Can i have some support? I'm falling apart with my sick cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there. I have another account but haven't been able to get back into it. I have a kitty and he has been through hell and back all his 3 years of life. He survived ITP and got that into remission after two years and finding the right vet to give him a vaccine detox. Before that happened the meds he was on for the disease ended up giving him pancreatitis, dka and sepsis. He survived that 3 weeks in the icu. He was getting monthly pancreatitis after that this last year basically but just a few months ago a new hollistic vet changed all his herbs and he was flare free for 3 months. He was on 5mg of prednisolone for almost all his life and every time we try to lower it he gets sick and I end up caving and putting him back on the normal dose. The vet wanted to lower it from 5mg to 3.75mg and 2 days after that he slowly started declining and now the last 2 days I've been syringing all his calories and he is depressed. Just sleeping. I've been giving him some pain meds and anti nausea and fluids. I used to work for a clinic so I can do the at home support.

I just feel like I'm prolonging a life that should have ended when he was a kitten like his other littermate I fostered. Something was very wrong with that kitty and the vets didnt know what it was. I'm just broken down and it's so hard to keep going and hoping he will turn around yet again. He seems more annoyed than anything and I've seen him sick before all stages and this seems like depression, nausea, maybe some pain. Taking him to the vet several vets just don't know why he gets like this

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I don't know enough about him, but something that might help his emotions a bit could be harp music such as Cat in My Arms, from spotify and elsewhere, or RelaxMyCat or MusicForCats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi
I don't know enough about him, but something that might help his emotions a bit could be harp music such as Cat in My Arms, from spotify and elsewhere, or RelaxMyCat or MusicForCats.
It's Morton. I think you have commented on a lot of his posts. I'll put that music on for him

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm also sending prayers and thoughts to you and poor Morton. I hope that Furballsmom's advice helps too. I know how hard it is to have a beloved pet suffering in any way. Please give him as much love as you can for all of us here.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm also sending prayers and thoughts to you and poor Morton. I hope that Furballsmom's advice helps too. I know how hard it is to have a beloved pet suffering in any way. Please give him as much love as you can for all of us here.
I just don't know why no one knows why he gets sick. everything that happens to him vets don't know the reason or why it comes and goes. It kills me having him hide under the bed from me for hours after I feed him.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we spoke about Mort's ITP before. The "I" stands for "idiopathic," which means they don't know exactly the cause, although ITP is better-understood now than it was, say, 10 years ago. Even though Prednisolone is nasty, if he needs it, he needs it, and don't feel bad giving it to him. Remember, the ITP doesn't hurt (I have it myself). If he's not bleeding, it's working for him.

Under any circumstances, the anti-stress procedures advocated above are a good idea, too.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think we spoke about Mort's ITP before. The "I" stands for "idiopathic," which means they don't know exactly the cause, although ITP is better-understood now than it was, say, 10 years ago. Even though Prednisolone is nasty, if he needs it, he needs it, and don't feel bad giving it to him. Remember, the ITP doesn't hurt (I have it myself). If he's not bleeding, it's working for him.

Under any circumstances, the anti-stress procedures advocated above are a good idea, too.
I put on a cartoon movie Scoob for him he's on my bed now and got cerenia in him. I'm waiting to "torture" him with his feeding. He's watching the movie or at least he was looking at the movie when I was in there and before I left the room and he was happy to get brushes on his face.

His ITP is in remission for almost a year now (month long chinese medicine vaccine detox a vet gave him). But now it seems almost as if his immune system decided to do something else other than attack platelets and it's now giving him chronic pancreatits which I had under control for a record of 3 months with the new vet giving him herbs specifically for the liver and spleen and anxiety and he was doing great.. the pred never helped the ITP OR the chronic pancreatitis but why when I decrease the pred just a little..this happens. His ALT was 330 and that is elegated as 150 I believe is high normal. She thinks it's from being on pred his whole life. So I began milk thistle again because in september when he met this new vet and she gave new chinese medicine she said the milk thistle we can stop and it seems like that was keeping his ALT normal. I stopped the milk thistle several days ago thinking maybe starting that made him sick but obviously not. I started the milk thistle then the next day decrease pred and I think the pred decrease is the culprit

I was reading online depending how long steroids were used it can take a very very long time to wean off of them and not the standard "3 weeks then decrease by this percent..3 more weeks then decrease by another percent until weaned off"

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is gone now. His body couldn't go through another flare and it gave up this morning. We rushed him to emergency care and he died a couple hours in. He was too far gone. And now my whole heart is gone

Kathcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
😢 I am so, so sorry. I know it’s too soon to think about or feel anything but your heart breaking, but I have to say it sounds like you did everything you could (an incredible amount) for your little boy. Despite all the frustration and anxiety and exhaustion you must have gone through, it’s clear that your devotion to him allowed him to live the happiest, most comfortable, well-loved life that was possible for him. It is devastating that no one could find the magic formula to fix his health problems, but as you speculated, it might have just been written in the stars or his genes. I know that’s no comfort now and I’m so very sorry you have to suffer through such a loss.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my no, my heart is going out to you. :(

I am stunned seeing this just now in middle of night. I can't process this type of thing as it hits me like I'm there, I'm sorry, but know I will pray God has a plan and Morton is with him now. I can't even find words right now. Please take care of yourself best you can and find all of us people here to help us all process this loss for everyone on this site. :(

I guess I'm not going to be ok this weekend for a long while.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
😢 I am so, so sorry. I know it’s too soon to think about or feel anything but your heart breaking, but I have to say it sounds like you did everything you could (an incredible amount) for your little boy. Despite all the frustration and anxiety and exhaustion you must have gone through, it’s clear that your devotion to him allowed him to live the happiest, most comfortable, well-loved life that was possible for him. It is devastating that no one could find the magic formula to fix his health problems, but as you speculated, it might have just been written in the stars or his genes. I know that’s no comfort now and I’m so very sorry you have to suffer through such a loss.
Absolutely stunningly beautiful heartfelt post of hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.