Can I give them Cat Milk sometimes?

AngelicGarrison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have five cats but my youngest two are just over a year old. I am tube fed myself and am on a formula and they keep trying to bite my tubes to get the milk out (and have succeeded which leads to a huge mess and me having to replace broken tubing and clean up cats). I wondered if I could buy them kitten milk replacer and give them a few licks of that sometimes while I'm hooking up so they'll hopefully leave my formula (and tubes) alone!

I know Whiskas has one and so does KMR that come in small cans/cartons. Would it hurt my two since they are adults? My friend says some cats who do cat shows are given some weekly because it helps their immune system but I just don't want to hurt my youngest babies.

These are the formula thieves and tube biters haha

dec8 (2).jpg nov26 (6).jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would it hurt my two since they are adults?
Not at all, --as long as their tummies tolerate it you should be golden :)

They are fabulous!!

By the way, would those foam pool noodles be thick enough to keep their teeth away from your tubes? Pvc pipe, or crittercord wire protectors might be too stiff, but maybe in multiple short lengths which would allow for flexibility?

Last edited:

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use the powdered form of KMR. You just mix as much as you need, and don't have to worry about the remainder spoiling. Just mix up two saucers and give them to your cats before you start up your own procedure! Good luck, and let us know how thigswork out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AngelicGarrison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not at all, --as long as their tummies tolerate it you should be golden :)

They are fabulous!!

By the way, would those foam pool noodles be thick enough to keep their teeth away from your tubes? Pvc pipe, or crittercord wire protectors might be too stiff, but maybe in multiple short lengths which would allow for flexibility?
Thank you! Unfortunately adding anything to the tube makes it too heavy and yanked the tube at my stomach which can cause pain and stuff :( I tried pool noodles overnight and ended up in a lot of pain when I tried to move and they yanked.

I'm hoping giving them their own milk will make them more 'oh mom gives us milk when she does this so we don't need to chew on hers' hahaha

AngelicGarrison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Use the powdered form of KMR. You just mix as much as you need, and don't have to worry about the remainder spoiling. Just mix up two saucers and give them to your cats before you start up your own procedure! Good luck, and let us know how thigswork out!
Thank you! We have a Petsmart so I'll check out what they have!
I'll keep you all updated on how it goes

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Goat milk is also an option. Specialty pet stores sell goat milk products such as Primal Goat Milk and The Honest Kitchen Instant Goat Milk. A supermarket such as Whole Foods may also sell cartons of goat milk for people.

Could you rub something like Bitter Apple spray or lemon juice on the tubes to keep the cats from chewing on them to get the milk out?

AngelicGarrison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Goat milk is also an option. Specialty pet stores sell goat milk products such as Primal Goat Milk and The Honest Kitchen Instant Goat Milk. A supermarket such as Whole Foods may also sell cartons of goat milk for people.

Could you rub something like Bitter Apple spray or lemon juice on the tubes to keep the cats from chewing on them to get the milk out?
We're kind of in the middle of nowhere so if Petsmart doesn't have it we won't find it. But I can get the KMR stuff really easily because our Petsmart stocks a bunch because we have a TNR with lots of people rescuing kittens and feral cats so it's a big requested item here.

I've tried the bitter spray and it keeps away the older cats and the little black one but Azrael (the curly eared cat in the photo?) he just doesn't seem phased by the bitter sprays or lemons. I tried them because of the Christmas trees and he just licks the spots haha. I did put tape around the most bitten spots and I try to keep the tubes covered up. But I also feel bad when I shake the formula bottle and they come running haha

I'm a bit push over XD So I'll get them some kitten milk and see how it goes and in the meantime try and keep the tubes covered by the blanket when I can.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I doubt Petsmart or other chain pet store has goat milk products. The Honest Kitchen product is a powder so you can buy that directly from the company or from Chewy or Amazon. KMR is fine, though.

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly I feel like cats know what's good or bad from them. I've only ever had one other cat but they always turn their nose up to things they dislike. If it's small portions I dont see the harm in giving them anything human related as long as it's common sense that if it would cause severe harm to them. Always run a google search on what any animal can or csnt eat.

AngelicGarrison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly I feel like cats know what's good or bad from them. I've only ever had one other cat but they always turn their nose up to things they dislike. If it's small portions I dont see the harm in giving them anything human related as long as it's common sense that if it would cause severe harm to them. Always run a google search on what any animal can or csnt eat.
I think my cats missed the memos on what's good for them and not. The stuff in my formula gives them horrific runs and tummy issues. It's really not good for their bellies. Azrael tries to eat lemons too which is a BIG no for kitties. We are very careful in what we keep where they can get it because two of the five have no life skills and would definitely eat things that make them sick