Can Cats Help People Cope With Emotional/physical Problems?

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This may be a bit of a personal subject and I apologize ahead of time if it offends anyone.

I have suffered from depression, anxiety, and PTSD because of my childhood my whole life. I don’t mean minor depression like when you’re down in the dumps for whatever reason, but for me it can be crippling and sometimes I would have to literally be pulled out of bed to do whatever I needed to get done that day.

I feel like there’s a disconnect between me and other people. I don’t feel understood and most of the time, I don’t understand the other person either. I can’t figure out if the problem is me or them, and in the end, it doesn’t really matter. When I say that I feel a disconnect there’s also times where the wires do connect in my brain and it’s like a system overload and when that happens, I honestly don’t know how to handle it.

I used to deal with a lot of negative thoughts, like why am I still here or why did I even wake up? Let me say now, I don’t condone anyone acting on thoughts like those if you ever have them. No matter how far you feel as if you are sinking, you can always swim back up. Everything gets better if you give it time.

Now let me get to the point of this post. Ever since I got Totty which was 2 1/2 years ago, life hasn’t seemed quite so bad and I’ve had a lot more reasons to smile and yes, laugh too. Not to mention, I can come to a place like this and actually feel comfortable communicating with all of you because of a shared love of cats.

When I’m having a bad day, there’s something very comforting about the purr of a cat. They also seem to sense when something is bothering you and they’ll almost smother you with affection. Whoever said a cat isn’t as personable as a dog hasn’t owned cats like ours. Don’t get me wrong, I love dogs and there’s been talks between me and my wife about adopting one from a shelter, but with cats is where my heart resides.

I got injured several months ago and it required surgery and as I recovered Totty, Tubby, and Phoebe kept me from moping around. How can you be a grouch when you have three little fur balls demanding your attention? They just want love, attention, playtime, a warm place to live, and food which makes them so much more simple than people. To be honest, I like cats better than most people I come across.

My cats have been a great emotional support for me and I always look forward to coming home to them. I was told once that I could take one of them along as an emotional support animal, but I’m on the road Thursday through Monday, so it wouldn’t be fair to make a cat travel that much. In my opinion, it would stress them out. Not to mention, when the shows are in Florida and there’s only a hour or two of driving distance I drive home at night because what’s better than sleeping in your own bed?

What I’m saying is becoming a Cetded has made my life so much happier and my problems are a lot easier to cope with now. I guess I should explain the cetded nickname because most people are like huh? I was born in Holland and I traveled all over UK and Europe, but I didn’t move to the US until 2016. Since I’m not from here I have a bit of an accent at times, so when I go to say cat dad, it always comes out as cetded instead so it became my nickname.

Now here comes my question for you, have cats or any other animal helped you get through a hard time in your life? Helped you find the rainbow after you get through whatever storm you’re going through? I won’t ask anyone to explain the situation, some things are meant to stay private and not everyone is as open as I just was.

I just don’t think animals get enough credit. They might not be able to help us out financially or help us physically move something from point A to point B, but they can do more for us than some people can that’s for sure.

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Yes. I have similar issues that you struggle with. I found out I have asperger's. Once I learned the things it means, the things that normally plague me don't scare me as much anymore. My father has it. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's inherited from him.

There's some websites that explain what it means. It could shed some light on your issues. I know myself it's much easier for me to deal in written words than verbal words. I also have a connection with music. I can't imagine a life without music. And of course cats.

I think many of us can relate to those thoughts we wake up with all our lives. The older I get I just roll my eyes at my mind. My cats have made a big difference in my life. There's dozens of us out there like that. Yes cling to your fur babies and your family. Just know feelings are not facts. And feelings are scary but they don't last forever. Family does. Love wins. Always.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely understand, trust me. I don't know if it's my INFJ personality type or what but no matter how hard I try in life, I don't seem to ever fit in anywhere. I've had a lot of pets. Hamsters, rats, birds, dogs, rabbits, fish, etc. But there is nothing that can compare to Felix sleeping on the foot of my bed or right beside me as I fall asleep. There is nothing like having a cat by your head purring and one by your legs purring at the same time as you fall asleep. It's the most peaceful thing I've ever experienced in my entire life. No spa day or foot massage could ever. No green tea or camomile could ever. No soak in a hot tub or warm bath could ever. People usually say that dogs are great for depression and anxiety but in my experience, the dog only made things much worse. No fault of her own really, I'm just not a dog person I guess. I think it's because cats and I share a lot of characteristics so I always get along well with cats and don't mind their presence. To me, it's like having another human in the house. I've had Felix since I was 11 years old, I'm now 20 years old. So he's been there through all the rough teenager things I had to deal with. I've never enjoyed crying on another animal or talking to another animal as much as Felix. He's the type of cat you can just rest your head on and cry all you want and he'll just purr your worries away. There is no Shoshannah. There is no Felix. It has always been Shoshannah and Felix. It's always been this way and this is how I prefer things to be. And one day, when the Lord decides that it is his time, I will never stop loving him or telling everyone I meet about him. My children will hear about Felix. Even when I'm 85, Felix will always be a part of me.

(Felix at 4 weeks old)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely. I had an abuse/neglect childhood. I don't talk about the exact details because I don't want to give my friends nightmares, and they probably wouldn't understand anyway. My cats give me somebody to take care of and take the focus off my anxiety. They give me a reason to wake up in the morning. I've gotten up at 6am for the past almost 5 years to feed them their breakfast. They need me, so I have to be okay, I have to keep trying.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The job I had carried a lot of pressure both from workload and difficult people and many a time I felt that I couldnt cope with the relentless problems. The only thing that got me through these times were my two cats. No questions, no demands, patience and lots of love were the things they gave me. Sadly they are both gone but I could not have got through many of those lousy days without them. I have three young cats now that make me laugh at the silliest things they do. Who can ask for more.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to work with a girl who had some medical conditions, and her cat used to wake her up if she stopped breathing in her sleep.

A few weeks ago, Shadow suddenly stopped sitting with me and was spending her time exclusively with my dad. She would greet me at the door when I came home but then would go back to him.

My dad finally broke down after a week and told me that he was having a problem with his one foot, a problem that was exactly the same at the one 6 years ago, that resulted in him almost losing a foot and having to go into 2 surgeries.

That was an Aha! moment for me. It made sense that Shadow would want to be there for him when he wasn't feeling good. Right after the ER visit and confirmation that he wasn't going to be admitted to the hospital or lose his foot in the immediate future, she started splitting her time and coming to sit with me again.
She knew though....she knew before I knew, that something was wrong and she was there to offer comfort to him. She probably knew that he was hesitant to mention anything to me, because he knew there was a chance he would be in the hospital again, but this time during the holidays, which he really didn't want.

My dad has never been a great lover of cats, but hes even said that he likes her. I think he may even miss her sitting with him all the time, because now he frequently comes to where Shadow is (usually on my lap) and pets her.

He still gets her during the day before I get home from work. :D

With his health conditions though, Shadow is company for him when I'm not there. He probably would have preferred a dog as company, but I don't see him walking the dog or cleaning up its poo, so having a cat I think is more sensible. I clean the poo and she has all her activities indoors.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are great for introverted people. I personally just don't understand the average person. Animals don't have hidden agendas. What you see is what you get and that's what I love about them. Cats are like soothing and calming friends you can count on. I like it when my friends have dogs but I don't want one myself because they're in your face all the time, hyper, loud and very demanding. They don't fit my introverted personality I guess. And well I have read claims that cats' purrs have healing powers! They certainly are relaxing. I always get very sleepy with a purring cat on me. Very helpful for getting a good nap when I need it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat I just read over a few websites about asperger’s and it pretty much hits the nail on the head with what I experience daily.

I grew up in a very strange household, my father was in a cult and I seen things that a child shouldn’t have to witness. It scarred me, so the few times I’ve seen a psychiatrist or a therapist they blame the way I am unable to communicate on my distrust in people. I’ve always felt like they were just putting a bandaid on what was going on with me and were basically saying you’ll work through it on your own one day. Now I’m 33 years old and it’s still a part of my daily life.

I am so much better communicating with written words than I am verbally as well. I’ve always been that way which is why I wasn’t that great of a student in school. I’d always sink down in my seat so that that I hopefully wouldn’t be called on, but they always did. Those mean teachers.

I do my best to cling to my family, but they all live overseas and while I can call, text, and FaceTime them it’s still not the same as being able to talk to them face to face. That’s why besides my wife and a friend or two I’ve made here, I consider my cats my best friends, my fur kids, and my closest confidants because I can trust them to not tell anyone my secrets. Love does always win, and I think I needed to be reminded of that today. Thank you. :)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Tommy End Tommy End I never felt helped by those therapists either. It was a disconnect. I knew why I felt what I did but I was frustrated with the fact that those intrusive thoughts never were far away. I found the appointments left me feeling more confused than before. There were some helpful suggestions for the issues but I always felt that i never got any concrete answers to what was going on in my head. (((Hugs)))

I'm sorry that you're not close by to your family. I had forgotten about that tidbit when I wrote that comment. When I speak of family I mean those who make you feel safe. It doesn't necessarily mean your blood relatives. I had to make my own family when I was younger and my parents were unable to provide me with the things I needed as a child. They have apologized and we have made headway in repairing these things. But I know they did the best they could. I hope you find some peace soon.

The biggest thing I learned was it's ok to say no. It's ok to recharge my battery away from people. I've always been a loner anyways.

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily It sounds like Felix fills the same kind of role in your life as Totty does for me. I have other cats that I’m equally as bonded with, but he’s the one that is my emotional support and the others are just so darn silly that they keep me laughing all the time. The way I used to handle my pain was that I would get tattoos. I call them my emotional scars because each tattoo of mine has to do with something I’ve been through. They’re each unique and special to me, but one day I woke up and was like I’m running out of skin and I have to find something else to find comfort in and a few months later, I brought Totty home. I’ve still gotten a few tattoos since then, but definitely not one every week or two like I had been doing. The thing that bothers me about dogs is that most of them are just so hyper and loud and I’m more withdrawn and quiet. Most of the time we just don’t mesh. I loved hearing about your bond with Felix and I’m glad he was there for you during your teenaged years. I had a rabbit during that time period that I adored, but it was different because he slept in a cage and wasn’t quite as hands on as a cat can be. Thank you for sharing with us yours and Felix’s story and bond. I found it touching and I’m sure it will stick with me for quite awhile. By the way, he was adorable as a kitten.

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi It sounds like you and I had similar childhoods. I’m sorry that you had to go through whatever it is that you did. No child deserves to have to deal with something like that. It always bothered me as a child seeing other kids happy and playing during recess, or out with their parents doing fun things on the weekend that I was never able to do. If I hadn’t taken up karate, jiu jitsu, and kickboxing to work out my frustrations I may not have turned into the man I am today. I might’ve taken a different route and I don’t even want to think about where that might have led me. You know what? I do the same thing. I used to set an alarm, but now by habit I wake up every morning at the same time to give them their breakfast and I smile as they become an impatient kitty choir as soon as they see me. It isn’t just your cats that need you, the world needs you, so there is no other way for you to turn out besides being okay. You’re stronger than you think you are. Just keep your head up and fight through any negative feelings that come your way. Never let those feelings win. Life may make us deal with battles and once in awhile we may lose one, but in the end we’ll win the war.

Last edited:

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
V verna davies I’m glad that your two cats were able to help you through those hard times dealing with your former job. My job can be a bit difficult and demanding sometimes, but thankfully the people I work with and for are pretty great. I definitely couldn’t ask for anything more than three young kitties. That sounds like the perfect life to me. I’m happy that you have them and I’m sure they are too. :)

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kal_shadowsmom Kal_shadowsmom It’s amazing how intuitive a cat can be. They really do respond to our emotions, even if it’s a turmoil that is just going on inside of our mind instead of being talked about or shown on the outside. Which seems to be what happened with your Dad. She could pick up on his stress and the fact that he was unwell.

Aha, she’s grown on him! I think that’s really sweet that he’s grown to like her the way he has. I’m glad to hear that she’s there with him during the day. I think having an animal for companionship can help a person feel more at ease and less alone. It’s hard to feel too lonely with a cat purring like a motor curled up in your lap.

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kittyluv387 kittyluv387 Yes, they are. I’m an introvert and I was once given a chihuahua after a relative passed away. That dog got on my last nerve every single day with her constant barking. She’d yap incessantly and don’t you dare try and wear sandals coming into the house because she would attack people’s feet and ankles. It was so embarrassing. She’s still alive and well, but she lives with my aunt now. I chose not to relocate her to the states with me. I find the sound of a cat purring very relaxing, but I dislike it when I have one purring beside me and they lull me off to sleep when I’m trying to watch a movie and I wake up just to see the very end of it or the credits are rolling. That happens to me all the time!

Cassadee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m really glad that you posted a thread like this. It’s been nice reading everyone else’s post and learning about you. I got diagnosed at age 16 with bipolar disorder. When my symptoms are properly managed, all is well. But when they start fluctuating is when the trouble begins. No matter if I’m on the high end of things or the low end of things, Sasha is there loving me through it all. She’s a great support and I was actually suggested to get a cat by my psychiatrist and it was the best advice I’ve ever received.

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat I agree that they do leave you more confused. I also find it hard to believe that a person that has only seen me once or twice can slap a diagnosis on me. I’m thinking you only know what I’m telling you, which isn’t very much, so how can you say you’ll feel better after you take this miracle drug?

Hey, don’t worry about it. There’s so many people on here that it’s hard to keep up with what is going on with everybody. Not to mention I’m still pretty new here. I have people back home that are like my family as well, although we weren’t blood related. I’ve made headway in making progress when it comes to restoring a relationship with my mom, but when it comes to my father that’s a lost cause because I’ll never go there. There’s just some things I find unforgivable. Here in the states, all of my friends seems to be my coworkers so I guess I consider them my family because they’re who I’m around the most. I have a pretty cool friendship with a tattoo artist too because goodness knows he’s seen me enough.

I try and recharge my battery Monday through Wednesday because on Thursday I have to be around people until I can make it home again Monday afternoon. I had to make sure to pack warm this weekend because where I’ll be tomorrow is at least 30 degrees colder than here.

Last edited:

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cassadee Cassadee I’m glad that for the most part that your symptoms seem to be well managed. One of my closest friends back home has bipolar disorder, so I can understand how it can affect your life. I’m glad you followed the advice and got Sasha. She’s a real beauty.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha those dogs would be the worst for introverts. I have seen a few well behaved ones but a lot are unpleasant to me.

I had a rough childhood because my parents were terrible parents. Having a pet would have really helped me to cope but it didn't really work out and traumatized me even more. I had a pet male rat and he was so awesome. I let him have free range of my room sometimes and he always came to me when I called him. He was like a little dog. But he ended up getting a tumor and my dad....put him in a trash bag with food and put him in the garbage can. My dad isn't a serial killer or anything, he just had very different views on animals because he grew up poor in Asia. But still it was really traumatic and heartbreaking because I loved that little rat so much. He was my best friend! I still feel really angry at my dad if I think too hard about it, but what can i do. He doesn't feel he did anything wrong in his mind. I brought home a kitten once and he only lasted a year. We never took him to a vet and of course he got fleas so my dad kicked him out. He disappeared one day. I'm hoping he just found a better home. It just hurts so much that I couldn't protect them since I was just a kid. Now I tell everyone not to get any pets unless they're ready. My dad has since softened his views on animals and softened up in general since then. Him, my stepmom and my younger siblings care for outdoor cats and he's ok with them going to the vet to get neutered and some basic medical care.

whimsikitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pets and therapy help. For me at least anyway. I've been battling OCD, anxiety, and depression most of my life and at times when I've found it difficult to smile about anything, my cats have been there to make it happen. My family, friends, and husband are there for me as well, and I am very thankful for that, but the smiling thing, I love that my kitties help me with that :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My DH was in the military when we first met. He is allergic to cats and my last childhood cat passed away 3 weeks after we were married so we didn't have any pets at all. His first deployment after we were married I was still in college but not working. It was really hard on me and I did not handle it well. Before he deployed again we adopted Mooch and Noodles. They definitely made things easier! I was also working full time; so I didn't have time to become absorbed in myself. But when I was alone; I wasn't so alone. They did't even sleep in bed with me; but I still actually slept that time. So yes; they can help immensely.

I still feel my stress drain off me at the end of the day when everyone is in bed and I settle down on the couch and Mooch climbs in my lap. Noodles usually stays next to me and it's not quite the same as having that warm, purring weight in my lap. I've wondered if it isn't similar to the calming effect of weighted blankets.