become anemic and die if they get covered in fleas.
Please call a vet as soon as you can.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just checked and the plain, old fashioned Advantage is said to be safe for pregnant cats.
If she had a few fleas i think a flea comb would be the best, but if she's covered, I'd worry about the kittens becoming anemic once they were born into a nest that was very heavily polluted with fleas.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
just checked and the plain, old fashioned Advantage is said to be safe for pregnant cats.
If she had a few fleas i think a flea comb would be the best, but if she's covered, I'd worry about the kittens becoming anemic once they were born into a nest that was very heavily polluted with fleas.
...And, there you have it. Supported by (just two among other articles):

Advantage Flea Control for Cats

Advantage Flea Control Treatment for Dogs and Cats.

Note: the last article does indicate if Advantage is being used on a lactating mother, to not apply more directly to the kittens while nursing.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...And, there you have it. Supported by (just two among other articles):

Advantage Flea Control for Cats

Advantage Flea Control Treatment for Dogs and Cats.

Note: the last article does indicate if Advantage is being used on a lactating mother, to not apply more directly to the kittens while nursing.
The first one brings up a question I've been meaning to ask.
Is buying things like this online safe? I've heard people use things like 1800 pet med and chewy and things like that, but is buying this stuff from a place like amazon legitimate?
There's a company, supplements for pets and people, that only work through doctors, alternative doctors, and vets and holistic vets. It doesn't require a script but they don't ship their product out to wall mart. Their website states that they don't sell to anyone without a license (who in turn sell it to their customers), but amazon prime had these supplements listed as an "order with 1 click" item and I thought that was a little 'spicious.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good question. Since I have never bought Advantage online, I have no frickin' clue. A lot of people are questioning what comes from Amazon, but so far if I compare it to other retailers (in terms of packaging/labeling/disclaimers/etc. and ingredients), I have found no differences.

Tbh, the prices of some of this stuff is not that different, so if one were to worry, but it locally through "proper" channels and stop the fretting. "When in doubt, don't"...

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good question. Since I have never bought Advantage online, I have no frickin' clue. A lot of people are questioning what comes from Amazon, but so far if I compare it to other retailers (in terms of packaging/labeling/disclaimers/etc. and ingredients), I have found no differences.

Tbh, the prices of some of this stuff is not that different, so if one were to worry, but it locally through "proper" channels and stop the fretting. "When in doubt, don't"...
Sound advice my friend!
I've also heard of people buying "large dog" doses and splitting the doses between a large group of cats.
Please, please don't do this!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
've also heard of people buying "large dog" doses and splitting the doses between a large group of cats.
Please, please don't do this!
Be prepared for the onslaught, should those that do this read this thread. It's alright to me if it works for them, and they know what they are doing.

But, owners of pregnant cats, and lactating cats, should be prepared to be a bit more cautious.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be prepared for the onslaught, should those that do this read this thread. It's alright to me if it works for them, and they know what they are doing.

But, owners of pregnant cats, and lactating cats, should be prepared to be a bit more cautious.
I should rephrase that, don't buy "dog only" brands that offer nothing for cats, like K9/Advantix.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never use flea collars after what I saw happen. to one neighborhood cat. She would list my house for food. One day I noticed someone had put a flea collar on her. I checked it to make sure it wasn't too tight. All of her skin under the collar was missing. I immediately took it off.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get the product from a reputable pet pharmacy like Chewy, it should be fine to buy online. I would be wary of third-party sellers on Amazon. There are Chinese counterfeits out there. As already mentioned, the prices aren't all that different.

I buy large dog Advantage and split the dose. But you do have to know what you're doing so I don't like to recommend it to others. Definitely NEVERNEVER use K9 Advantix or another product that's toxic to cats.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ToastyGotNeutered ToastyGotNeutered (great name BTW, very creative and gave me a laugh:flail:) I didn't mean to take over your thread with all this flea prevention talk.
Hopefully you've found something to control fleas, when the kittens arrive I hope you'll ask questions if you have any.
All my best to your little cat and hopes for happy and healthy babies :hellocomputer:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are actually websites dedicated to all the accounts of when Hartz has killed people's pets. I don't know why the heck that company still exists and why they are still putting out products that kill animals. Only use flea, tick and heartworm prevention from the vet clinic. Don't risk it. Also don't forget about ticks and heartworms. Your vet can sell you Revolution or maybe even Revolution Plus which kills fleas, ticks, roundworms, heartworms and ear mites in cats.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't put a Hartz flea collar on a lamp post!

They just, plain, don't work. (Any brand.) Flea collars are supposed to be for prevention. Once an animal becomes infested, a flea collar is like spit in the ocean.

Take the cat to a groomer and have her properly de-flead then take her to a vet and get the right kind of flea medicine. (If your vet can do the flea dip, more's the better.) You need to get rid of these fleas A.S.A.P and certainly before the kittens are born.

The mother cat needs to be strong in order to produce healthy kittens. Having her blood drained by fleas puts even more strain on an already stressed-out metabolic system. Not to mention the chance of infection or parasites. You don't want the kittens to get infested when they are born, either. That's about as bad as it gets.