Can I adopt two more cats at the same time?

GustifursMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one cat Lucy, she's 8 months old. Three weeks ago our family lost our other cat to FIP. Lucy was very attached to him.

I want to adopt another cat as she needs a friend. I've fallen in love with two cats, one is 2 years old and one is 8 months old. I could give each a separate safe room so that's not an issue at all.

Lucy is very social, loves other cats. The other two cats are also very social and love cats.

Is it nuts I want to adopt both cats?

I think three cats would be so much love!

Am I nuts? Lol

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat shelter volunteer here. Firstly, I'm very sorry to hear about your other cat. FIP is just terrible and I can't imagine what it's like to lose a cat to it. Secondly, at the shelter I volunteer for, people adopt two cats all the time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I think it would be wonderful for you to provide a home to two cats in need!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you're not nuts. I have three and there's no problem. It is a bit overwhelming taking a new cat in, and I've never done two at a time, but don't let the post-adoption blues get you down if you decide to do so. Lots of people adopt two cats at the same time.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Condolences on the loss of your cat. FIP is such a horrible illness. :(
RIP dear kitty. :redheartpump::angel::redheartpump:

As for adopting another cat, or cats, are the 2 cats a bonded pair? If so, that would make the introductions a little less complicated. Though I see you mention a separate room for all 3, so I'm guessing the 2 aren't already friends.

I'm thinking the 2 eight month old kittens would be the easiest to introduce, but every cat introduction is different, so there's no guarantee, but with time and patience, things generally work out.

You may have already seen these, but here are the links to the TCS articles on cat introductions.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Good luck. Hope you're able to adopt both cats, and that they, and Lucy, become one big happy feline family. Keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GustifursMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for the feedback! Lucy is driving me nuts these past few weeks. Without a buddy her eating has become sporadic (eating was a social activity for her with our other cat) and all she ever does is take me over to her toys and quietly wait for me to play. The vet says she's healthy so she's probably just dealing with the loss.

I think with other cats around she'll probably eat better and be happier. I don't want to replace our deceased cat - that's impossible no one will ever replace him - but I'd like to give Lucy a little cat family that she can do things with and feel like part of a tribe!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The issue is that "they love other cats" is quite often worth nothing when its a shelter telling you that, and not necessarily worth much when its a home telling you that either. We have seen that again and again. So if the 2 new cats dont know each other, you have a three way intro going. On the plus side, all three are young, which helps a ton, but the two year old is theoretically old enough that there is a small chance there could be difficulties.

I'd say you are looking at a 6 on the 1-10 introduction difficulty scale. Not likely to be all that problematic, but you shouldn't be shocked to run into difficulties either.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you very much for the feedback! Lucy is driving me nuts these past few weeks. Without a buddy her eating has become sporadic (eating was a social activity for her with our other cat) and all she ever does is take me over to her toys and quietly wait for me to play. The vet says she's healthy so she's probably just dealing with the loss.
You may have already seen this TCS article, but cats definitely can feel loss, and mourn.
Do Cats Mourn? – TheCatSite Articles

That said, bringing one or two new cats into the home could still be stressful for her. So be prepared for the introductions to possibly go longer than you might expect.

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat shelter volunteer here as well - plus have 4 resident cats (one is a foster-failure). In the past, when I had just 2 residents, we wanted to adopt more and ended up getting a pair of bonded kittens - so it was a 2 on 2 intro. It worked out very well - I feel like you would have the easier time if the 2 you want to adopt already know each other (or are potentially bonded); you could still do it if they don't know each other, but I think (as others have said) the difficulty level would go up a bit.

cindersue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have one cat Lucy, she's 8 months old. Three weeks ago our family lost our other cat to FIP. Lucy was very attached to him.

I want to adopt another cat as she needs a friend. I've fallen in love with two cats, one is 2 years old and one is 8 months old. I could give each a separate safe room so that's not an issue at all.

Lucy is very social, loves other cats. The other two cats are also very social and love cats.

Is it nuts I want to adopt both cats?

I think three cats would be so much love!

Am I nuts? Lol

cindersue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! adopt them… Are you nuts? Lol? I am! 😸 and I’m so blessed to have 3 feline children! We have a 13 year old Rag doll, Bucky. He’s very social. We lost two of our kitties, (Joey to cancer and BooGirl to renal shut down)
1921AC26-9286-4C40-8F63-A09F71F66CE0.jpeg
within a week. It was horrible! I’m so sorry you lost the family kitty. We didn’t want Bucky to be lonely so we got 2 babies from Bucky’s breeder. He’s their Uncle Buck!
He is very attached to Spencer, Jean is a bit aloof but they get along fine.
I love having 3 kitties! They are great comfort to each other and to my husband as well!

Attachments