Can I Get A 2nd Cat?

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello cat lovers!

So here’s my situation. I have one absolutely insane, energetic Bengal cat.

I went to the vet today to pick up some mild sedatives for him so I can cut his nails and there was a poster of the most adorable little girl who needs adopting.

Now, my boyfriend and I had agreed no more cats. We live in a rather small apartment.

But...but...something about her eyes just called to me. I’m going in tomorrow to meet her.

Convince me why I shouldn't do this, guys.

Part of me wants her, but I’m worried about additional cost. But mostly, I’m worried about not being the best person for her.

Ugh! Help!

MistyRino

Mist Is My Cat. :dizzycat:
Young Cat
Purraise
It's really how you feel, and how much you are thinking about spending, when you meet her, ask or watch the kitten for how active she is, because you have the crazy Bengal cat, I would watch for an active kitty, (of course, most kittens are active.) Make sure to think about how much time you can spend, this is a kitten. (Or maybe not, you didn't say it was a kitten.) But another this to think about is litter boxes, more toys, more food, more scratching posts, and more about everything, plus more vet visits! If you do feel like (or know) you have the time and money for it, I would not stop you, butttttttt, there are a few things you have to think about, the two most important is: your current cat's age and his personality. You said your Bengal is 18months, right? If so, that's an 'okay' age, but, if your Bengal is aggressive or too crazy, the kitten/cat you want may have to wait. But, like you said. ""I’m worried about not being the best person for her."" Yes, that is what you want to think about, if you gone all day, that can be a problem, but if you can be there most of the time that's pretty good, I would say if you got her, once she's older you could leave more often, but then think about YOU, if you are to lazy and the kitten is playful, please consider, maybe bringing the Bengal to the shelter that kitten is at and letting them meet? (Make sure the shelter approves) one more thing, gender, and is your Bengal spayed/neutered? If not, please get him/her neutered/spayed.

Is it OK to get a second cat?

Adopting two slightly older kittens may work out, but the general rule is that the younger the kittens are when brought together, the more easily they will accept each other as part of their social group. "Differences in personality can have a profound effect on how two cats may get along."

These may help you too, though.
Considerations When Getting a Second Cat
[URL='http://www.vetstreet.com/dr-marty-becker/are-you-prepared-for-more-than-one-cat']Should I Get a Second Cat?

If you have any questions, please ask, :)
[/URL]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! My guy will actually be two years old next month but he’s still very active, affectionate and playful. The prospective cat is an 8 week old kitten. I could easily get her a littler box of her own, bowls, and we have PLENTY of toys—most of which Aslan doesn’t find interesting, so hopefully she will!

I don’t know...it’s a big decision.

I am cat crazy so I can’t always think straight.

My lease is up in June and I am moving to a bigger place, but until then she’d be in about 500 square feet with another cat.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You said your boyfriend would prefer to be a one cat household. Most rescues require all adults who live in a household to agree to any adoptions. If there are issues with the kitten, will you all be able to agree on working toward solutions or will it be a “I told you so” response? Just something to consider. Kittens can be irresistible

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You said your boyfriend would prefer to be a one cat household. Most rescues require all adults who live in a household to agree to any adoptions. If there are issues with the kitten, will you all be able to agree on working toward solutions or will it be a “I told you so” response? Just something to consider. Kittens can be irresistible
I’d ditch the boyfriend way before I ditched any of my animals, ever. :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hijack! But. . .
The earliest that a kitten should leave its mother is 4 weeks.
NO. Never. Unless the mother dies. Or some very very rare instances in which it isn't safe for the kitten to stay with the mother. Kittens are simply not socially ready to leave their mother at that age and have not yet learned how to be a cat. 8 weeks is the very minimum. Recent studies show that kittens who stay with their mother for 12-16 weeks are better adjusted and have fewer behavioral problems.

Anyway, as for the OP, I say go for it :D. If he's that active he should welcome having a kitty friend. Make sure she's not too timid or he may end up bullying her. At 8 weeks she may be too small and young to leave them alone together, so make sure you have some way to separate them until you're sure everything is fine (if no extra room to put her in, a large crate or pet playpen should work). By 12-16 weeks she should be able to hold her own.

MistyRino

Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hijack! But. . .

NO. Never. Unless the mother dies. Or some very very rare instances in which it isn't safe for the kitten to stay with the mother. Kittens are simply not socially ready to leave their mother at that age and have not yet learned how to be a cat. 8 weeks is the very minimum. Recent studies show that kittens who stay with their mother for 12-16 weeks are better adjusted and have fewer behavioral problems.

Anyway, as for the OP, I say go for it :D. If he's that active he should welcome having a kitty friend. Make sure she's not too timid or he may end up bullying her. At 8 weeks she may be too small and young to leave them alone together, so make sure you have some way to separate them until you're sure everything is fine (if no extra room to put her in, a large crate or pet playpen should work). By 12-16 weeks she should be able to hold her own.
I meant the earliest would be 4 weeks of age, not that perfect moment. :flail:
I would rather choose 8 months, or older of age should leave their mothers, or be weaned away. :) (NOT trying to be mean, just trying to correct!) :)

MistyRino

Young Cat
Purraise
By all I've heard and wrote, here's my finale answer...

GO FOR IT!

If you walk your cat's, or let them have some space until you move, you should be all good, make sure your boyfriend accepts, though, it can make problems, anyway, GO FOR IT, I'd say you are ready, make sure you have everything ready before you get the kitten, though, make sure you know you have the time, and let me say it one more time...

GO.
FOR.
IT!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant the earliest would be 4 weeks of age, not that perfect moment.
That's not the earliest though. If you say it that way, the earliest they could be taken away is birth. But that's not good for them, and neither is taking them away at 4 weeks. It just should not be considered an option unless it's a true emergency.

MistyRino

Young Cat
Purraise
That's not the earliest though. If you say it that way, the earliest they could be taken away is birth. But that's not good for them, and neither is taking them away at 4 weeks. It just should not be considered an option unless it's a true emergency.
OK, thanks for the correction! :)

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you go for it pls give us kitten pictures lol!

Sounds like a good plan to me, if you think you can handle it <3

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hey:)
i had the same dilemma, i wanted a second cat and my husband didnt but we did end up getting a 2.5 month old kitten a couple of months ago. we decided it was best for our older cat so she won’t be so lonely when we are at work and i have to say best decision ever. as for the cost besides the vet every once in a while, it’s not much more then with one cat for us. now they share a big litter box and additional kitten food. food alone for us is 200 a month because we feed mostly wet food. and litter we get the 42lbs bag that is 22 bucks and last us about 2 weeks. so it’s about 50bucks a month.

we were also worried about additional cost of the new kitten but now i just order once a month on chewy food for 200 bucks and sometimes it goes over to the next month.
but it was the best decision we ever made. cannot imagine our life’s without the new kitten.

hope you guys decide to adopt it.