Can I feed my cat the dog Instinct Raw?

gingercatluci

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I looked at the ingredients and they're identical!
I was hoping to feed my cats the dog version as it comes in bigger bags. The cat variety only comes in small bags that last under a week.. I'm unable to order it and it's the only food my cats will eat. Here are the ingredients:

Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Chicken Bites Frozen Cat Food, 1.25 lbs.

Chicken (including Ground Chicken Bone), Turkey Heart, Turkey Liver, Turkey Bone, Yeast Culture, Pumpkinseeds, Montmorillonite Clay, Apples, Broccoli, Butternut Squash, Salt, Cod Liver Oil, Dried Kelp, Carrots, Spinach, Taurine, Dried Chicory Root, Blueberries

Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Chicken Bites Frozen Dog Food, .5 lbs.

Chicken (including Ground Chicken Bone), Turkey Heart, Turkey Liver, Turkey Bone, Yeast Culture, Pumpkinseeds, Montmorillonite Clay, Apples, Broccoli, Butternut Squash, Salt, Cod Liver Oil, Dried Kelp, Carrots, Spinach, Dried Chicory Root, Blueberries

The only thing lacking in the dog is Taurine

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you're going to go this route, I would be adding Taurine to the mixture! I've heard of others doing this as well. 

I would also look at the data analysis (percentages %), as well as the ingredients! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingercatluci

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Where can I check into the data analysts? I could possibly buy a large bag of dog and ass the mixers for the taurine?

furmummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Besides you checking that the Ca/P ratio is correct for a kitty, (!!!!!!)  just wanted to mention that you can purchase Taurine in bulk.

MUCH less expensive than the capsules!

Check with Iherb or Swanson Vitamins. The "Now" brand has taurine in bulk.

And a HUGE hug and a TON of Purrs!! for feeding a species appropriate diet!!

gingercatluci

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Check the NV web site: http://www.instinctpetfood.com/instinct-raw

The Raw Bites for cats does come in a 3.5 pound bag. You may have to ask the pet store to special order it.
I've actually asked my Petco and they told me there's nothing they can do..mine is probably just incoopertive because I've heard of people special ordering

gingercatluci

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Besides you checking that the Ca/P ratio is correct for a kitty, (!!!!!!)  just wanted to mention that you can purchase Taurine in bulk.
MUCH less expensive than the capsules!
Check with Iherb or Swanson Vitamins. The "Now" brand has taurine in bulk.

And a HUGE hug and a TON of Purrs!! for feeding a species appropriate diet!!
So you mean the Dog is okay for them to eat??
And I'll look into getting Taurine, I know how important fat is to kitties

gingercatluci

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And LTS3, I've talked to the manager at my Petco and they told me they don't do special orders..
Unless mine is just uneducated in not sure if they do or not?

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And LTS3, I've talked to the manager at my Petco and they told me they don't do special orders..
Unless mine is just uneducated in not sure if they do or not?
Petco used to do special orders occasionally on brands they carried, however, since earlier this year - or last, Petco stopped doing special orders.

Do you have access to an independent pet food store? They're usually good with special orders.

gingercatluci

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I do not, there is a family owned pet shop I could possibly ask yo special order for me but I'm not sure how willing they'd be

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is ordering online an option? I know some people here like to order from Chewys.com and other places. Frozen food is usualy shipped with ice packs and such to keep the food from defrosting too much but you definitley don't want the package to sit outside your house in the sun all day.

Give the family owned pet store a try. They might be more willing to order you stuff if you are a regular customer.