Can I Keep A Cat In My Room?

The Fancy Cube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am currently researching and seeking how to adopt a cat/kitten, and what to do before adoption. After much disccussion with my family, we decided that any cat would have to stay in my room for at least the first 3 months (This is as far as we could predict). The room is 13' x 10' 6" and I have a one bed bunk, meaning that the space largly already is, and may be more, of a 3D space for a cat. I would be able to let her explore under supervision. We do have a senior cat with us, but she seemes friendly to other cats.

Just wanted some advice before I can continue on the process of adopting a cat (If it's possible with this size room).

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kept Charlie in my room for the first few months because of a dog and a hostile cat. I think it would be okay.

Out of curiosity, why would the cat need to stay in your room?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think the reason as to why the kitten would need to stay in your room is most important.

I would also consider adopting an adult cat if space if limited.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

The Fancy Cube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aye. Thank you for the quick reply. The main reason is that other members of the family aren’t willing to remove harmful objects and other things from the area, and I wouldn’t want a kitten to be able to get at them, ya know?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aye. Thank you for the quick reply. The main reason is that other members of the family aren’t willing to remove harmful objects and other things from the area, and I wouldn’t want a kitten to be able to get at them, ya know?
Then I wouldn't get a kitten. If people aren't willing to adapt, your house is not a good fit.

Shikaslate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sister kept her new kitten in her room while he adjusted to his new living situation. Unfortunately, he was quite a wild child and kept attacking her while she tried to sleep or relax. He would also track litter everywhere even on her bed.

That said, I feel like there are moderately easy fixes for those problems. Playing with the kitten to expend their energy before you go to sleep, not using your hands or feet to play with the kitten, using dust-free pellet litter (still trackable but at least its a pellet and not a bunch of sand), etc.

The Fancy Cube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sister kept her new kitten in her room while he adjusted to his new living situation. Unfortunately, he was quite a wild child and kept attacking her while she tried to sleep or relax. He would also track litter everywhere even on her bed.

That said, I feel like there are moderately easy fixes for those problems. Playing with the kitten to expend their energy before you go to sleep, not using your hands or feet to play with the kitten, using dust-free pellet litter (still trackable but at least its a pellet and not a bunch of sand), etc.
Thanks for your input. I have proven soultions for litter tracking, and I'm guessing other members of the house will warm up to him/her and remove dangerous things.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keeping a cat in your room is fine in theory. But that cat is going to see a door you leave out of but he is not allowed to pass through. This could lead to him annoying the crap out of you digging at the carpet (if there is carpet) or bothering you while you sleep. Remember cats tend to take more of a cat nap and will be ready to play again through the night. Keeping you up. Just some things to consider...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't quite understand why you need to keep a kitten in your room for, as you say,
we decided that any cat would have to stay in my room for at least the first 3 months (This is as far as we could predict).
Because you then say the family is not willing to cat-proof the home

The main reason is that other members of the family aren’t willing to remove harmful objects and other things from the area, and I wouldn’t want a kitten to be able to get at them, ya know?
Kittens are super mischievous. They think everything is a toy or something to sampled. What will happen after the 3 months the kitten spends in your room? Are you going to give the kitten free access, even supervised, to the rest of the home which holds potential hazards the family is not wiling to put away? How will you deal with the kitten eventually realizing that there is a whole world outside your bedroom and starts screaming to be let out constantly, or worse, peeing on your floor, bed, etc?

We do have a senior cat with us, but she seemes friendly to other cats.
There is a senior cat already in the household?:headscratch: Does the senior cat not knock things over, get into mischief, etc? How do you plan to introduce a new cat to the resident senior cat?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thinking ahead, once the kitten goes out in the house there are two important questions. If the kitten breaks something will the family forgive him, you?

If the kitten is hurt or dies from something the family refused to put away, will you be able to forgive that person, the others?

The Fancy Cube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens are super mischievous. They think everything is a toy or something to sampled. What will happen after the 3 months the kitten spends in your room? Are you going to give the kitten free access, even supervised, to the rest of the home which holds potential hazards the family is not wiling to put away? How will you deal with the kitten eventually realizing that there is a whole world outside your bedroom and starts screaming to be let out constantly, or worse, peeing on your floor, bed, etc?

There is a senior cat already in the household?:headscratch: Does the senior cat not knock things over, get into mischief, etc? How do you plan to introduce a new cat to the resident senior cat?
Thank you. I realize there are more things to consider, and there are a low enough amount of hazards that supervised exploration is a good option. For the rest of this, I'll breif you on what my current cat is like, and her situation. She is often hiding (There is nothing wrong with her, its just her personality) and never gets into and mischief. Because of her, the rooms she goes in are often removed of most hazards, and there would be a few things to change, but not many. I have seen a few situations in which a cat, or many in the case im referencing, is in a small enclosed space, but is perfectly happy and healthy. For example, there is a cat cafe that I go to every so often (also where im planning to adopt from if it becomes an option), where as many as 10 - 15 cats/kittens can be held in an area around double the size of my room, and humans are constantly entering and exiting this space. Even thought it is a small usualy croweded area, the cats are perfectly happy in their small environment. I have been planning and researching how to introduce two cats, and am ready to do so when it is needed.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck keeping the cat in your room! They always escape. And it will be hard for you to get in and out of your room. If it were me, I would just cat-proof the house and let her out. Definitely tie down the flat screen TVs, that's the first thing they try to knock over. And make sure no strings/yarn/rope/thread/screws lying around. Put signs on the front door saying don't let the cat escape. As you can tell, I've been through this. ;)

The Fancy Cube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aye. I can tell. Thanks for the support, and I am doing everything i can to cat proof the house on my own if my family wont do it on their own time. (Other than rooms my existing cat goes in, which are already mostly cat proofed.)