Can Cats Be In Pain From A Spay?

TuxedoMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had our 7 month old kitties spayed on Tuesday, and their incisions look ok. But today is Saturday and they started acting tired and listless yesterday evening. They were taking pain meds (Buprenorphine HCL) but they had their last dose yesterday morning. Could it be that they are just having some pain? They are eating and drinking ok, and playing a little bit, but not as much as normal. t

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's usual for cats to be kept as quiet as possible for seven to ten days after they have been spayed. This is the amount of time it takes them to heal. If they have overdone the running and jumping they may be feeling a little worst for wear. As long at their incisions look ok and they are eating and drinking they should be fine.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Missy was spayed when she was about 6 1/2 months (almost a year ago). I took her to the vet around 9am (with an empty stomach) and I brought her back home around 2pm. She seemed traumatised by the operation (refused to eat and drink for almost 2 days and was much more suspicious and cautious and less playful than before the operation). I had the impression that she had some pain, and that it was not the most positive experience for her... She recovered well and went back to normal. , but... she still hates the vet.

After the operation she did'nt stop to show me her belly, to remind me of what she had gone through...

82.JPG

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Females do have pain from the operation as it is invasive; unlike the males, who have a completely different procedure, which is not invasive.

I also want to ask specifically which food are you feeding? I ask because a friend just had a bad experience with a new bag of food she used for a long time, and all the cats in the house became lethargic. A complete change of food has them all perking up again. She plans to report to the manufacturer. It is a bag of Purina One kibble which caused huge issues in her cat clowder. Thank goodness she has it under control now, after a major upheaval for a week.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you were giving Buprenorphine twice a day, even for 3+ days only, they're liable to feel a tad weird without it once it has been discontinued. The brain and body take some time to adjust w/out it. I'm sure they'll improve over the next few days, and their normal kitten behavior will return! They should keep improving unless something else is wrong. If they still seem listless in a day or three, it wouldn't hurt to contact your vet.
:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TuxedoMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Females do have pain from the operation as it is invasive; unlike the males, who have a completely different procedure, which is not invasive.

I also want to ask specifically which food are you feeding? I ask because a friend just had a bad experience with a new bag of food she used for a long time, and all the cats in the house became lethargic. A complete change of food has them all perking up again. She plans to report to the manufacturer. It is a bag of Purina One kibble which caused huge issues in her cat clowder. Thank goodness she has it under control now, after a major upheaval for a week.
Hi, They are doing better today. We are feeding them Purina cat chow, and Friskies wet food, we adopted them about a month ago and that is all they will eat. Today Victoria had explosive diarrhea, so I am calling the vet first thing tomorrow morning (she didn't seem to be bothered by it). They both have been having diarrhea on and off since we got them, and I am almost positive it is there wet food, since we have had had stool samples come back negative for parasites, and their blood work was also normal. The first week we got them they were on metronidazole until it cleared, but it came back sporadically almost as soon as they went off of the medicine.