Can Cats Have Mental Illnesses?

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
one of my boy cats hes about 6 months old hes extremely sweet loves to cuddle and lay on me when we sleep but he all sudden at times freaks out runs out of the room then will come back 20 seconds later but then jump on my dresser and he looks terrified its so strange i should just take a vid and show the weird things he does it isnt like he heard a noise or i moved around

i wonder if medication would help

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
At six months old most kittens act like they have a mental illness. In the midst of the Zoomies they may tear around like the devil is chasing them, puff out their fur and jump sideways at things they can only see and howl or hiss and imaginary foes. Probably not a one of us former or current kitten parents who hasn’t said “are you insane?” at some point to a seemingly crazed kitten. If something was truly terrifying him he would be in a dark corner or under the bed hiding, so relax and enjoy this special time. They grow up too soon.

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats can have mental illnesses. However as the previous poster mentioned 6 months they are all insane. What you mentioned sounds totally normal at that age. Abnormal behavior is usually skin rippling, pulling out fur, or severe agression.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zoomies are just a way to exercise and practice hunting fighting skills. On the upside, he's not practicing by attacking your foot. :D

He's got to condition those muscles, his survive instincts demand it. Put all the breakable things away, you can't get them out in a year or so. Put the heavy metal things - bookends, vases and the like away too. They can knock these over and be caught underneath them. An 8 x9 x2 inch solid metal bookend can break a leg, the cat's, possibly yours, if it hits at the right angle. Once everything is secured, you can relax and enjoy the wonder of your stuntman in training.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine's about 8 months and he does it all the time. Sometimes he charges down the stairs so fast he snow balls down the last few steps :headshake:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it isnt just that like hes only comfortable around me in my room on my bed he comes inside and he refuses to be anywhere else without me being there like anytime i leave my room he runs with me but if i try to pick him up he runs from me its weird especially when he is outside i cant catch him sometimes it shard to even get him inside but he loves being inside lol

idk its hard to explain he does so much weird stuff he just loves to lay in my bed with me but other than that he doesnt like to be held or play much and hes super skiddish

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nearly every response has been, "that's just the zooms!" It is so common that all cat owners can relate. There's nothing wrong with your boy. Enjoy the show!

Cats being prey animals don't universally enjoy being held or picked up. Some do and many don't. This is not a mental issue but instinct overruling socialization. Cats are still more wild than domesticated. Most cats enjoy some good lap time but they like to do that on their own terms.

Most of the time, my Krista is just content being in the same room as me. But a couple times a day, she'll climb into my lap or onto my chest and start grooming me or my clothing. This is her, "please pet me now" time. She'll purr her head off for 20 minutes and then jump down having had her fill and go off to whatever is next in her busy cat day (probably sleeping next to the radiator.)

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can. I had a cat named Lucky who had been abandoned in our yard by his mother. He eventually became so violent that my parents had to have him put down for our safety :frown:

However, your cat sounds pretty normal to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a normal cat to me.
Is he your first?
no iv prob had over 50 cats in my life his brother is similar to him but not near as bad which made me think he has bad anxiety ill see if he changes in 6 months as hes still a kitten basically

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats can definitely have mental illness, and anxiety conditions are one of the more common. The usual treatment for more serious cases of it is, in fact cat sized doses of the same sorts of drugs humans take for the conditions.

With that said, your kitten sounds pretty normal to me. Still, if you're concerned about it, adding a couple of new vertical spaces ( cat trees, window sill cat ledges, access to tops of bookshelves, etc.), especially ones that get a lot of sunlight may calm your cat a bit, and, at worst, will be fun new places for your cat to enjoy.