Can cat's over heat?

TMcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been so hot this week and I'm wondering if Frances will over heat I've been putting her in the basement a lot cause it's really cold down there but I was just wondering if she'll over heat is that a thing?

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been so hot this week and I'm wondering if Frances will over heat I've been putting her in the basement a lot cause it's really cold down there but I was just wondering if she'll over heat is that a thing?
What temps are you looking at? Cats can overheat, just like any animal or person. Open mouth breathing is usually one of the 1st signs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TMcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What temps are you looking at? Cats can overheat, just like any animal or person. Open mouth breathing is usually one of the 1st signs.
105 degrees Fahrenheit is the hottest it's been so far.

JulietteTruong JulietteTruong thank you yes I'll definitely keep an eye on her.

Thank you both for responding!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to deal with a feral colony during a terrible drought and heat spell. I made cool spots for them by putting bowls of ice and water in front of fans. It only lowers the air temp a little bit but they all seemed to like gathering under the shade there. I made sure they always had cool water to drink too.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Here's an article for you to read :- ideal-temperature-for-cat

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The basement is good, a really good place during the heat of the day. Our cats always spent the days in the dirt/concrete basement that they could get to from the house.

We found it helpful to wet down sheets and hang them in the way of the breeze from fans to help cool the house a bit. Close all your curtains/ blinds over the un-opened part of the windows to block the sun light. Open windows on opposite sides of the house to make cross drafts. Water with ice melted in it is nice too.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For yourself, consider sleeping with wet hair, put a towel on your pillow. You'll have crinkled hair in the morning, but it helps. So does an ice pack on the small of your back. You can make small ice packs for the cats, some like to sit close to them.

Some cats like to lie in front of fans, some behind them. But this is important. Be sure your fans are stable. Maybe put a couple of large books in front of and behind each end so that if you rattle the fan it doesn't turn over. If they do turn over and you're home, you'll hear the thud/crash.

TMcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For yourself, consider sleeping with wet hair, put a towel on your pillow. You'll have crinkled hair in the morning, but it helps. So does an ice pack on the small of your back. You can make small ice packs for the cats, some like to sit close to them.

Some cats like to lie in front of fans, some behind them. But this is important. Be sure your fans are stable. Maybe put a couple of large books in front of and behind each end so that if you rattle the fan it doesn't turn over. If they do turn over and you're home, you'll hear the thud/crash.
Okay thank you so much for the idea I'll give it a shot!!
Okay I'll definitely try that for Frances thank you!!

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, late reply but I have been dealing with the heat problem too. Its been awfully hot here in Germany with 98 F for five days straight, which is not our normal summer. I have two Birmans, who quickly showed sings of being warm. They were tired and inactive, looking for cooler places in the house. The basement is a good start, if the cat likes being there and has al their needs met. If you want to keep your cat upstairs, there is other ways to cool the cats down. My younger one likes those Icepacks you put in freezre boxes, but make sure to wrap them in towls. The other hates water, but in immense heat doesnt mind a damp towel.

TMcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey, late reply but I have been dealing with the heat problem too. Its been awfully hot here in Germany with 98 F for five days straight, which is not our normal summer. I have two Birmans, who quickly showed sings of being warm. They were tired and inactive, looking for cooler places in the house. The basement is a good start, if the cat likes being there and has al their needs met. If you want to keep your cat upstairs, there is other ways to cool the cats down. My younger one likes those Icepacks you put in freezre boxes, but make sure to wrap them in towls. The other hates water, but in immense heat doesnt mind a damp towel.
Yeah the weather has been really weird here too 105 degree F it never gets that hot here! I live in CANADA!
Okay thank you so much I'll definitely do that!

V verna davies thank you so much! I'll give that a shot!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume from you question that you don't have central air conditioning. Is it possible to purchase a mobile air conditioner? These units have a long tube that can be exhausted out a cracked window. They do an OK job. If you have standard double hung windows a window unit will also work.

Air conditioners also remove the humidity which is really what makes things uncomfortable. Basements are notorious for humidity and dampness.

I'm Canadian as well. Weather has been crazy here. Hot and muggy then two days of thunderstorms, torrential downpours, and gale force winds. Crazy.

TMcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I'll definitely see if that'll work!
I know we broke the record this week in history for the weather it's never been this hot ever before so weird!
Thank you again!

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Always keep in mind, that if you find a kitty or doggy in severe heat distress, use cool water not cold water. Especially if they are unconscious or severely debilitated. Isopropyl alcohol on the feet pads and feet with a fan blowing on them, let evaporation do it’s thing. Wet them with cool water and again, the fan. A cool pack between the hind legs (covered by a towel) Seek immediately veterinary attention. But you can jump start the cooling down process by doing this before you get there.