Can I Feed Raw Meat To Persian Kitten. Help!

Is it ok to feed raw meet, chicken, beef, fish for 2 months old persian kitten??

• yes

• no

• not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

nazeebmarzook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi friends,

i'm from india,

i have 2 months old persian kitten, currently im feeding her me-o kitten dry food.

can i feed her raw chicken, mutton, beef, fish?

many people told me NO!

some said persian kitten may die if you feed her raw meat is that true guys??

some said cow milk is also dangerous..

please suggest me with good homely food for my cat.

ssssupernova

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you are getting raw meat from the supermarket, grocery store or butcher - NO, cats cannot eat it right out of the packaging. It has been processed and chopped up in factories and places that are full of bacteria. This meat is meant to be cooked. If you want to feed it to your kitten, you need to cook it first to kill the bacteria. And only give a little bit at a time because fat and muscle meat alone is not a nutritionally complete meal.

If you're buying raw pet food that's specially made for cats (like freeze-dried raw cat food), then yes you can feed it to your kitten. Whatever breed she is, all cats can eat raw as long as you transition her onto it slowly and make sure she doesn't have a food allergy to that protein. This forum section might be helpful: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

Don't feed cow milk, it's not very nutritious for kittens and most cats eventually become lactose intolerant anyway. Fish also is not recommended because cats can become addicted to it and refuse other proteins.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes you can feed raw meat to kittens. This is what their mothers would give them in the wild and their digestive systems are built to handle it.

I disagree with the above poster. Many people on this website buy raw meat from the supermarket and feed to their pets. But, I would recommend buying whole meats and not ground meats. Ground meats typically have more bacteria. I also wouldn’t recommend feeding raw fish as it may contain a lot of magnesium. I would start with chicken, turkey, and rabbit (white meats) and go from there. Red meats might be hard on a kitten’s tummy.

This all being said, yes, some commercial raw pet food companies use HPP on their poultry products to kill bacteria (this is not done with supermarket meats) so if that is a worry for you I would do some research to find companies that do that. Also make sure that these companies use whole meats.

Also, it’s very important that if you choose to feed raw meat from the supermarket you follow a well established recipe to make sure your cat is getting all the nutrients it needs. Just feeding raw meat without adding any supplements or following a recipe will lead to malnutrition for your cat. Some credible recipes can be found at:

catinfo.org
feline-nutrition.org

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The OP states that he / she lives in India. The variety and quality of meats there may be different from the US and other countries. Chicken, mutton, and beef are fine as are many other meats. Fish should be limited to occasional treats.

Supermarket or butcher shop meat is fine as long as you keep in mind these things: Buy only whole cuts of meat, never ground meat. Grind or chop the meat at home yourself. Buy only meat that hasn't been enhanced with flavorings, broths, sodium solutions, etc. Meat from a local farmer who freshly butchers an animal should be fine as well but check to see if the farmer takes care of the animals well and the animals are healthy. Sickly animals could possibly pass along parasites and disease.

Plain meat on its own is not a proper diet for cats. You either need to include offal (liver, heart, gizzards, etc ) and bones in the right ratios or use individual supplements. If individual supplements are hard to come by in India, even online, a prey model type diet would be best. The ratio is 80% meat, 10% raw bone, 5% liver, and 5% other organ.

Cats don't have the necessary digestive enzyme to break down the lactose in cow milk. Some cats do enjoy the occasional drink, though. Goat milk is easier for cats to digest but it should still only be given as a treat.

Until you understand how to properly make a raw diet for cats, continue feeding the dry food. If you can, add in canned food as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nazeebmarzook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Currently im feeding her canned(me-o brand) food which contains raw fish(sardine) with prawn jelly.

Is that good for health ?

After observing that canned food, im thinking to feed her raw fish from the market.
Is it a good idea?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks disgusting but I bet the cat loves it! I too disagree with ssssupernova, cats are meant to eat raw meat, from the super market if fine, butcher even better. Many of us do that here. I am just learning about raw feeding myself.

nazeebmarzook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That looks disgusting but I bet the cat loves it! I too disagree with ssssupernova, cats are meant to eat raw meat, from the super market if fine, butcher even better. Many of us do that here. I am just learning about raw feeding myself.
I agree with you!! but so many people say NO to raw meat.

and strictly no to fish. but i wonder how come this canned food is coming with raw fish?

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree that a raw diet is best for any cat or kitten. HOWEVER you must do your research and make sure that your menu is balanced. Raw meat and fish is not a balanced diet. You must add bones or a calcium substitute as well as the proper supplements. Growing kittens need adequate calcium and if you are not feeding a balanced diet, you will be doing your kitten much harm.

If you are not interested in researching on how to formulate a proper, balanced cat food recipe then please continue to feed nutritionally complete canned (wet) cat food.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how come this canned food is coming with raw fish?
It's not raw. Anything in a can is cooked because the canning process requires high heat. Too much fish canned food isn't good for cats either, but the canned food does have the proper amount of vitamins and minerals at least.

If you don't trust the local meat to be fed raw, there are recipes for cooked homemade diets too. They require different supplements, because cooking changes the nutrients, but it is an option.

nazeebmarzook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
give me some home made raw food tips for my persian kitten.

nazeebmarzook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
can i give her cooked white rice with the canned food ??

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitten does not need rice. You must feed her a balanced diet of foods she needs to grow strong. Raw meat can accomplish this if done correctly, as can a balanced pre-made food.

You’ll also want to take her to a vet to discuss vaccines and fixing her. The vet should be able to help with food advice.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
give me some home made raw food tips for my persian kitten.

Please see these resources:

Raw Feeding Resources
Raw Feeding For Cats: The Ingredients
Raw Feeding Cats: Calcium And Bones

I doubt you can get premix supplements such as EZComplete or individual supplements in India. A prey model / frankenprey type diet would be best. You feed 80% raw meat, 10% uncooked bone, 5% raw liver, and 5% other organs. There are recipes here: What does your menu look like?

Additional resources on prey model diets:

A Prey Model Raw (PMR) / Whole Prey Feeding Guide
The Frankenprey Guide to Feeding Kittens - Feline Nutrition Foundation