Can Cats Have Ptsd?

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Honeybun is pretty well adjusted, loud noises dont phase her, i can vaccuum right next to her and she doesnt care. But if im late with her wet food, sometimes she goes into what i can only call a panic. She'll run around the house, try to dart in the garage, run up to me if i open anything crinkly. Whats weird is she cant be that hungry, because i keep dry food out for her 24-7, partly bc of her past. I found her on the street, skinny and scroungey. I wanted her to know there would always be food and shed never have to be hungry again, so her dry dish ALWAYS has food. But she also gets wet twice a day, and if im late making it or we ran out and dont have any she does that panicky behaviour and it just breaks my heart, the thought that shes worried she wont get food again.:/ am i totally off base thinking that?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they can have worries and concerns, anxiety, just like we do. And food is often one of the things cats have anxiety about. Especially a cat that has been hungry a lot. I have had starving rescue cats that have food issues for a long time, sometimes years, but normally they start calming down once they realize they will not starve again. Just keep feeding her well, and on time whenever possible, cats are big creatures of habit, and they can tell time like no ones business :) hopefully she will calm down with her food stress soon!

one kitten i brought home, and he was so malnourished and starved, had serious food issues for almost 2 years. I would feed the 4 their wet food, and he was so afraid he would not get enough he would run to everyone's plate trying to eat their food, even though he had a big plate of his own. Eventually he learned he would not go hungry, and this stopped.

Best of luck to Honeybun, hopefully she will soon understand she will not go hungry again! :purr:

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the garage where you keep extra food? If so, she may just be trying to tell you to feed her.
My one cat acts like I have not fed him in years when it's time to get his wet food, and like you he has a dish of dry available. What's more is, he's never experienced hunger, we've had him since he was only 7 weeks old, and he's 18 now.
He'll start pacing, and following me around the house, like clockwork, an hour before his wet food feeding time. He'll also run to his eating area, or my other cat's eating area (they eat in different rooms) every time I move about the house, like he want's me to follow him. It's quite pathetic :rolleyes3:. It's like he feels he needs to remind me that I need to feed him. And heaven forbid if we were out a bit late and we could not feed him his last wet food meal RIGHT ON TIME! Then the guilt trip really starts! :lol:
I worried at first that I was starving him, but over the years and a few extra pounds later, I know he's fine. Hopefully Honeybun will learn that she will never go without food again, but sometimes cats are just VERY food motivated. Just try your best to find the times that work best with your schedule, where you will be able to be consistent with her feedings. And stick to them as much as possible. :D