Can Cats Get Sunburned Through Sliding Glass Doors?

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i had a large oak tree removed a few months ago. Now that the seasons are changing, the sun is coming through the sliding glass doors much more than in the past. My cats love to sit on the cat trees and watch the squirrels out the doors and I’ve noticed that this week the sun in really shining in. I could close the curtains but that blocks their view. Do I need to be concerned about the sun? They like the view, the warmth of the sun, everything about sitting there.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
i had a large oak tree removed a few months ago. Now that the seasons are changing, the sun is coming through the sliding glass doors much more than in the past. My cats love to sit on the cat trees and watch the squirrels out the doors and I’ve noticed that this week the sun in really shining in. I could close the curtains but that blocks their view. Do I need to be concerned about the sun? They like the view, the warmth of the sun, everything about sitting there.
Cats can get sunburned, lighter colored cats are more at risk than darker cats. They do sell clear uv film for Windows, BuyDecorativeFilm 30 in. x 25 ft. S2M Clear UV Blocking Window Film-S2MCLST30025 - The Home Depot that you could apply so your cat can sunbath without worrying about a sunburn.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you use sheer curtains? You can replace the curtain rod with a double rod so you can have the sheers underneath the solid ones. That's what I have over my sliding door. The cats can see out but the sheers filter out some of the sun.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So long as there is a glass pane in the window your cats will be fine to sunbathe without worrying about getting burned. Glass will block almost all of the UVB rays that cause burns. If you just have a screen, that might cause problems if your cats are hairless. If they have fur I wouldn't worry about it either way :)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I live in an arts and crafts, 100-yr-old building with original windows... I don't think they made UV-blocking glass back then! :dunno: ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I’ll look into the blocking film and try it on one of the doors. Thanks.