Can Cat Catch Something From Another Cat Through Door?

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's a neighborhood cat that's been harassing my cat for the past few months - he'll come around in the morning occasionally and seriously agitate her. My bedroom is connected to a porch/ground floor balcony area, and has two perforated metal doors (layered with French doors) that lead outside.

Until recently, the outdoor cat just used to sit at the edge of the balcony, stare at the doors, then leave. Today he walked all the way up to the doors and was literally inches away from my cat, who was really upset and slamming herself against the door.

My main worry is, can Smo catch some disease from this cat from being in such close proximity to him? I'm paranoid she could get fleas, worms or catch something like ringworm this way. I'm also worried that he keeps escalating how close he'll get to her - every time he shows up he seems to get closer and is not intimidated by her at all despite her screaming.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would think if there is a closed OUTSIDE door between them, she should be ok, but if you walk out into that area, it's possible you could bring something back on your clothing or shoes. Perhaps you should try to discourage that cat from being in that area, mainly because he is bothering your cat and causing her anxiety. And stress is not good for any cat. I would try to shoo him away any chance you get. They even make things to discourage ferals and strays out of peoples yards. Thanks that make noise like hissing, that sort of thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens I try not to walk onto the balcony as much as possible, but it's connected to a sort of porch area where the tenant mailboxes are. Packages will sometimes be left in that area, which worries me. That cat typically perches on the balcony ledge which he jumps onto from the garden, but you're right that I really need to get deterrents ASAP. I wasn't sure it was necessary because he's never gotten so close before, but clearly he's feeling braver.

There are two doors like this (tried to attach a pic of my own but it was too large). The metal has tiny perforations (maybe 2-3mm in diameter from top to bottom):

There are French doors that cover the metal doors, but they're left open 24/7 until wintertime because it gets very stuffy inside.

I'm going to pick up some SSScat canned air, and seeing if I can prop up a Halloween toy on the corner of the balcony to scare him off. Also, I've seen lemon furniture polish recommended here before - would Pledge spray work? And would it bother my own cat? I'd be spraying 3-5 feet from the doors, which is why I've been hesitant to try it. Smo's litterbox and food bowl are a few feet away from the doors too.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think the SSSCcat might do the trick. As far as the lemon scented Pledge goes, my hubbyused that on our furniture and it doesn't do anything to deter our cats. They lay right next to our furniture, sometimes ON it. I went so far as to make a spray of lemon oil and water to spray on our seat cushions to try to deter one of our guys from scratching on them, but it didn't work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens Yeah, I guess it depends on the cat. I use orange-scented Nature's Miracle when Smo pukes around the house, and while she doesn't love it she doesn't seem all that bothered by it. I think I'm going to get a couple bottles of SSScat and maybe prop a fake skeleton on the corner of the balcony if my landlord will let me.

Uncled Uncled Freakin' cats. They are so strange.