Can Cats Suffer From Withdrawals When Stopping Buprenex?

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just getting ahead of my thoughts here but wondering if Moon will experience any withdrawal symptoms when she stops taking the Buprenex?
She was given 5 days worth after her spay on the 24th of Sept. and took her last dose on The 29th. She was put back on it about 36 hours later after the unexpected immediate extractions Oct 1st, at double the strength for 5 more days. Last dose will be Oct. 6.
Makes me nervous. What are signs of withdrawal in cats? Would they start immediately or take a few days to manifest? What are some things that can be done to ease any withdrawal symptoms?
Again, I’m a few days ahead of any issues that may or may not happen, but I’d like to be prepared “just in case”.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your best bet is to ask your vet. But my experience is that yes, they can go through withdrawal if their body has gotten used to it for more than a few days.

I had to give my last cat Buprenex for many months during her last year. By the end, she was basically in palliative care. :rbheart:

My current cat has gone through some surgeries and we used Buprenex for a while after each leg surgery. For me, my vet instructed to slowly expand the length of time between doses of the last 3-5 doses, tapering out a sort of controlled withdrawal period. Definitely, it is something to really verify with your own vet as they have their own particular hints and instructions.
:sunshine:
How is Moon doing today?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I can understand your concern about Buprenex. As PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws advised, always discuss these concerns with your vet.
I thought this thread might be helpful regarding questions about the medication, long term use and side effects:
Questions about Buprenorphine (Buprenex)

Fingers and paws crossed for Moon. :crossfingers: :bluepaw: Please keep us updated on her progress.