Can I Keep Two Cats In The Bathroom All Day?

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Help me make a decision here... I need some input. As a follow up to my post in Cat Health, my air conditioner is still broken and the repair people will have to come tomorrow along with my landlord while I’m at work. It’s not an option to get the day off, and I will be at work from 9:30 to at least 7:30 tomorrow. :( I live in a studio apartment (never take your separate rooms with closing doors for granted, y’all!) and the door will likely be opening and closing a lot so I’m of course nervous the cats will get out.

I’m stuck between a) locking Chilli and Clove in the bathroom for the day, or b) bringing them to a friend’s house for the day. I’m leaning towards keeping them home in the bathroom because they are easily stressed and shy, and hate traveling and change. But I feel so bad about it. The bathroom is very small and I know they will scream to get out the whole time. I would put a DO NOT OPEN sign on the door and remind my landlord firmly to not open it, so I don’t think they will get out... Is this the right choice? Is there anything I’m not thinking of?? Help! :(

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bathroom is what I would do. In addition to the do not open sign I'd also put a chair or piece of furniture in front of it. Something that would slow someone down from opening it without paying attention. Check the bathroom for anything that could be dangerous to the cats. Bored cats in a small space can be fairly destructive if they put their minds to it.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I would use the bathroom. Be sure to leave the light on, unless you have a window in your bathroom. Put food and litter as far apart as possible. When I've had to leave a cat in the bathroom I usually put the litter box in the tub or shower with a puppy pad under it. Is there room to put a small scratching post or cat tree in there?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there room to put a small scratching post or cat tree in there?
Yes there is! I plan on putting their little cat tree (with a scratcher) in there. Their litter box is in there anyway so they are used to that.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes there is! I plan on putting their little cat tree (with a scratcher) in there. Their litter box is in there anyway so they are used to that.
It sounds like the bathroom could be the best all around since it's already part of their territory.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How hot is the bathroom with the door closed and the a/c broken? If you had a large dog crate you could put them in in a room with more air circulation that may be better. I do put mine in the bathroom when I have repair people in and out, just haven’t done it when the house is already really hot.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How hot is the bathroom with the door closed and the a/c broken? If you had a large dog crate you could put them in in a room with more air circulation that may be better. I do put mine in the bathroom when I have repair people in and out, just haven’t done it when the house is already really hot.
The bathroom is the coolest part of the house and it’s all tile (walls and floors). It’s supposed to be 10 degrees cooler and rainy tomorrow as well so I think it will be okay. But it might be a bit stuffy. Should I put a fan in there?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bathroom with a fan would be what I'd do, with a full sheet of paper with "DO NOT OPEN" in big letters taped over the knob, with a table infront of the door. Just make sure you put everything away that a bored Clove could fit in her mouth, even if it's not dangerous for her like a loofah she can stil ruin it.

I would use the bathroom. Be sure to leave the light on, unless you have a window in your bathroom. Put food and litter as far apart as possible. When I've had to leave a cat in the bathroom I usually put the litter box in the tub or shower with a puppy pad under it. Is there room to put a small scratching post or cat tree in there?
It's actually a bad idea to put a litterbox in a tub or shower especially if it's clumping litter. Anything that gets down the drain is going to immediately clump and stick to the sides of the pipe, even small amounts will stick and build up over time if it keeps happening.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If there's no window, keep the bathroom light on or a nightlight so the cats aren't in complete darkness.

I've kept the cats in the bathroom for hours while I had work done in my unit. I've also taken them to the groomer for a spa day when workers needed access to both the bedroom and bathroom.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you have to use the shower for the litter pan, put something like plastic sheeting over the entire floor so that nothing goes down the drain. I did have to do that once when I had a litter of feral kittens and no place else to keep them. I agree that you should also rig the door in some way that it reminds the workers that they cannot open it.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I did my best to make it comfy for them. Clove likes sleeping on that scratcher and Chilli likes sleeping on the chair so I put those in for them. Their litter box is behind the door (its usual spot). They have a kibble puzzle, some toys, and I sprinkled some catnip.

6BF72DC7-0294-4D47-A727-0EB8CFAF41DD.jpeg

8856991C-A2D0-4ACE-8B5B-64233FC13D27.jpeg

I think they will both cry for a while and get very anxious and stressed anyway. :( I hope the repair people come earlier than later today.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I did my best to make it comfy for them. Clove likes sleeping on that scratcher and Chilli likes sleeping on the chair so I put those in for them. Their litter box is behind the door (its usual spot). They have a kibble puzzle, some toys, and I sprinkled some catnip.

View attachment 295833
View attachment 295832

I think they will both cry for a while and get very anxious and stressed anyway. :( I hope the repair people come earlier than later today.
You could spend time in there with them until the repair people get there, that should help keep the stress down.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks great! I think you did a good job of making it as comfy as possible for them. Try not to worry.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could spend time in there with them until the repair people get there, that should help keep the stress down.
That’s the thing, I’m not at home :( I work from 10am to 7:30ish today and won’t have a chance to get home before then, so had to lock them in this morning. But the landlady said she’ll be by around 2 to get the repairs done and let them out afterwards. So they’ll be in there 6 hours at the most, I think.

I just hope it’s not too hot and stuffy in there. The fan should help but still. Poor babies.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's actually a bad idea to put a litterbox in a tub or shower especially if it's clumping litter. Anything that gets down the drain is going to immediately clump and stick to the sides of the pipe, even small amounts will stick and build up over time if it keeps happening.
That's why I said I put a puppy pad under the litter box. I actually cover the drain with the pad and have never had an issue with litter getting into the drain.