Can I cut half of a 3oz wet canned food and feed both of my cats?

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Of course, many of the canned cat food companies are going to go with the shortest amount of time possible - after all, that means we all buy more food more often!! ;)

But, yes even the FDA recommends no more than 4 hours. A lot depends on the food and the environment in which the food sits out.
Here is a TCS article about it as well.
How Long Can You Safely Keep Cat Food Out For? – TheCatSite Articles

So, while I will continue to tell people what "I" do, I will refer them to the above noted article.
Exactly. And each cat will be different. Mine will eat food that has sat out. My parents won’t. You’ll learn what your cats like and dislike

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It’s 3 oz can for each of them in 2 bowls for two meals a day.

So 6 oz a day for each cat. That may not be enough calorie-wise for the cats. What brand of canned food are you feeding? Some brands are very low in calories per 3 oz can so you may need to feed 3 or 4 or more cans daily to meet a cat's calorie needs. The general rule is to feed roughly 20 to 25 calories per pound of body weight daily. 9 month old kittens are still growing but not at the same rate as when they were 9 weeks old but you would still want to feed them some extra food and calories until they are about a year old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VidiaZerena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So 6 oz a day for each cat. That may not be enough calorie-wise for the cats. What brand of canned food are you feeding? Some brands are very low in calories per 3 oz can so you may need to feed 3 or 4 or more cans daily to meet a cat's calorie needs. The general rule is to feed roughly 20 to 25 calories per pound of body weight daily. 9 month old kittens are still growing but not at the same rate as when they were 9 weeks old but you would still want to feed them some extra food and calories until they are about a year old.
So right now we’re trying different brands they’ve had Fancy feast in the past… but we’re trying tiki cat, purina one and pet authority. I was thinking of doing one can in the morning, one can for lunch and dry food for dinner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VidiaZerena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So right now we’re trying different brands they’ve had Fancy feast in the past… but we’re trying tiki cat, purina one and pet authority. I was thinking of doing one can in the morning, one can for lunch and dry food for dinner.
So 3 meals a day and then once they turn one we’ll talk to our vet about transiting to 2 meals a day instead so we’ll see.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So 3 meals a day and then once they turn one we’ll talk to our vet about transiting to 2 meals a day instead so we’ll see.
Regardless of how many meals or what you feed them, the amount of food they get should be based off calories.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper is a picky eater. If we could get him to eat all canned food, we would but he needs to be able to see that his dish of dry food is present for him whenever he wants. If we don't he does the "scarf and barf" thing.

Casper is a rescued cat so he has food insecurity issues. If he feels like his food is running out he'll gorge himself.

Casper gets a half can of food and the rest goes into the fridge until the next day.

The only caveat I can think of is to make sure that your leftover cat food goes into a container with a tight-fitting lid. You can buy snap-on, plastic lids for your cat food cans. They work well enough but I think it's better to put the whole leftover can into a plastic container with a secure lid.

If you don't seal it up, really well, the smell of cat food can permeate the fridge and possibly make the rest of your food smell or taste icky.