Can I breed my cat

Asherah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 9 month kitten who’s a tiny and about half the size of her brother she was the runt of the litter and I’m wondering if it’s dangerous to breed her. I personally don’t want to breed her but I need a reason to get my mother to spay her.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You don't have to breed her even if she doesn't get spayed, you'll just have to put up with her antics when she's in heat. Maybe when your mom hears the yowls she will change her mind.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put your question the other way around: WHY should you breed her? The world doesnt need even MORE moggies. I mean, the world is overflowing with moggies... Both homeless and home pets.

If your mom wants kittens, she can be a foster home cooperating with a shelter. Either just orphan kittens, or the a little easier task; a high preg momma needing a home to deliver and raise her kittens in. Both are praiseworthy and rewarding experiences, also raising your karma in several different religions.

Look, most purebred cats are spayed... So its not enough the cat is sweet, pretty, whatever. If its not excellent for further breeding programme, it usually becomes spayed, even if its otherways fully feasible for a litter or two.

so why in the world breed on moggies, when there are millions out of them??

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 9 month kitten who’s a tiny and about half the size of her brother she was the runt of the litter and I’m wondering if it’s dangerous to breed her. I personally don’t want to breed her but I need a reason to get my mother to spay her.
Although not as common. Female cats can also adopt the habit of spraying. It’s best to cut off those hormones now. Spayed pets are better pets. They aren’t being ruled by their sex drive.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats in heat will drive you absolutely crazy with their meowing. I don't know why anyone would want that for years. If she is that tiny there is a real danger for her to get pregnant too, and the males are so rough with mating she could be hurt. I had two little ones who were young and tiny like that, and they died in birthing, they were ferals and I couldn't save them. Don't put her through that......

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with all of the above comments, AND you never breed a cat until they are 18 months old. Right now she is a kitten and much too young to have kittens herself. It’s dangerous. I hope she will be spayed ASAP.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She should definitely be spayed; it will help both her health and behavior long-term. I highly recommend you look through the articles that Norachan posted. If cost is an issue, let us know, and we can help you find a low-cost spay and neuter clinic in your area. And, regarding cost, I am almost certain that the cost of a spay will be lower than the cost of emergency surgery, should anything go wrong with a birth. For an idea of what could go wrong, check out this article: How To Save Your Cat From These 16 Life-threatening Pregnancy Risks – TheCatSite Articles

The article says that an emergency c-section costs around 500-1000 USD. I can’t be certain of the spay costs in your area, but where I am (a small US city), a spay through our Humane Society’s low- cost clinic costs $40. This also includes all necessary vaccines and flea treatment.

Also, please be aware that millions of cats are euthanized in US-shelters each year. By breeding her, you would be contributing to shelter overpopulation. The only people who should be breeding cats are registered breeders of pedigreed cats. And, even then, nine months would be much too young to start breeding.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The article says that an emergency c-section costs around 500-1000 USD.
If unlucky, it may cost much more. One forumite recently got to pay 4000 (!) for an emergency cesarean.... And yet in wain, nobody survived...

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you explain a little more about your mother's opinions, and why you feel breeding the kitten would help to get your mother to spay her?

We'd all be very happy to help you come up with a better way to convince your mother, but it would help to get more information.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
If unlucky, it may cost much more. One forumite recently got to pay 4000 (!) for an emergency cesarean.... And yet in wain, nobody survived...
$4000 is the usual price for an emergency c-section in my area, also. Don't ask how I know... :(
Thank you for posting this. All the more reason to spay!