Can I Free Fed Dry And 3x A Day Raw Primal Nuggets?

Ashley&Cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten that refuses to eat the can food I have now but he will eat the Primal freezer dried raw rehydration nuggets. I'm just wondering if it is safe and okay to free fed him his dry food while giving him his Primal nuggets that I mix his once a day probiotic in? (Benjamin says aszsaaS.... he just walked on my iPad screen lol)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Primal nuggets are a complete diet so you can feed him just that provides you are feeding enough. If you are free feeding dry and giving the nuggets once a day that is also okay. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashley&Cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am for now going to just free fed dry food and give 1/2 a Primal nugget once or twice a day to get his once a day probiotic and nutro- cal into him and also his 2x a day 100% pure pumpkin (he is underweight by 2.5 lbs and has bad diarrhea due to the food changes (and stress probably)

I'm wondering if the digestive rate (dry taking longer to digest) will cause issues?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeding more Primal nuggets will be better simply because of the higher water content and better ingredients. If the problems are due to food changes they should level out in a few weeks. My cats eat dry and I am not aware of slow digestion issues. There can be issues with high carb dry because of cats inability to process them well.

What dry do you feed?

Was the diarrhea happening before the good changes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashley&Cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It started when he was on 50% chicken soup for the soul dry Kitten and 50% TLC dry cat food (at that time he was still with the breeder) Before when he was only on TLC dry cat food his poops were perfect. When I got him Friday I had him only on Chicken soup for the soul dry kitten food. Tonight I switched him without transition to GO! All life stages Duck (till his TLC cat food come in which will be within the week) because yesterday he ate little if anything of his chicken soup for the soul Kitten and the breeder recommend a complete switch to hopefully get him eating. He seems to be gobbling down this food so I'm happy with that. I know all the switching around in cat food isn't good for him but I'm hoping he can bare through it till he is back on his TLC cat food which he didn't have any issues with in the first place! I feel awful for thinking everything would be okay on the chicken soup for the soul Kitten! I put him in this mess and it is causing him and I pain and heartache! :'(

My current cat has no problem with transitioning cat foods (she's going to go on the TLc cat food and she is currently free fed Orijen cat and kitten and is having 1/2 can Fancy Feast Classics at 6am, 1/2 can fancy Feast Classics or 1/2 primal nugget at 3-4pm and 1/2 primal nugget at 8:30-9:30pm) I was going to have Benjamin on the Orijen but have decided to just stick with something I know he had good stools on... which is the TLC cat food.

I started the Primal nuggets after he refused to touch fancey Feast Classics with the probiotic in it. He licks his dish clean when he gets the Primal nuggets but right now I want him on the dry food with the Primal nuggets 1-2 I can go up to 3x a day.

Once he has 0 loose stools, is at a healthy weight and is gaining weight at a good rate I will slowly (over weeks maybe even months) transition both him and my other cat to timed raw only feedings (3 times a day: 6am, 3-4pm, 8:30-9:30pm)